Phantis Forums

State of AEK

AEKARA-YIA-PANTA

I've kept quiet in these forums since the Super League kicked off back in August. I've been an AEK supporter since birth and love this team through good and bad football. Something's been bothering me inside though since last season ended. I respect Ferrer as our coach and his philosophy of the game. But, that doesn't mean I agree with him. To date, I haven't seen an AEK team take the field and dominate from start to finish. Just listening to today's starting 11 and formation, I knew we wouldn't get a positive result. Let's get started from the beginning of this summer......

Ferrer opts not to bring back the following players: Chiotis, Cirillo, Kyriakidis, Lakis, Moras, Ivic, Kambadais, Pautasso, Sorrentino (didn't want to come back to AEK)

These are the players he brings: Blanco, Manu, Rivaldo, Moretto, Macho, Ramos, Arraubarena, Ensaliwa, Alves, Azcarte, Pappas

Let's start off with the most important positions on pitch; the players at the half. You're telling me that Ensaliwa :tdown: is any better than Ivic or Kyriakidis.......hell no. Both players are flourishing with Larissa and Aris now. Why Tozer, Kafes, or Pliatsikas don't play over him is beyond me.

Goalie: If it weren't for the last minute signing of Macho, we'd be in BIG trouble. Again, was Moretto any type of upgrade than Chiotis?

Defense: I understand Cirillo and Ferrer didn't get along, but he is surely missed on the back line. Alves wasn't the answer to his departure. If you ask me, AEK had a promising young duo in the works with Papastathopoulos and Moras in the center. Both players are younger, faster, and better than Alves and Dellas, yet, Moras is in Italy and Papa plays every other game. MAN U and Arsenal are eyeing this talent.....this young kid should be playing EVERY GAME! If it weren't for his injury, Georgeas would still be our best left/right back. I liked seeing Bourbos in that same position also.

Wings and Forwards: Again, I know Ferrer and Lakis had some type of feud, but he is a better player than Manduca. And how the heck does Kambadais just get away from the team? This youngster had talent and could score.

My biggest problem is that I don't see how AEK got better in the off-season? We had young-talented players who were/are better than the talent we brought in for 2007-8. I wish AEK the best and hope to see them win a protathlima this seasaon. I just get irritated watching this seasons performance.

We have Kone, Pliatsikas, Pappas, Pavlis, Tozer, and most of the games, Papastathopoulos on the bench. Play our young talent more often. I'm tired of watching Rivaldo do nothing on the pitch. If he isn't performing....take him out. I'm tired of watching Ensaliwa make mistake after mistake. Play Tozer or Kafes instead.

I'm interested to hear everyone else's thoughts on the teams decisions this off-season.......

Maybe i am not an aek fan, but i can throw my two cents in.

First off, ill start off by saying that in the 4 years that demi has taken over, saving the team from financial disaster ( thx t the greek gov) was the only good thing he has done.

Other then cirillo and sorentino, who in my opinion wasnt the greatest keeper, he has yet to make an impact signing. think of ALL the players he has brought over in a transfer, name me one impact player. sure kampadais was a good solid player, but name me one impact player. ill make a small list.

Zikos: Finished

Kafes: Finished

Venglenski: my 7 year old cousin can score more goals.

Alvez: Vyntra?

Ramos: is NOT a right back and is not good enough to play rm... so.....

Manduca: you cant be serious!!!

Dellas: MAYBE would be a sub for pao.

Manu: would never get looked at by Man U

Ensaliwa: ive seen him play for the canadian national team. EXACTLY!!!

pautasso: hahaha

Lagos: potential for a great career, probable for a huge medical bill

Moretto: might as well put a stick in front of goal.

Kapetanos: Wrong brother

Pappas: impact? ahem....

Case in point, the list probably goes on but i am not aware of every single player aek has had but im sure no true aek fan can be happy with this team. and dont name me players like tozser,kone, pavlis etc. Cuz pao has 125 of those players. only difference is that they are playing.

they beat all the little teams and beat them, some of them barely, and every one got their hopes up. But in Uefa, they barely survived Zurich even having a 3-0 lead in athens. they play in sweden and are super lucky to get a draw, while fiorentina plays that same swedish team and scores 6 goals against them. you cant blame synthetic grass, thats hogwash. the team is slow,tired and lucky to have had gifted this many points this early. a larisa penalty and down to 9 men,(deservedly) would of opened ur eyes a lot sooner. aek has played 5 european games and have 1 win and 1 draw. fine they played sevilla. but they got rattled in both games. then we laugh when oly draws against real in athens, with 6 players hurt.

i dont mean this in any attacking way, and i dont want to be offensive, but how can anyone be happy and start blaming refs for todays game against pao, a pao team that completely dominated you in the first 45,missed 3 classic chances, played 9 minutes with 10 men and then, when dellas gets sent off, they turn and say that that cost them the game. Does that mean that the only way aek could of scored was with a man advantage? Probably.

Pao played players today that have less then 3 or 4 games played. Mantzios, Dimoutsos, Galinovic, Sarriegi and Seric, combined, have played less total minutes all together then arrabuarena has.

things need to change for aek. this is probably their best chance to win the title. Dellas is 31, rivaldo,zikos,lymbe and arrabuearena are 35,34,33 and 31 respectively. the core of aek is old. they need their younger players to play.

pao has dimoutsos,mantzios,tziolis,mattos,salpi,ndoye,ivanshitz,ninis,pap,morris, big joe,leontiou and eki all under the age of 26 and most of them closer to 20 then 25. but the difference is they play. there is a rotation.players are fresh. aek is old and slow and now, look really tired.

in the end, aek might win the championship, i still dont think pao will. but at least im enjoying watching my team play. and im VERY hopefull for the future.

alls im saying bro is instead of spending small amounts of money on players liek i mentioned above.. i believe rivaldo is making something liek 3 million for the next 2 years... they could of just invested in their youth and not pay him and arrabuarena useless amounts of cash.

thats all.

besides, with last years champions league appearance didnt aek make something liek 7 million dollars. and he used half of that to sign rivaldo... poor

i agree with you very much niko...i think much of what u said is true..but i can also see it from aek66's perspective..aek is not doing badly considering two or three years ago they were facing relegation because of money issues..i do think however, that aeks offseason transfering was not as smart as it should have been..

How about we say things that were in the back of our heads but never quite made it to the mouth:

When Demis took over, we had all hoped for a long-term solution. To me that meant develop or acquire young Greek players and slowly mold them into a team so that each one would fit into AEK when he was ready. At the end of 4-5 years we would have a team where each player would know his role and each player would know what his teammate's role is and his whereabouts, without looking.

What we got was a truckload of Iberian-speaking players far too many of them over 30, far too many of them short-termers or loan-ins. Fine if you slowly but surely replace them with your own young talent but we are not doing that. We are getting more Iberian-speaking players far too many of them over 30, far too many of them short-termers or loan-ins.

Anyone see a way out of this?

When Demis took over the team in 2004, we had a squad full of young talent that played relentless soccer. We should have one the championship that season. The only reason that team was competitive was due to the youngsters playing hard football. They wanted and needed to prove themselves and they did it by playing every second hard. Moras, Bourbos, Krassas, Malbasa, Ivic....those were the players that carried the team.

Sure we had veterans to help them like Katsouranis and Lybe. But most of the squad was made up of youngsters.

We have solid, young, GREEK talent on this team. It's about time we start using them. Rivaldo, Arraubarrena, Dellas, Zikos are not the answer.

If there any truth is that AEK have built a team for a title run with aging veterans, were pao and oly have brought in young talents for the long run, and that what scares me as the years go by the veterans just get older and more injury prone ext.............

We must give the young thunder cats a change to prove them selves not with just 1 or 2 games papas, lago,hetemaj,kone.

There must be a balance of speed ,experiene, young and old to be able create counter-attacks, with slow wingers and strikers were toast simple as that........

Demi has alot on his ^late for winter transfers and further down the end of the season and pick up smart aquisitions

I am adding a part of a post I put in the AEK-PAO thread, but definitely works in this one as well:

I am disappointed with the effort that some of our players exerted in this derby and I am also disappointed with the quality of play or other players.

This is what I call for:

Caesar - bench

Rivaldo - bench

Geraldo Alves - Bench

Manduka - Bench

Manu - BENCH

Pappas - Play

Lagos - Play

Hetemaj - Play

Toszer - Play

Kone - Play

Need to igve the guys with the fire a chance... Even Lymbe. He is older, but if the pressure is off him as a striker and he can play more as a forward he will excel at his age (look where he has played with the ethniki).

1) the other big issue (to me, anyways) - is that rivaldo and to some extent, lymbe...are holding this side back from growing and entering a new 'era'.

2) ferrer made a poor choice today with formation & tactics...is ferrer forced to play a certain way to accomodate rivaldo's lack of marking and pace?

I agree with your point one so much...that I had to write something...

Already in Summer I could never understand this hysteria and hype within the AEK camp...concerning Rivaldo.

Exactly for the reason that you stated under your point one...

I would have also taken 1.5 milion for Lybe ... The Germans even bid 2.2 milion for him...and AEK refused it

With all that free money..they could invest it on 2 new young promising players...with more physical presence...in order to practise a modern football for the new era as you stated precisely....

