Phantis Forums

EURO 2008: Hungary - Greece

dark_horse

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

(Postied this in another thread)

If Greece beat Hungary and Croatia does not get a favorable result in England, then Greece will be in Pot 1 fot the WC draw according to contra.gr

If Greece beat Hungary and Croatia does not get a favorable result in England, then Greece will be in Pot 1 fot the WC draw according to contra.gr

I'd rather England lose and go out! ;) One tournament at a time... England are a major threat to our trophy, the earlier they go the better!

As for the Hungary game, I'm predicting a 1-2 win. Amanatidis and Gekas with the goals.

I'd rather England lose and go out! ;) One tournament at a time... England are a major threat to our trophy, the earlier they go the better!

As for the Hungary game, I'm predicting a 1-2 win. Amanatidis and Gekas with the goals.

England has not qualified but Croatia already has so England will play serious. ANY team is a threat to our title. You think France, the Euro 2000 champ, saw Greece as a threat to their title during Euro 2004? No, and look what happened.

All teams are a threat to us, as we should be a threat to all teams too!

I see Greece beating Hungary on Wed.

But, playing in the next Euro will be much harder guys. Obviously, it's EXTREMELY hard to repeat, but now we won't be able to surprise anybody!

PS>I'm on the fence regarding England. They love this sport, I got great pleasure from growing up with English football, but they're an arrogant bunch. Disrespectful with a pompous attitude of a royal ass! For goodness sake, they haven't won anything in the last 50-60 years!

Don't you have another record in stock?

I wouldn't say that we are arrogant, we are "loud and proud". We are passionate about our team, have a look at the French, they are much more arrogant than us and definitely hypocrites, cheering when their team wins...

What Greece has achieved in 2004 is unbelievable and can not be compared with our 1966 victory. We were at home and Brazil were kicked out early.

I do hope that we will be there just to fill in all the stands and put a bit of atmosphere.

Maybe we wil even play each other!

I have a few Brit friends and truth be told, it just wouldn't be the same without England in the tournament. Same goes for Italy (although I was pulling for the Scots). They bring a certain atmosphere that just adds something to these tourneys.

As for this game, I'll go with 1-0 Greece. Amanatidis with the goal. I wonder if Spyropoulos will get the start. Would be nice to see Spyropoulos on the left and Torosidis on the right.

ill say 2-0 Greece...

What do you guys think the chances of otto playing some "other" players in this game from kick off??

i would like to see Spyro, Tzoilis, MANTZIOS all get a start in this game, but whats the chances of that happeneing?

Can't see Mantzios getting any time (considering he's about #6 or #7 on the depth chart of forwards). I'm hoping to see Spyropoulos get the start however since I think he has a realistic chance of nabbing a starting role in the endekada for Euro 2008 if he has a few more good performances. Tziolis might get some time but he won't start and I don't think he has much of a shot of being in the starting 11 at Euro 2008 because Karagounis has a spot locked up.

I am hoping to see Samaras get some time however as I think he can still contribute.

Don't you have another record in stock?

I wouldn't say that we are arrogant, we are "loud and proud". We are passionate about our team, have a look at the French, they are much more arrogant than us and definitely hypocrites, cheering when their team wins...

What Greece has achieved in 2004 is unbelievable and can not be compared with our 1966 victory. We were at home and Brazil were kicked out early.

I do hope that we will be there just to fill in all the stands and put a bit of atmosphere.

Maybe we wil even play each other!

Well, this record still plays well :LOL:

Of course the Brits are arrogant. Not only what they said after the thrashing of Greece in the last friendly but also having very rich clubs and much club success in Europe. Why not? Probably any country that has a great domestic league {yeah, I love to watch Brit football} where many great players want to go, would be arrogant. It's also a deflection, a defense against the failures of the national team.

It's a sport, I love it, I think the Brits love it too, and that's a plus.

Anyway, don't take it personally mate. It's good that a country like Greece with much fewer resources and much smaller size can compete at this level and even having qualified ahead of other "powerhouses". And, sometimes using what strengths you have may not give you spectacular football, but it serves the big countries right to be beaten by a smaller one.

Maybe we will see a Greece v. England match. I'd pay money to watch that :tup:

You know I really like the Premiership and would like to see Greece play England but I can't understand how anyone would be concerned or intimidated since England apparently have a clueless coach (who supposedly is leaving in December) and aren't playing to the best of their ability. But who knows by next summer? Even if they do get their act together, Greece can still kick the sh it out of them. On a good day we can beat anyone. As for this Hungary game, AEK-MTL have you bothered to watch Panathinaikos lately or what? If you look real close, you can see Karagounis and Tziolis both playing at the same time. Why? Because Tziolis doesn't play in the same position; he's a defensive mid which means if Otto brings him in a game, he should take out Basinas (who's been playing like absolute sh it ). So your Karagounis is locked comment makes no sense. As for Mantzios, well he got the call so he might bring him in the last 20 or something (which he should do). Mantzios is an extremely gifted striker who has great control of the ball and scoring ability. Salpigidis can't hold a freaking candel to this guy (and can't hold the ball either). What Mantzios needs is playing time. Some people have said he isn't consistent. Is this the way he is or is it due to the fact that he doesn't get played enough?

