Phantis Forums

On the way to EURO 2008

Guest geok

Check this out:

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/euro/news...sid=650921.html

They will have to play with a young team. They have a strong middlefield and play like Norway. We are lucky to play them first.

We will need a lot of players in the middlefield. And Chalkias/Nikopolidis needs to be careful because they shoot a lot from outside the box.

Match schedule analysis:

Good that we play the first game against them.

Second game against a Russia who would be desperate for points (good for us).

A 3rd game to prepare us for the upcoming difficult games (we may not need points to qualify at this point).

It looks good at the moment, but we need to hear from Otto on his decision and lets hope no injuries near the tournament.

:gr: :gr: :gr:

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The transfer of Mantzios may create more problems for Otto as he may wish to add him as an attacking solution to the squad.

The recent poor form of Samaras could possibly change the balances and make his position to the squad untenable, at least for the time being. I expect him to improve during his spell in the Scottish Champions.

Guest TheLegend

I dont think he will drop samaras. I think he needs to drop Kapsis and either vyntra or spyropoulos

rather vyntra but he doesnt use any of them.

WE NEED STOLTIDIS

IF HE PLAYS GOOD FOR NT AS HE DOES FOR OSFP HE WILL BE GODLY

I agree with you but there must be balance in the team too. But really, I can't imagine Kapsis in the team, not even in the bench...

If he dropped Kapsis and took stoltidis, I'd be happy.

Now there is a question with the strikers too after Mantzio moved. It is good because both Sam and Mantzios moved to play games because they want to be in EURO!

Lets let Otto worry about the 23, he has plenty of choice there, he should be delighted that the coaches us.

I agree with you. I also see why a fast Salpi who has the smell of goals and can create a goal out of nothing, could be of value for that team. No doubt that the selection of the final squad becomes even more difficult...lets hope that Otto will get it right, as he does most of the time :)

:gr: :gr: :gr:

I agree with you but there must be balance in the team too. But really, I can't imagine Kapsis in the team, not even in the bench...

Now there is a question with the strikers too after Mantzio moved. It is good because both Sam and Mantzios moved to play games because they want to be in EURO!

Lets let Otto worry about the 23, he has plenty of choice there, he should be delighted that the coaches us.

I know Otto has the last word...but this is the fun part of being a fan. We put out our opinions and then DUDE .....Blasts them.........Just kidding ;) .

Nice to see fresh faces who will certainly push the Vets. Surprised Dimoutsos omitted.

Keepers: Nikopolidis Chalkias Kotsolis

Defenders: Giourkas,Soto,Torosidis,Spiropoulos,Antzas, Papastathopoulos,

Mids: Katsouranis,Basinas, Patsa,Karagounis,Stoltidis, Tziolis,Lagos

Strikers: Gekas,Amanatidis,Lybe,Samaras,Charisteas

I have 2 spots left Stelios amd Dellas have not played enuff but they would add alot to our bench and in crucial minutes they can be trusted.

If they can not shake off the rust, then add Salpi, Goumas even Av.Papadopoulos.

I know Otto has the last word...but this is the fun part of being a fan. We put out our opinions and then DUDE .....Blasts them.........Just kidding ;) .

Nice to see fresh faces who will certainly push the Vets. Surprised Dimoutsos omitted.

Keepers: Nikopolidis Chalkias Kotsolis

Defenders: Giourkas,Soto,Torosidis,Spiropoulos,Antzas, Papastathopoulos,

Mids: Katsouranis,Basinas, Patsa,Karagounis,Stoltidis, Tziolis,Lagos

Strikers: Gekas,Amanatidis,Lybe,Samaras,Charisteas

I have 2 spots left Stelios amd Dellas have not played enuff but they would add alot to our bench and in crucial minutes they can be trusted.

If they can not shake off the rust, then add Salpi, Goumas even Av.Papadopoulos.

Guest TheLegend

Why would he say no?? wait... when are the games ?? He works his as off for Olympiacos and if it means him missing a game where other players will be out he might decide to stay because he gives it all for the team and doesnt wana risk games.

