Phantis Forums

CL English dominance

DUDE

For the first time in the history of the CL, 4 teams from 1 country have made it to the last 8. This is an unbelievable acheivement and highlights the dominance of the English game. To be perfectly honest, Inter were very harshly treated in the tie with Liverpool (if not, downright robbed) receiving a red card in each leg, with both being a ridiculous decision!!! Nonetheless, few people could argue that the English top 4 aren't among the elite teams in Europe. It's an incredible acheivement and congrats to them, and to our very own Englishman, Morphi.

My personal analysis of their success is pretty simple = Combining British tempo and physicality with continental technique. They come at you incessantly (in the typical British fashion), and each attack has real quality in it too. It's virtually impossible to repel the attacks for too long.

It's a lesson the Greek teams should learn! Anyway, who's got the balls to vote against an English team winning it this year?

Personally I fancy Man Utd or Chelsea.

P.S. How good would a Man Utd vs Barca tie be in the next round? :tup:

2. Is this the CL we want? Four teams from a single country in the quarterfinals???

Definitely not! Imo, there should be 2 clubs per country, with the holders having 3 (that would be the national reward for winning it).

In the short term that might make the tournament weaker... I mean instead of having the top leagues' 4th & 3rd placed teams (Liverpool, Arsenal, Sevilla, Valencia, Milan, etc) imagine having the teams of weaker leagues, (PAO, Spartak Moscow, Ajax, Anderlecht, etc).

However, after a few years of building up a substancial fianancial base and prestige, those weaker teams will be able to compete with the bigger teams in attracting big players. So instead of the top 4 Prem teams monopolizing the best players, many of those players will chose a less prestigious league in order to play in the CL.

That will make the CL more representative of EU football as well as improve the strength of the UEFA Cup.

I disagree with your first comment though file. The Prem teams still constantly attack in Europe, they just combine it with continental quality.

cutting it to 2 teams per nation will weaken the competition but will strengthen the uefa cup which is poorly attended particularly in the early stages. personally i'm in favour of that, i'd go further and have only the champions of each country and the holders, then the uefa cup would be really strong, also the cup winners cup should be reintroduced.

i think man u will win it, but you can't rule out arsenal. barcelona are 8pts behind an average real side(average by their standards) so i can't see them do anything.

i've said it for a long time the english league is way ahead of the rest

cutting it to 2 teams per nation will weaken the competition but will strengthen the uefa cup which is poorly attended particularly in the early stages. personally i'm in favour of that, i'd go further and have only the champions of each country and the holders, then the uefa cup would be really strong, also the cup winners cup should be reintroduced.

i think man u will win it, but you can't rule out arsenal. barcelona are 8pts behind an average real side(average by their standards) so i can't see them do anything.

The English elite (top 4) are way better than any other countries top 4, but the English league overall is not that good. That's why they're all getting battered in the UEFA Cup...

Blackburn fell to Larisa, while Everton, Spurs and Bolton are all on the verge of going out.

I think the only League that can realistically compete with the EPL is La Primera Division.

Try having each team from Spain play against its ranked counterpart in England! Should be interesting. :)

Btw, I'm in full agreement with those who want to make the CL more representative of Europe! :tup:

I think the only League that can realistically compete with the EPL is La Primera Division.

Try having each team from Spain play against its ranked counterpart in England! Should be interesting. :)

Btw, I'm in full agreement with those who want to make the CL more representative of Europe! :tup:

Ah you see, now in that situation I think La Liga would win, so would Serie A (possibly). But the top 4 in the Prem would come out on top imo.

As for making it more representative... Platini tried that but he was opposed by the elite clubs (G-14 or whatever they're called) and he was forced to fold. Bullshit! They kill football! :tdown:

@dude disagree file, bolton are resting players when they play in europe to avoid relegation, yet they still dumped atletico out who are 4th in spain. tottenham are 11th in england and lost on penalties to the top team in holland. not sure what happened to blackburn maybe thier lack of european expierience full credit to larissa though. the reason the EPL is so strong is money aston villa are 6th yet can still shell out 9.5m gpb on ashley young what other team thats 6th in their respective league has that sort of spending power. the wages are higher and all the top foreign talent wants to play in england. la liga used to be better but not anymore.

1/EPL

2/LA LIGA

3/SERIE A

4/BUNDESLIGA

5/french league

6/dutch league

7/portugease

also check this report out in todays times very interesting about foreign players in europe.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/foo...icle3543014.ece

@dude disagree file, bolton are resting players when they play in europe to avoid relegation, yet they still dumped atletico out who are 4th in spain. tottenham are 11th in england and lost on penalties to the top team in holland. not sure what happened to blackburn maybe thier lack of european expierience full credit to larissa though. the reason the EPL is so strong is money aston villa are 6th yet can still shell out 9.5m gpb on ashley young what other team thats 6th in their respective league has that sort of spending power. the wages are higher and all the top foreign talent wants to play in england. la liga used to be better but not anymore.

1/EPL

2/LA LIGA

3/SERIE A

4/BUNDESLIGA

5/french league

6/dutch league

7/portugease

also check this report out in todays times very interesting about foreign players in europe.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/foo...icle3543014.ece

I won't argue because there's a distinct possibility that you're right, Everton put on a great show yesterday for example, so I can understand both sets of arguments. One thing I will say, physicality is v.imp in my opinion and the Prem is miles ahead of anyone in that respect so it may very well be the most effective league even if others are better technically.

The one thing I do disagree STRONGLY about though is that the Dutch league is 6th best in Europe. No way, it's shockingly bad.

Can I ask why you think the Prem is better than the rest? Irlandos has said it's because they've realised they don't need to attack all the time (hence the reasons are strategic), I think it's because they've learned to combine British physicality/athleticism with continental technique. What do you think?

The one thing I do disagree STRONGLY about though is that the Dutch league is 6th best in Europe. No way, it's shockingly bad.

Can I ask why you think the Prem is better than the rest? Irlandos has said it's because they've realised they don't need to attack all the time (hence the reasons are strategic), I think it's because they've learned to combine British physicality/athleticism with continental technique. What do you think?[/b][/color]

also money, the best players are in england the best coaches are in england, the facilities are great, look at the third tier of english football leeds and notts forest getting gates of over 20000 that doesn't happen in other countries. also mid table prem teams can spend big (newcastle villa spurs) so now players who are playing for the top team in say portugal or holland or france would jump at the chance to play for a mid table prem team which makes the league really strong.

@dutch league

a few years ago ajax used to challenge and win the european cup, dutch teams were strong in europe, but because uefa gave england spain and italy 4 champions league places these teams could spend more hence players would leave holland for these teams to the detriment of dutch football. its a shame because i prefered the days when the likes of benfica ajax celtic marseille red star panathinaikos could reach the latter stages of the european cup without it being a suprise. its wrong that 4 teams fron england are in the last 8. last season 3 of the last 4 were english. a few seasons ago it was spanish dominance with valencia real and barca in the last 4.

• 4 weeks later...

The English elite (top 4) are way better than any other countries top 4, but the English league overall is not that good. That's why they're all getting battered in the UEFA Cup...

Blackburn fell to Larisa, while Everton, Spurs and Bolton are all on the verge of going out.

exactly...

the Top 4 of England are great teams.... the rest are good, but realistically I cant see any team in the next 10 years winning the EPL except for one int big 4.. the talent gap is huge.... unless and Abramovic type deal happens to another team...

also in UEFA remember Bolton and Blackburn couldnt hold their own with OUR superleague midtable teams..... :LOL:

as for the Big 4 making it in Europe.....

theyve all started doing things right whats to say....theyre fantastic teams finally and not just overrated junk (sorry, in the last recent years, they were really not that good)

Liverpool won the CL in a year they were just ok and extremely lucky.......

Arsenal went to the finals and they were incomplete team (they were really just pure defensive football themselves and Villareal screwed it by missing that awful PK and making just terrible decisions on the field when the game was in their hands...

But now Liverpool has a lot of recent experience, Arsenal's youth is becoming superb and Henry's departure has allowed them to develop as a team and there better than Ive ever seen them. Chelsea's stars have years of experience now, and Manchester United are good but basically little bastard Ronaldo has basically become the World Player of the Year....

NOW theyre on top of Europe, and its deserved.

Edited by drakos13

For me, this dominance is bitter.

Man United is the only team with a real respect and policy towards English football in general. Ferguson has backed the UEFA's project to instaure quotas like in the old days.

Chelsea have a few good English players but they often play Lampard, Terry, Joe Cole and As.Cole.

Liverpool use to have a huge academy with talented players. Benitez has declared that this academy was a failure :blink: and now, you barely see an English player at Anfield.

Then Arsenal, managed by the most anti-English bloke I know, well, like most of the French community in the UK, slagging our culture but more than happy to benefit from our economic system is simply not an English team anymore.

Behind these teams, UEFA cup seems to be a much more difficult cup for most "big" teams anyway. This season Zenith are a major surprise and even Bayern look set to be kicked out by Getafe.