You know I really like the Premiership and would like to see Greece play England but I can't understand how anyone would be concerned or intimidated since England apparently have a clueless coach (who supposedly is leaving in December) and aren't playing to the best of their ability. But who knows by next summer? Even if they do get their act together, Greece can still kick the sh it out of them. On a good day we can beat anyone. As for this Hungary game, AEK-MTL have you bothered to watch Panathinaikos lately or what? If you look real close, you can see Karagounis and Tziolis both playing at the same time. Why? Because Tziolis doesn't play in the same position; he's a defensive mid which means if Otto brings him in a game, he should take out Basinas (who's been playing like absolute sh it ). So your Karagounis is locked comment makes no sense. As for Mantzios, well he got the call so he might bring him in the last 20 or something (which he should do). Mantzios is an extremely gifted striker who has great control of the ball and scoring ability. Salpigidis can't hold a freaking candel to this guy (and can't hold the ball either). What Mantzios needs is playing time. Some people have said he isn't consistent. Is this the way he is or is it due to the fact that he doesn't get played enough?

Basinas has been playing like s%$#!?? How do you figure?

I don't know if you have noticed, but Rehhagel doesn't seem to care about a players' preferred position...apparantely, he sees something we don't and goes with it.

Tziolis in place of Karagounis really sprung life into the team against Malta, and his passing was superb. Playing a 4-3-3, our midfielders will require a defensive role anyway, so I think taking Karagounis' spot is not so unimaginable. Karagounis was very slow against Malta, and he seemed like he was winded on many occasions. I think Otto has been noticing this lately, and will use Tziolis as a sub for Karagounis (maybe even as a starter in some games). After all for Basinas we have Antzas as a midfielder, like he did against Turkey :LOL: ...just kidding(yes, it worked out well....but, nevertheless, I wouldn't feel comfortable with this set up against the competition we will be up against) :D

From UEFA.com:

"Greece travel to Budapest for Wednesday's fixture against Hungary without a quartet of defenders: Traianos Dellas (suspended), Vassilis Torosidis (flu), Ioannis Goumas (thigh) and Giourkas Seitaridis (achilles). With the holders already through as Group C winners, coach Otto Rehhagel could give starts to the likes of Michalis Kapsis, Loukas Vintra and Nikos Spiropoulos."

despite this I still see us winning, especially as we know what is at stake in terms of the W/C draw.

@ Clover, Basinas has been one of our best players in these last 2 games, why? Because Otto seems to be listening to me :P Basinas is a terrific passer, but he no longer has the ability to cover ground as a defensive midfielder. He should be playing high up the pitch, almost like a dekari! He seems to have done that in the last couple of games against Turkey and Malta, what worries me is that he'll probably sink back into defensive midfield when we play strong opposition. <_<

@Morphi, mate sorry but I have to agree with Athinaios. The English are arrogant. There seems to be this idea that your team has a divine right to be among the global elite. When you beat Greece there was no mention of the fact that we had a weakened side, just comments from the panel of "experts" like "well we can't read too much into this because Greece are pretty weak opposition". And before you say that's just sections of the media, I came across a forum like this one where fans were saying that Greece aren't much stronger than Jamaica :LOL: 95% of English fans would also call Euro 2004 a fluke despite having no knowledge of Greek football either before or after that tournament. This all comprises an attitude of perceived contemptuous superiority, aka arrogance.

this game im going to say 1-3 just for the fark of it!!!

Im so pleased that we will have the right to defend our title!!!! All i can ask is that in E08 the ethniki plays hard, with heart, and with the fire they did to win. If they do this then win loose draw im happy!!!

I hope for the sake of football that England is NOT in EURO08, they are the most over-rated league/country in the world!!! I would rather Russia qualify

I got a lot of bullshit from POMS (and NZers who worship the England team) after the 4-0 loss. I want to just be able to say, hahaha you beat us but....where are you again???? xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [PAO_OR_DEATH SWEARS A LOT]

@Morphi, mate sorry but I have to agree with Athinaios. The English are arrogant. There seems to be this idea that your team has a divine right to be among the global elite. When you beat Greece there was no mention of the fact that we had a weakened side, just comments from the panel of "experts" like "well we can't read too much into this because Greece are pretty weak opposition". And before you say that's just sections of the media, I came across a forum like this one where fans were saying that Greece aren't much stronger than Jamaica

http://sports.phantis.com/soccer/news/read...=20071119150450

Traianos Dellas,Paraskevas Antzas, Yourkas Seitaridis, Angelos Haristeas,Yannis Goumas,Vasilis Torosidis and Karagounis r out with either suspensions or injurys...

this means some new blood will get a shot finnally such as spyro and hopefully tzoilis and others...

only s%$#! thing is that he intends to use kapsis

Archived