Phantis Forums

EURO 2008: Greece - Malta

jarvis1981

It's less than one month away from the home game with Malta.

Any guesses as to how this game will end up.

I'll say 2-1 for Greece as they don't want to lose at home but I can't see them trying to press for many goals either. Malta is not a horrible team and can play well defensively and they will still be playing for pride.

I'd like to see a few younger players get a chance to play if possible but that will more than likely happen in the away game at Hungary rather than the home game with Malta.

Any thoughts?

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess it depends on the attitude and lineup

I'm guessing Nikopolidis plays

Toro was our only yellow in the last match - I don't know how many that is for him - I actually hope he's out for this game so Spyropoulos can finally suit up

Maybe Tsiolis too will see some action

I see us wining no matter what

2-0

Toro was our only yellow in the last match - I don't know how many that is for him - I actually hope he's out for this game so Spyropoulos can finally suit up

2-0

If he's on a yellow we want him to get booked now so he can miss the final game against Hungary, that way he won't carry any bookings into Euro 2008 ;) Same goes with any other player carry a booking.

2-0

If he's on a yellow we want him to get booked now so he can miss the final game against Hungary, that way he won't carry any bookings into Euro 2008 ;) Same goes with any other player carry a booking.
how about freindlies - the yelows dont carry over do they?

I only ask because Salpigidis missed Pao's first game because a red he earned in a club friendly

And you are saying that qualifier yellows carry to EURO?

If so lets butcher these poor Maltese players - make some falcon gumbo

This will be more like a celebration than a Euro qualifier. We'll only do enough to win the game and not spoil the mood: 2-1 to Greece

we've qualified with 2 games to go :gr: what ever the outcome even if we lose

0-5 you can't spoil my mood :D we're going, nothing else matters and i can't wait til the summer

yea he may as well play the under 21 team or something

There's no point in a complete overhaul of the current squad. If he wants to see the u-21's he can go to one of their games. The key is to keep the heart of the squad but give a chance to others who are playing well to see how they might fit into the squad. For example, he may want to play:

-------------------------------------Konstantopoulos---------------------------------------

---------------------Tavlaridis---------Kyriakos---------Papastathopoulos---------------

Seitaridis----------------------------------------------------------------------Spyropoulos

---------------------Torosidis---------Katsouranis-------Karagounis----------------------

----------------------------------Gekas-------------Papadopoulos-------------------------

Of course this is just an example, but this way you can see who can add something to the current squad but complimenting the current first team players.

If we win the group do we get an "easier" group in the euro08???? or are we stuck with that pool (us, austria, swiz, italia) which to me looks very frightening

Wherever we finish we will be a seeded team, hence, Austria, Switzerland and Italy are the teams we will be UNABLE to draw. Which is pathetic imo. I don't think the hosts should be seeded if they haven't earned. Where do UEFA get off putting Austria as a seeded team which means the holders (us) and the world champs (Italy) will draw teams like France, Germany, etc. It's bullshit! With this draw we'd be better off not being a seeded team!

I just checked out Greece - Georgia

This is a simlar match - meaningless and at home

The starting lineup for that one included Mantzios and Salpigidis both who were not regulars at the time

Like I said previosly - I want to see Tsiolis and Spyropoulos get some action

I'm assuming Toro is out due to too many yellows

I think we'll see

--------Nikopolidis------

Giorkas--Dellas-Kyrgiakos-spyropoulos

Kara-Basinas-Kats

Charisteas-Gekas-Amantidis

Pretty much the regulars - but I'm going to guess Tsiolis comes in for Basinas

I'd love to see Samaras for 90

I'm guessing anyone with any type of knock wil take this one off - or more likely the road game at Hungary

aek66 you've got 3 defensive mids in there; that makes no sense. Tziolis along with Basinas? We don't need 2 guys who play roughly the same position.Why Amanatidis up front with Gekas when his role has been a cross between attacking mid and striker? This is the way he's always played and this is how Otto is using him with 2 strikers in front of him. Samaras in the middle might work, partly due to his height...but he seems to cover a lot of territory from left to right. I've seen him turn in perfectly fine performances like this. Papadopoulos in the middle would be great but hardly anyone here seems to respond to that.

Archived