People love to critise this cup but if the big guns were up for it, the cup would look less boring than it is now.

The financial dominance of English football will backfire one day, just as in Italy. This season, Bournemouth, Luton Town, Rotherham and to some extent Leeds went through administration. In the SPL, Gretna could have simply closed down without the season being over! Their attendance was a joke (last game, 431, a record low!). At the end of the day, the sooner the lower clubs will invest in grassroot football, the better.

Then Arsenal, managed by the most anti-English bloke I know,

Wenger isnt anti english, he just doesnt want to pay an inflated price for average players. How much would Clichy, Toure, Adebayor, Van Persie, and so on cost if they were English?

People love to critise this cup but if the big guns were up for it, the cup would look less boring than it is now.

The big clubs are up for it, but the lesser-reputed teams are better. Zenit are an excellent side with excellent players. Arshavin would get into any team in the Premiership while Zyrianov would be at someone like Spurs or Pompey, etc. Dont let the names fool you; names dont win games. If I'd told you Vidic was the best centre-back in the world when he was at Fiorentina, most people would have laughed. Now no one would laugh. If I'd told you Stoichkov was among the best strikers in the world when he was at CSKA Sofia most people would have laughed, etc.

The financial dominance of English football will backfire one day, just as in Italy. This season, Bournemouth, Luton Town, Rotherham and to some extent Leeds went through administration. In the SPL, Gretna could have simply closed down without the season being over! Their attendance was a joke (last game, 431, a record low!). At the end of the day, the sooner the lower clubs will invest in grassroot football, the better.

I disagree, the big spending backfired in Italy because they were spending beyond their means. Arsenal and Liverpool have a strict budget, while Man Utd spend big, but wisely. Chelsea spend crazily but Abramovich will hardly run out of cash. By buying success as it were the Premiership has become the most watched league in the world, and it isn't just the big 4 that benefit from the TV money. As for the lower teams like Luton, Leeds, etc. Yes they've had money problems, but compare the quality of lower league football in England to the quality of lower league football in Italy, France, Spain, etc.

So smile mate, the English football's future is bright! :D

the Top 4 of England are great teams.... the rest are good, but realistically I cant see any team in the next 10 years winning the EPL except for one int big 4.. the talent gap is huge.... unless and Abramovic type deal happens to another team...

2 points to make here firstly the english teams did not get battered in the uefa cup bolton are about to be relegated and rested players for their uefa cup matches in order to concentrate on premier league survival and still beat atletico madrid and norrowly lost to sporting.everton got knocked out on penalties and tottenham(11th in england) lost on penalties to the leaders of the dutch league and current dutch champions.

second point outside of the top 4 you're right no one for 10 years will win the EPL(well top 3 because liverpool will never win it) but its exactly the same in every other league in europe. when was the last team to win the greek league outside of pao oly or aek ?? lyon in france will real or barca fail to win la liga ? in italy when did serie a go to a team other than milan inter or juve ?

For me, this dominance is bitter.

Man United is the only team with a real respect and policy towards English football in general. Ferguson has backed the UEFA's project to instaure quotas like in the old days.

Chelsea have a few good English players but they often play Lampard, Terry, Joe Cole and As.Cole.

Liverpool use to have a huge academy with talented players. Benitez has declared that this academy was a failure :blink: and now, you barely see an English player at Anfield.

Then Arsenal, managed by the most anti-English bloke I know, well, like most of the French community in the UK, slagging our culture but more than happy to benefit from our economic system is simply not an English team anymore.

ashley cole david bentley both produced by wenger theo walcott has improved tremendously under wenger. since when did the scott that is mr ferguson start caring about english football, wenger benitez would love to have the money to spend on the likes of ferdinand rooney or even hargreaves or carrick. does it really matter if you have 7, 8, or 10 foreigners in your starting 11 ? AEK athens in a couple of uefa cup games lined up with only 2 greeks, materazzi was inter's only italian when they played liverpool barca only have a few spaniards in their line up why is it only the english that dislike having lots of foreign players in their teams ? realise that every european league(besides turkey who only permit 6 per squad) has loads of foreign players and be thankful that the best ones are in england

Well, 4 out of 8 became 3 out of 4 tonight, with Chelsea, Liverpool and Manchester United progressing. Only Arsenal (from the English teams) was eliminated.

The only team of another nationality to make it this far is Barcelona.

its a shame I really thought this Arsenal side was finally worthy of a final (not that garbage side they fielded in 2005)

they played well this tournament, and its such a shame that seconds later they gave up a penalty... Liverpool really are lucky every year to get as far as they do....

that Walcott run and pass - finish was :nw:

very exciting game.....

I was hoping for Roma but they were just lame...Manchester showed they had more class....

Man U vs Barcelona ......... :tup:

and its a GOOD barcelona and a GOOD Manchester side......Finally!

its been a long long time since Man U been this far, and finally have a team worthy of their old days as well.......this one is going to be a great match!

I do admit that I hate English sides, but this year theyre simply very good and deserve to be there.

I think next year is going to have a great competition also.... one of the most compettive EVER......

were looking at very strong clubs that actually are looking more better than they have been in recent years, all taking part in the competition :o

Manchester United

Liverpool

Arsenal

Chelsea

Barcelona

Real Madrid

Inter

Milan (hopefully!)

with the Return of old timers:

Bayern :tup:

Juventus

Atletico

Ajax

FC Porto

PSV

Benfica

possibly La Viola (Fiorentina :tup:)

Steaua Bucharest

and dangerous newcomers like Zenit St Petersburg :nw:

and the even the usual losers of the tournament are starting to put up fights:

Fenerbache

Olympiakos

every team will be very dangerous!

2 points to make here firstly the english teams did not get battered in the uefa cup bolton are about to be relegated and rested players for their uefa cup matches in order to concentrate on premier league survival and still beat atletico madrid and norrowly lost to sporting.everton got knocked out on penalties and tottenham(11th in england) lost on penalties to the leaders of the dutch league and current dutch champions.

second point outside of the top 4 you're right no one for 10 years will win the EPL(well top 3 because liverpool will never win it) but its exactly the same in every other league in europe. when was the last team to win the greek league outside of pao oly or aek ?? lyon in france will real or barca fail to win la liga ? in italy when did serie a go to a team other than milan inter or juve ?

Mate Bolton only rested players in the game against Sporting (while against Aris Anelka was on the bench, but came on), so they did not play a 2nd team. Also, Bolton only became a relegation-level side after Anelka left, so apart from the Atletico result (which was amazing) they didn't do anything.

What did Tottenham do? They beat 2nd rate teams, got a shot at PSV, were lucky not to cop 5 at the Lane, then they put in a rugged performance to fight their way back into the tie but deserved to go out.

Blackburn were dominated and humiliated by a Larissa team pre- Zurawski and Metin.

Everton were the only team that did really well imo.

You have to place the debate into context, it's not that these teams were "battered" as such, but rather that they came from England, so you expect them to do better. So the English top 4 are much better than others' top 4, but from there down they aren't.

(I'm not saying I agree with this argument, because i think the british style is very dangerous which enables them to compete, but i'm just explaining the view that english teams didnt do well in the uefa cup this year)

bolton were playing sides who were top of thier league so were tottenham who could have hammered psv in holland if it wasn't for the heroics of gomez (psv keeper) bolton were still around 16th when they beat atletico who are 4th blackburn were the only side that flopped. 5th 6th 7th 8th place in england are better than the same positions in any other league because they have greater spending power

5th 6th 7th 8th place in england are better than the same positions in any other league because they have greater spending power

As the league's stand:

England:

5 Everton

6 Portsmouth

7 Aston Villa

8 Blackburn

Italy:

5 AC Milan

6 Sampdoria

7 Udinese

8 Genoa

Spain:

5 Racing Santander

6 Sevilla

7 Espanyol

8 Athletic Bilbao

Germany:

5 VfB Stuttgart

6 Bayer Leverkusen

7 Wolfsburg

8 Eintracht Frankfurt

With the exception of Spain (who have had a very unusual season with Valencia, Getafe, Osasuna and Zaragoza having had a poor season), the Premiership's 5th-8th is worse than all of the above leagues. And since you bring spending power into the equation, yes these Prem sides spend more which shows how comparatively useless they are. Zenit would hammer any of those English sides, I'm pretty sure our top 3 in Greece would also beat them, while Aris & Larissa could give them a good game. So spending-power doesn't mean anything if the buyer is ignorant.

how come everton beat zenit then ??

the german and spanish teams in that list forget about, and with the exception of milan the other 3 italian teams won't touch the prem teams

So are you telling me that those 4 prem teams are better than those 4 german sides?

And how long's it been since you've seen Udin & Sampdoria?

Sorry mate but i think you've got a serious case of Premiership-propaganda disease! :P

imo you're both right and your both wrong (js1000 and Euro2004). The Serie A teams for example, play a higher quality game which is more pleasing on the eye, but the Prem teams are more effective and more difficult to deal with. I'd rather PAO play Genoa than Blackburn for example.