Phantis Forums

England coach

After failing to qualify for the finals of Euro 2008, Mssrs McClaren and Venables have departed.

A number of names have been mentioned: Martin O'Neill (who publicly declined), Jose Mourinho, Fabio Capello and even Juergen Klinsmann.

Any comments on whom you would consider ideal for the spot?

After failing to qualify for the finals of Euro 2008, Mssrs McClaren and Venables have departed.

A number of names have been mentioned: Martin O'Neill (who publicly declined), Jose Mourinho, Fabio Capello and even Juergen Klinsmann.

Any comments on whom you would consider ideal for the spot?

O'Neil didn't actually rule himself out. Actually follow his words carefully, he said "why would I think I'd be on that list (of potential managers)? I'm just happy to be Aston Villa and to continue to think about what's best for Villa". ;)

If I was on the FA my short-list of targets would be, in this order:

Arsene Wenger

Jose Mourinho

Harry Redknapp

Fabio Capello

Martin O'Neil

and if they all reject it England should just give up! :LOL:

Didn't Mourinho publicly state that the only National team he would coach is Portugals and that he believes a coach should come from the country he's in charge of?

I don't think so, but don't know for sure.

I would like to start a global movement to get Nikos Alefantos appointed as England's national footall manager! :D

they should give it to glen roeder, he's the type of boring yes man the FA would go for.

i was pleased england didn't qualify, i wondered how long it would be before they started blaming all the foreigners in the premiership for their failure. when sven was in charge nobody liked having a foreign manager then they got an englishman in charge and failed to qualify. foreign players have made the premier league better and english players have improved as a result the problem is english people don't like the idea of foreign players earning money in their country. utter racists

WELL DONE CROATIA :tup:

• 3 weeks later...

And the winner is...Fabio Capello! :o

A big surprise for me as I thought the man has so much to offer in club football, he would never even allow himself to be put forward for such a job!

It wouldn't matter if they had the referee of each game as their manager, they'd still find a way to lose!

Capello is a massive choice, top manager, great credentials.

How young mate?

I agree he's a great manager and England HAVE to do something now! If he doesn't sort out the player psychology, replace the overrated with the talented and end the WAG culture, then no one wll and England will never win anything.

Just out of interest, who would you have preferred, Capello or Mourinho?

How young mate?

I agree he's a great manager and England HAVE to do something now! If he doesn't sort out the player psychology, replace the overrated with the talented and end the WAG culture, then no one wll and England will never win anything.

Just out of interest, who would you have preferred, Capello or Mourinho?

I would have loved Mourinho. I miss his interviews and his attitude.

Having said that, I think Mourinho would have hated it and he is not in right terms with Benitez and Wenger which could have been a problem.

The first thing Capello needs to do in my opinion is to get rid of the so-called "Golden Generation", most of them will be retired or over 30 in 2010.

Our U21 team is doing great under Stuart Pearce and they seem more involved in the NT than the older guys. The likes of Ashley Young, Walcott, Carson (despite his mistake against Croatia), Taylor, Milner,Agbonlahor... Even Bently who seemed to act like a prick with Pearce really wants to be involved in the English set-up.

Capello does not care about the press opinion and the fans which is good especially in England. The language barrier isn't a problem as I very much doubt that Otto spoke Greek when he was named manager of your side.

Having said that, I hope there will not be any hype after a few good results, England needs to remain humble after the Euro disaster.

Good luck to him and hopefully we will be the first team qualified for the WC in Europe :)

the problem is english people don't like the idea of foreign players earning money in their country. utter racists

I agree with most of what you wrote.

I had nothing against Sven, I thought he did well with what Keegan left him. It is also true to say that foreigners have improved our standards.

Now, I find your quote funny because when I was in Greece, I remember that the locals where going mad about the "Albanian invasion" as they called it. I know it has nothing to do with football but I don't think that we are more racist than the people in mainland Europe. Just look at the figures of the BNP in the UK and the figures of the FN in France.

What "we" don't like is that clubs buy average players abroad instead of trying to promote their young lads from their academy. I find it mad to hear Wenger yattering on about the price of English players when he pays

Archived