Phantis Forums

Referees from mainland Greece

Irlandos

http://www.uefa.com/footballeurope/news/ki...sid=664149.html

There is this apparent belief that Greek refs will do a much better job than Cypriot refs. hahahahahhaha &nsbp; &nsbp;If they really think that Greek referees are so much better I have to say there are two concerns:

1 - How bad are the Cypriot refs, and

2 - Is EPO is such a state of denial that they do not see what is going on in the Super League.

Cypriot refs are that bad they want Greek Refs?

I dont think they know what theyre getting into.

I guess thats Cyprus for you....instead of launching a program to better their own refereeing standards they think they can outsource them??? Whats going to become of Cypriot referee's then? Will they have to train in Greece just to work in their own island?

Also Greek ref's are hard not to be biased to teams like Omonoia whose fans have slandered Greek flags and history in the past....

Is this the first step to an Enosis of FA's?

Personally I think league quality would be better if that happened, with Anorthosis and APOEL who are much better competition than teams like Livadiakos and Veroia.... but I dont want Cypriot teams denying chances of already slow to progress football in Greek islands, as well as Peloponiso.....

Drako, this hallucinating about the actions of Omonoiates has gotta stop. Other than you, I have not heard one mention of Greek slander. My cousin, is the captain. My thio, is an Omonoia legend. I think I(and they) would know. You need to educate yourself on Omonoia

• 2 weeks later...

Games in Cyprus have been marred by allegations of favoritism among local referees, while teams' links with rival political parties is another source of tension.

I think this bit from the International Herald Tribune says it all. A referee from Edessa or Kalamata will not be accused of favouritism based on politics or local club loyalty.

Not sure why everyone thinks that Greek refs are so bad? Its the assistant refs in Greece that are God awful.

Off the top of my head, I can think of at least four quality Greek refs-Vassaras, Kasnaferis, Kakos, and Kalopoulos.

Of course there are complete incompetents like Fotiadis and Briakos, but I think you can find that in most other countries as well.

Archived