But they wanted absolutely the championship this saison...therefore they decided like they did last summer.... In fact they postboned the problems..

Point 2)

After the game..we can easily say that was not good

I would have played with 3 center backs.. (but not one line) plus ramos as a right back.

Because PAO plays a physically kick-rush football... not of a high culture but efficacious at the moment. They scored the first goal...by the known method...

Long balls to their quick forwards...

Alvez on his good day...would have never allowed the first goal..., which came at the right moment for PAO... to give them the additionally physical and mental burst in their fully packed stadium.

PAO wanted the victory more than AEK..and they did more for it...not only with footbalistic methods...... they learned something in "Risoupouli"

Nevertheless the championship is not lost.... we still have the resourses to suprasse this PAO from last Sunday..... They will not have always the circumstances from last Sunday.

For those, who not agree with the above fact.... just wait and see...

Point 2)

I would have played with 3 center backs.. (but not one line) plus ramos as a right back.

Because PAO plays a physically  kick-rush  football... not of a high culture but efficacious at the moment. They scored the first goal...by the known method...

Long balls to their quick  forwards...

Alvez on his good day...would have never allowed the first goal..., which came at the right moment for PAO... to give them the additionally physical and mental burst in their fully packed stadium.

PAO wanted the victory more than AEK..and they did more for it...not only with footbalistic methods...... they learned something in "Risoupouli"

Nevertheless the championship is not lost.... we still have the resourses to suprasse this PAO from last Sunday..... They will not have always the circumstances from last Sunday.

what long balls? what kick and rush???

youre team is the one that does this!

long balls to rivaldo or lymbe and hope for the best!

u where outplayed from left-right-center! attacking runs and countless through balls from all our players even morris took the ball foreard sometimes dribling a player or 2 from aek!

until dellas was dismissed he kicked the ball up field countless times.

but that is good for both us-aris and oly cause if u keep thinking u have a magic team like barca or sevilla u will soon be plenty of points adrift in 5th - 6th place!

1) the other big issue (to me, anyways) - is that rivaldo and to some extent, lymbe...are holding this side back from growing and entering a new 'era'.

2) ferrer made a poor choice today with formation & tactics...is ferrer forced to play a certain way to accomodate rivaldo's lack of marking and pace?

I agree with your point one so much...that I had to write something...

Already in Summer I could never understand this hysteria and hype within the AEK camp...concerning Rivaldo.

Exactly for the reason that you stated under your point one...

I would have also taken 1.5 milion for Lybe ... The Germans even bid 2.2 milion for him...and AEK refused it

With all that free money..they could invest it on 2 new young promising players...with more physical presence...in order to practise a modern football for the new era as you stated precisely....

But they wanted absolutely the championship this saison...therefore they decided like they did last summer.... In fact they postboned the problems..

Point 2)

Because PAO plays a physically kick-rush football... not of a high culture but efficacious at the moment. They scored the first goal...by the known method...

Long balls to their quick forwards...

loipon..i dont think you have any idea what your talking about...maybe you can watch the game again...i have it..ill send it to you..ive atched it about 3 times now and i didnt see any of this that u say...

what long balls? what kick and rush???

youre team is the one that does this!

long balls to rivaldo or lymbe and hope for the best!

It must be because Lybe and Rivaldo are very fast....two of the fastest football players in the Greek League...that s why we operate like this....

Long balls to Lybe and Rivaldo...and then Lybe and Rivaldo rushes with their speeds...and get nearly all the balls...grace to their stupendous velocity...

While Salpingidis is very slow...and he plays mainly with his technic....so

PAO plays a culitivated latin short-short play.... would PAO play long balls to

Salpingidis...he won't get any ...because all the defenders are faster than him.

Sorry about my mistake and the kick and rush.....

When Demis took over the team in 2004, we had a squad full of young talent that played relentless soccer. We should have one the championship that season. The only reason that team was competitive was due to the youngsters playing hard football. They wanted and needed to prove themselves and they did it by playing every second hard. Moras, Bourbos, Krassas, Malbasa, Ivic....those were the players that carried the team.

Sure we had veterans to help them like Katsouranis and Lybe. But most of the squad was made up of youngsters.

We have solid, young, GREEK talent on this team. It's about time we start using them. Rivaldo, Arraubarrena, Dellas, Zikos are not the answer.

you really believe that Moras, Bourbos, Krassas, Malbasa, and Ivic carried the '04 team?

Oh my Lord!

Moras was a wonderfully skilled CB who unfortuantely couldn't mark even me. Had a high center of gravity and was extremely weak for a player his size. For God's sake, he's in the second division in Italy, and not starting even there. The emergence of Papastathopoulos made this guy expendable.