Well, it is a few hours before we know who will join the squad for the friendlies; I don't want to interprete the statement of Stoltides and speculate of whether he will accept or not.

But whoever rejects a callup to a team of European Champions is a ___________

(put whatever characterization you prefer there). It is just unacceptable to reject a callup to play for your National Team; what would be his reasons for not accepting?

Lets not even discuss it.

Back to the team: I look forward to the friendlies to see how the team performs and about what Otto has in mind. The only comment I wish to make is that we need to beat Finland because this counts for our rankings by FIFA, that's all.

I think the Britons will do the same on Wednesday but the Swiss won't give the points away easily.

any news on our EURO2008 opponents?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

quoted from: http://en.euro2008.uefa.com/news/kind=1/ne...lise+euro+plans

Russia have finalised their pre-tournament plans for UEFA EURO 2008™ after confirming friendly fixtures against Serbia and Lithuania.

Romania next

Of the 16 teams who will compete in Austria and Switzerland this summer, Russia are the only team not in action on 6 February. Their next encounter is against Romania in Bucharest on 26 March before they play their final game in front of their home fans against Kazakhstan in Moscow on 23 May. Guus Hiddink's team will complete their preparations in Germany, where they will meet Serbia (28 May) and Lithuania (3 June). Russia begin their EURO campaign a week later against Spain and also meet Greece and Sweden in Group D.

Given these friendly games against similar/weaker opposition, I have to say that we have a much better friendly schedule. However, it also may seem that Russians are preparing to give everything they have against Greece/Sweden mainly and seem not to worry about facing a force like Spain. This is something that we need to take into account pointwise, management wise and strategy wise and a result against Russia will be key in overtaking them

Judging from the website of the football federation of Spain, it appears as if Spain will only give a final friendly until EURO 2008, against Italy. Please correct me if I am mistaken.

Spain has been focusing on friendlies against equal standing oppositions. This may not be so wise as they will have to face "weaker" sides that play defensively. I think this is an advantage for us since we also play them at the end of the first round.

From information gathered from the Swedish Football Accociation Website, they have the following friendlies scheduled:

26 March: Brazil-Sweden

26 May Sweden-Slovenia

1 June Sweden-Ukraine

This is a good selection of friendlies. Against a superior opposition, to simulate Spain, against a weaker team to test attacking tactics and against Ukraine who resemble Russia and a weaker (version of) Greece. It is also characteristic that this is their final friendly against the opening against Greece. Overall this is a good selection of opponents for friendlies and it appears that the Swedes will be ready for us in June. But we will also be ready for them :box: .

:gr:

RUSSIA are going to be deadly in our group... With Gus Hiddink as coach he can work wonders with an average team. Strong solid unit and i believe they will get out of group stages.

SWEDEN are probably the easiest team in the group, however with world class defenders and hardworking midfielders it will be a hurdle to get points away from this team.

SPAIN look more dangerous than ever, with so many players hitting career best form in club levels. Defensively always good, but their strikers are a nightmare for any defence in the world. Having said that, although they have excellent players.. they have had a recent history of not performing as a team... this year seems like the year that changes that.

GREECE i believe will once again play a defensie game and rely on counter attacks with Gekas and Salpiggidis pace used to catch teams on the break. This time round teams will not take Greece lightly, Greece will not be a joke and i believe it will make it harder for us to defend our title.. Either Greece or Spain will miss a spot along with Sweden.

PREDICTION:

RUSSIA

SPAIN

GREECE

SWEDEN

RUSSIA are going to be deadly in our group... With Gus Hiddink as coach he can work wonders with an average team. Strong solid unit and i believe they will get out of group stages.

SWEDEN are probably the easiest team in the group, however with world class defenders and hardworking midfielders it will be a hurdle to get points away from this team.

SPAIN look more dangerous than ever, with so many players hitting career best form in club levels. Defensively always good, but their strikers are a nightmare for any defence in the world. Having said that, although they have excellent players.. they have had a recent history of not performing as a team... this year seems like the year that changes that.

