Phantis Forums

Anorthosis

DUDE

http://www.uefa.com/footballeurope/news/ki...sid=652249.html

Following a great UEFA Cup campaign Anorthosi are 12 points clear at the top of the Cypriot league. Are we on the verge of seeing the first Cypriot team qualify for the group stages of an EU competition? Let's not forget that even when Anorthosi were crushed 6-1 away to Spurs, they were the better side until 3 goals in 3mins (moments of madness!). It appears that the occassion overwhelmed them, but in terms of footballing quality Anorthorsi aren't far off. As Konstantinou says in this article, all is needed is a favourable draw and a bit of luck.

:gr:

• 1 month later...

I think Anorthosis are definitely a power to be reckoned with. They have proven themselves locally again this year and have also proven their accomplishments in Europe (who can ever forget their qualification v. TS?) were no fluke.

I would, however, like to see a wee bit of flexibility in their play as they seem to retain the same tempo no matter what the score is.

I think Anorthosis are definitely a power to be reckoned with. They have proven themselves locally again this year and have also proven their accomplishments in Europe (who can ever forget their qualification v. TS?) were no fluke.

I would, however, like to see a wee bit of flexibility in their play as they seem to retain the same tempo no matter what the score is.

Personally, I think tempo is the biggest problem for Greek teams generally. We have technically gifted players, for example, in Greece we have Ribo, Lybe, Stoltidis, Djole, Karagounis, etc, who are just as good "technically" as players like Lampard, Makallele, Hargreaves, Carrick, etc. The difference is that the Prem boys can do it at a high tempo, we seem to want to slow the ball down and play at a comfortable pace. This is also the problem with Ano. Needless to say the quality of the Ano is lower than the top Greek teams, but the problem of tempo applies for them too.

• 5 weeks later...

he should be happy......Anorthosis is the best team in Cyprus, and they would be the only ones have a shot at CL.... I really liked this team whenever I saw them in Europe, trouble was they had very poor strikers and couldnt finish chances, but did great in midfield and posession.... I see they have Sosin now who is a step up from Kabadais.....

Looked at their transfers and they seem to get some really good players than have them leave within a year......thats not good............ what happened to Jardel, Soares, Skopelitis, Bryce, Altin Hatzi..... and how did Tripotseris play this year???

• 4 weeks later...

A hatrick from Sosin gave Anorthosis a 3-0 win against APOEL and ensures that the blues finish the year unbeaten. I hope the domination is a sign of Anorthosis' rise and not a weak division this year. The fact that Anorthosis anhilated Cluj (who have won the league in Romania) and that they've performed well in Europe probably suggests that they really are building a good side. Hopefully we'll see a Cypriot team in the Champions League group stages next season. :gr:

A hatrick from Sosin gave Anorthosis a 3-0 win against APOEL and ensures that the blues finish the year unbeaten. I hope the domination is a sign of Anorthosis' rise and not a weak division this year. The fact that Anorthosis anhilated Cluj (who have won the league in Romania) and that they've performed well in Europe probably suggests that they really are building a good side. Hopefully we'll see a Cypriot team in the Champions League group stages next season. :gr:

I think it's a bit of both, Omonia and APOEL have been disappointing, but Ano seem to be getting stronger. With a couple of favourable draws I don't see why Ano can't be in the CL group stages this year.

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...

This "Anothosis: a rising power?" proved to be quite a premonition as we saw Ano take Europe by storm last year :tup:

Well ladies and gents, all the rumours are that with 48 hours Anorthosis will complete the biggest signing in Cypriot football history. (You can't ever take anything for granted as we've seen with Engelaar at PAO <_< ), but the man considered to be on the verge of signing is none other than...

FERNANDO MORIENTES! :gr:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived