Phantis Forums

On the way to EURO 2008

Guest geok

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Greece in the mood for defence?

For the past two days Greece have trained behind closed doors, away from the prying media and masses of enthusiastic fans.

'Secret weapon'

Coach Otto Rehhagel is fine-tuning his team ahead of their opening encounter against Sweden on Tuesday. And when striker Angelos Charisteas was asked on Saturday about their German coach's plans for the upcoming match, he smiled: "That is our secret weapon and we won't reveal it."

Read the full article at Uefa.com.

Guest geok
well, they got today's results both wrong.

I didn't hear anyone predicting Greece winning EURO 2004 before the start of the tournament.

Don't believe in predictions. Football is unpredictable but you can believe in probabilities of success for each team. Greece realised the 160/1 chances that she had before EURO2004.

Guest geok

Greece in the mood for defence?

For the past two days Greece have trained behind closed doors, away from the prying media and masses of enthusiastic fans.

'Secret weapon'

Coach Otto Rehhagel is fine-tuning his team ahead of their opening encounter against Sweden on Tuesday. And when striker Angelos Charisteas was asked on Saturday about their German coach's plans for the upcoming match, he smiled: "That is our secret weapon and we won't reveal it."

Read the full article at Uefa.com.

Otto has taken his chances in this EURO very seriously. There will be surprises on Tuesday, I just hope that it goes his way. He wants to progress in this competition and he will do everything possible to achieve that.

The team will impress us on Tuesday and it will be a memorable match. The team will be fully ready for the first game (perhaps less ready for subsequent games but that is not the point at the moment). Greece have the pedigree to qualify (albeit nobody thinks that this will be easy, don't take me wrong).

Well here we are four years later...

Just wanted to say I hope you all enjoy Euro 2008 as much as 2004! Best wishes to the Greek NT.

Over and out from Euphoria!

Euphoria, don't you find your "motto" ironic?

Defensive football is an art. If it was easy all the smaller teams would be doing it and winning tournaments. Learn to appreciate it and you may very well enjoy Euro 2008 like 2004! :P

European champions Greece kick off their title defence against Sweden on Tuesday with the 2008 vintage keen to make a name for themselves.

Still motivated

Greece refused to get flustered four years ago when the pressure was on and goalkeeper Kostas Chalkias is adamant that the squad still have their feet on the ground. "There is no contract to guarantee success," Chalkias said, before explaining how the team are desperate to repeat the success achieved in Portugal. "We have done the Greek people proud and we intend to do that again. In comparison with 2004, this Greece side has several new faces. But the passion, the will and the effort to achieve something is exactly the same."

Source and full article at Uefa.com.

I wish we never qualified now.

The signs have been apparent since late 2004. We have a stubborn manager who's living off his greatest achievement and refuses to move forward.

Otto is the equivalent of that band who had the smash hit single "My Sharona". It was great when it came out and hit number One, but the world got sick and tired of them pretty quickly when they didn't have anything else.

Archived