Phantis Forums

On the way to EURO 2008

Guest geok

News: Zenit Trash Bayern Leverkuzen.

Red alert for our NT as many of Zenit players feature in the Russian team. They can do the un-expected, we need to be very careful against the Russians, especially their strickers.

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Red alert for our NT as many of Zenit players feature in the Russian team. They can do the un-expected, we need to be very careful against the Russians, especially their strickers.

Arshavin ran the show. He's a truly a paixtara! If he was at Man Utd everyone would be saying he's one of the best player in the world!...

The good thing is, HE'S SUSPENDED VS GREECE!!!!!!!!! :tup: :tup:

Arshavin ran the show. He's a truly a paixtara! If he was at Man Utd everyone would be saying he's one of the best player in the world!...

The good thing is, HE'S SUSPENDED VS GREECE!!!!!!!!! :tup: :tup:

Yes he is an amazing player. We cant get complacent though just because he's missing. There are plenty of other Russian players capable of hurting us.

The russian players are very capable of surprising us. Zenit has done it to so many teams this year in uefa. If zenit can beat villreal and marseille well their in the offseason and destroy leverkusen away, then they must have a damn good team. I cant really say I know too much about russian football, but this year in europe, they have impressed me and got results. Spartak Moscow did good in the group stage and beat marseille 2-0 at home ( lost 3-2 on aggergate though). And Cska must be good because they made it into champions league. My point is the russian league is pretty strong and must have players capable of surprising us. JUst because arshavin is out doesn't mean they don't have replacments. I think we are exaggerating his skills here. The best in the world playing for man u? I've onyl seen him play twice and from what ive see he is know ronaldo.

News for our NT:

Apparently Antzas will be out for 6 weeks. I am not sure if this is good or bad news for our NT. But I hope that Dellas and Kyriakos stay fit throughout.

I think it is time for Papastathopoulos and A. Papadopoulos to step in at last...I am sure that Otto will see this at some point.

News for our NT:

Apparently Antzas will be out for 6 weeks. I am not sure if this is good or bad news for our NT. But I hope that Dellas and Kyriakos stay fit throughout.

I think it is time for Papastathopoulos and A. Papadopoulos to step in at last...I am sure that Otto will see this at some point.

That's terrible news. He's an established centre-back, I don't think Papadopoulous & Papastathopoulos are reliable options because they are untested.

;)

No, please not Kapsis! Anyone but him! Thats so lame if we would call him. Otto probably will too. But why? Hes old, doesnt do to much, isnt better than Papasthatopoulos or even papadopoulos and isnt gonna be in the euro ( because antzas will be back). Papastahopoulos and Papadoploulos wont play in the euro either but at least they will have a long career with the NT after and it is worth givving them the experience. At least let them sit on the bench. Let them get used to things with the Nt and how otto works etc. Because Otto and the two young defenders are gonna be there for a long time.

I honestly hope Kasis doesnt get a call up. I love the guy, but plsease otto, its 2008 now annd look at your options.

Btw to the cypriots on the forum, how does Kapsis do in the cypriot league? Does he stand out?

Btw to the cypriots on the forum, how does Kapsis do in the cypriot league? Does he stand out?

He's solid but he doesn't stand out as such. Yes he's one of the better more experienced defenders in the league, but nothing amazing. APOEL have not been the good at the back this year. He's not good enough for our squad anymore and I'm sure Otto knows this know.

Guys don't forget that if Antzas is out for 6 weeks he'll be back by mid to late May with Greece's first match on 8 June, Antzas should have at least 2 weeks to get match fit again. And let's not forget that he isn't a starter so if he is to be used as a sub, he should certainly be fit enough. I'm sure Antzas will go.

how can this be good news. Despite what the anti olympiacos greeks think antzas is a quality cb

Well, just play again the video vs AEK to see Antzas performing as well as the recent defensive displays of him.

I think a lot of people say that he is unstable, and I will have to agree with that based on the evidence of his performance on the pitch.

Given that Dellas plays well with Papastathopoulos in AEK, who have statistically the best defense in the league, that supports a call of Papastathopoulos to

the national team, as a sub.

It is worrying to see Goumas in poor defensive form lately, so I am a little worried about our defensive alternatives, based on evidence.

I am sorry to dissapoint you but after seeing thoroughly our latest friendly against Portugal, my reservations against Antzas and especially my stronger reservations against Patsa have been verified. On that basis I would hope that Tavlaridis is soon called up again to the team for new tests. I only make my judgements by looking the players performance on the pitch and I don't care about the color of their jersey.

Lets have a look at our opponents strikers: I can't imagine antzas taking on Ibrahimovic or Patsa taking on Torres for example or any other fast striker. It is just not possible. But if I had to choose between these two catastrophic scenarios, I'd rather have Antzas against Ibrahimovic rather than Patsa on Torres.

He's solid but he doesn't stand out as such. Yes he's one of the better more experienced defenders in the league, but nothing amazing. APOEL have not been the good at the back this year. He's not good enough for our squad anymore and I'm sure Otto knows this know.

So why would we consider an above-average cpyriot division one when we have plenty of youngsters in our league who can do just as good?

No offence to the cypriot league.

So why would we consider an above-average cpyriot division one when we have plenty of youngsters in our league who can do just as good?

As a Cypriot i see alot of the league and its underrated but an ethniki player has to come from a more competitive level. how can kapsis comfortably adapt from marking mixailidi one week, to torres the next :D its impossible. i still think antzas will be fine but if not i'd like to see papastathopoulo in the squad. the only reservations i have about papastathopoulo though is that dellas plays him every week, so surely otto has asked dellas' opinion on how good he is. if dellas' response would have been very positive surely he would have been given a chance by now?

the only reservations i have about papastathopoulo though is that dellas plays him every week, so surely otto has asked dellas' opinion on how good he is. if dellas' response would have been very positive surely he would have been given a chance by now?

That's quite a a perceptive point but I think Otto is too stubborn to rely on anyone else's word. He'd have seen Papastathopoulos for the u-19s, u-21s and AEK, and made up his own mind.

how can this be good news. Despite what the anti olympiacos greeks think antzas is a quality cb

If by "quality" you mean mediocre then yes. He's a bench player for the NT, nothing more. And no, us not liking Antzas has nothing to do with an anti-OLY bias. After all, we like Torosidis plenty.

As a Cypriot i see alot of the league and its underrated but an ethniki player has to come from a more competitive level. how can kapsis comfortably adapt from marking mixailidi one week, to torres the next :D its impossible. i still think antzas will be fine but if not i'd like to see papastathopoulo in the squad. the only reservations i have about papastathopoulo though is that dellas plays him every week, so surely otto has asked dellas' opinion on how good he is. if dellas' response would have been very positive surely he would have been given a chance by now?
I like Papastathopoulos but I don't think he's ready for prime-time just yet. It'd be nice to see him get called for the Euro but I just don't see it happening (we probably don't need more than 4 CBs). He has the talent and something the rest of our CBs lack: pace. However, he is still a rookie and prone to the odd clumsy challenge and mistake in the SL, which is why I'd prefer using Goumas as a back-up CB if Dellas were to sit out.

That being said, I definitely see Papastathopoulos playing a big role during WC 2010 qualifying.

Well, just play again the video vs AEK to see Antzas performing as well as the recent defensive displays of him.

I think a lot of people say that he is unstable, and I will have to agree with that based on the evidence of his performance on the pitch.

100% agreed. even in his alleged good cl form showed us a absolutely horrible game against madrid and many mistakes throughout olympiakos run. the chelsea game away was anatolakis-esque. to me antzas is behind papastathopulos in my depth chart. what is worrying is that goumas also sucks.

given that dellas is injury-prone and kiriakos had lots of injuries thorughout the season as well, this is very worrying. i don t see us doing well relying on either antzas and /or goumas during the euro. to me papastathopoulos is a must-call up.

100% agreed. even in his alleged good cl form showed us a absolutely horrible game against madrid and many mistakes throughout olympiakos run. the chelsea game away was anatolakis-esque. to me antzas is behind papastathopulos in my depth chart. what is worrying is that goumas also sucks.

given that dellas is injury-prone and kiriakos had lots of injuries thorughout the season as well, this is very worrying. i don t see us doing well relying on either antzas and /or goumas during the euro. to me papastathopoulos is a must-call up.

I agree with everything in this post.

If you saw Papastathopoulos against PAOK you will understand me.

He should be a definite call-up in my opinion. I leave it to you to decide who should be dropped (Antzas or Goumas).

Also, well done for Karagounis who is the best player that PAO has this year, I hope that he continues his form as part of the "wholy triad" (Karagounis, Basinas, Katsouranis) of our NT middlefield.

Spanish articles give credit to our NT and they expect we will feature long in the tournament. Some recognition is finally given to this great team.

More news to follow... :gr: :gr: :gr:

Archived