Bourbos is flat out the worst player on our current roster. Strictly B Ethniki, and below, material. Simply a warm body. Cant play wing, midfield, OR FB. The fact that he's been loaned out and BARELY made this years squad should tell you something.

Krassas had a bull in the china shop approach to the game. All effort, limited skill. Not all that bad, but certainly not a difference maker, either at AEK or anywhere else he has played.

Malbasa? Did you really watch the games? That guy may be the worst foreign FB signing in AEK's history. A complete stiff. And he wasn't that young either.

Ivic was not that bad of a player, but the fact is, we brought in a better one, Toszer, to take his place. Toszer flat out beat him for a job. And Ivic was neither young, nor fats or aggresive. Perfect fit for Aris. Ligos gia tin AEK.

The guys that carried that team were Lybe and Kats, and to a lesser extent Asuncao. Lets not get carried away here.

I've kept quiet in these forums since the Super League kicked off back in August. I've been an AEK supporter since birth and love this team through good and bad football. Something's been bothering me inside though since last season ended. I respect Ferrer as our coach and his philosophy of the game. But, that doesn't mean I agree with him. To date, I haven't seen an AEK team take the field and dominate from start to finish. Just listening to today's starting 11 and formation, I knew we wouldn't get a positive result. Let's get started from the beginning of this summer......

Ferrer opts not to bring back the following players: Chiotis, Cirillo, Kyriakidis, Lakis, Moras, Ivic, Kambadais, Pautasso, Sorrentino (didn't want to come back to AEK)

These are the players he brings: Blanco, Manu, Rivaldo, Moretto, Macho, Ramos, Arraubarena, Ensaliwa, Alves, Azcarte, Pappas

Let's start off with the most important positions on pitch; the players at the half. You're telling me that Ensaliwa :tdown: is any better than Ivic or Kyriakidis.......hell no. Both players are flourishing with Larissa and Aris now. Why Tozer, Kafes, or Pliatsikas don't play over him is beyond me.

Goalie: If it weren't for the last minute signing of Macho, we'd be in BIG trouble. Again, was Moretto any type of upgrade than Chiotis?

Defense: I understand Cirillo and Ferrer didn't get along, but he is surely missed on the back line. Alves wasn't the answer to his departure. If you ask me, AEK had a promising young duo in the works with Papastathopoulos and Moras in the center. Both players are younger, faster, and better than Alves and Dellas, yet, Moras is in Italy and Papa plays every other game. MAN U and Arsenal are eyeing this talent.....this young kid should be playing EVERY GAME! If it weren't for his injury, Georgeas would still be our best left/right back. I liked seeing Bourbos in that same position also.

Wings and Forwards: Again, I know Ferrer and Lakis had some type of feud, but he is a better player than Manduca. And how the heck does Kambadais just get away from the team? This youngster had talent and could score.

My biggest problem is that I don't see how AEK got better in the off-season? We had young-talented players who were/are better than the talent we brought in for 2007-8. I wish AEK the best and hope to see them win a protathlima this seasaon. I just get irritated watching this seasons performance.

We have Kone, Pliatsikas, Pappas, Pavlis, Tozer, and most of the games, Papastathopoulos on the bench. Play our young talent more often. I'm tired of watching Rivaldo do nothing on the pitch. If he isn't performing....take him out. I'm tired of watching Ensaliwa make mistake after mistake. Play Tozer or Kafes instead.

I'm interested to hear everyone else's thoughts on the teams decisions this off-season.......

Nsaliwa is flat out a better DM than ANYONE on our roster last year. hands down. Ivic is NOT a DM.

Pliatsikas is a flank, not central player. Toszer is an attacking, not defensive midfielder. same thing for Kafes, who is only good against so so competition (he's not starting material for a contending team and was brought over strictly to strengthen the bench.

Cirillo wasn't broght back cause he would have cost us over 700 K Euros. You can thank Ivic for that. That being said, Alvez is a comparable, if not better, player at a fraction of the cost. Moras better than Dellas AND Alvez. Oh God, please tell me you're kidding? Papastathopoulos IS AEK's best defender, but he was on the team last year also.

Georgeas is strictly backup material. Both Ramos and Arrabuarrena are better. Bourbos as a FB is absolutely tragic. Anyone that was at Giants Stadium this past summer saw it conclusively.

lakis better than Manduca? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Kampantais was a useful backup, but Armenia made him an offer AEK couldn't match and Blanco is a much better player anyway.

I agree that I'd like to see some of the youngsters more often, especially Kone, Toszer, Papastathopoulos, and pavlis, but there are only 11 spots on the field.

and for one last time, kafes is neither young nor a dm.

p.s. macho is a better keeper than sorrentino.

Archived