GREECE i believe will once again play a defensie game and rely on counter attacks with Gekas and Salpiggidis pace used to catch teams on the break. This time round teams will not take Greece lightly, Greece will not be a joke and i believe it will make it harder for us to defend our title.. Either Greece or Spain will miss a spot along with Sweden.

PREDICTION:

RUSSIA

SPAIN

GREECE

SWEDEN

I really don't rate Russia that highly file. Particularly as their star man (Arshavin) will miss 2 games (including against Greece) because of suspension. They play a nice short passing game but Pavlychenko is a good striker, but their lack of pace in defence and their inability to break teams down without Arshavin's influence suggests to me that they'll finish bottom of the group.

Spain look like they can win the tournament (but how many times have we said that in the past?). Torres has developed into a world class striker and at Liverpool he's finally learned how to utilise his blistering pace, and he's partnered by the deadly Villa. Iniesta, Xavi and Fabregas are among the best passers of the ball in the world, and to have them next to each other in the midfield is frightening! And of course they have a man who is (arguably) the best keeper in the world. But, if you go out there and shut them down, leave them no space and give them a right good fight you can disrupt their game.

Sweden pass the ball beautifully. Go and watch some of their highlights and see how nicely they play. Ibrahimovic is their puppeter & they get goals from all over the park. They've also got quite a solid defence. They have no obvious weaknesses apart from the fact that they like to have possession, so I suppose the secret will be to starve them of the ball if we can by flooding the midfield.

My prediction:

Spain

Greece

Sweden

Russia

I agree with DUDE here. I think Russia is weak. Not to be harsh or anything but they snuck into Euro 2008 because England couldn't get the job done against the Croats. That's not to say they won't be tough to beat but in my mind, we should win that game no questions asked. The Sweden game will be intriguing. If we win that, I think we are through. Would be ballsy of Otto to go with a 4-3-3 against Sweden, but I'll believe it when I see it. As for Spain, I think Greece is capable of holding them to a draw if we play a 4-5-1 or 5-4-1 (I know it would be ugly but if all we need is the draw at that point, I can definitely see Otto going that route).

Russia and Spain have no history of winning meaningful games and because of that I am glad we wil face Russia in game 2 -when they still are in the running for a quarters spot- and Spain in game 3 when I am sure a positivie result will be needed to move on

PREDICTION:

RUSSIA

SPAIN

GREECE

SWEDEN

I really don't rate Russia that highly file. Particularly as their star man (Arshavin) will miss 2 games (including against Greece) because of suspension. They play a nice short passing game but Pavlychenko is a good striker, but their lack of pace in defence and their inability to break teams down without Arshavin's influence suggests to me that they'll finish bottom of the group.

Spain look like they can win the tournament (but how many times have we said that in the past?). Torres has developed into a world class striker and at Liverpool he's finally learned how to utilise his blistering pace, and he's partnered by the deadly Villa. Iniesta, Xavi and Fabregas are among the best passers of the ball in the world, and to have them next to each other in the midfield is frightening! And of course they have a man who is (arguably) the best keeper in the world. But, if you go out there and shut them down, leave them no space and give them a right good fight you can disrupt their game.

Sweden pass the ball beautifully. Go and watch some of their highlights and see how nicely they play. Ibrahimovic is their puppeter & they get goals from all over the park. They've also got quite a solid defence. They have no obvious weaknesses apart from the fact that they like to have possession, so I suppose the secret will be to starve them of the ball if we can by flooding the midfield.

My prediction:

Spain

Greece

Sweden

Russia

i hope your right

gus hiddink is a freak though.. i stick with my prediction but even i hope i am wrong..

it is very good to see that all our strikers have hit arguably career best form..

Gekas never been better

Salpi never been better

Amanatidis never been better

Charisteas never been better.. can score with feet on a regular basis now

Samaras prime time was at herenveen but finding some form of old at celtic

This will be a good advantage for us..

i think we have a weak and aging midfield with basinas giannakopoulos etc..

and probably either a weak aging backline or unexperienced backline depending on who rehagle plays

keepers - aging/dreadful

Archived