Phantis Forums

DIRECTV's Big Fat Greek Launch

DIRECTV expanded its WorldDirect programming platform last week with the addition of two new Greek-language channels - Alter Globe TV, the international version of one of Greece's entertainment channels, and GMTV, the first Greek music video channel. The satcaster is now the exclusive satellite provider of the new channels, plus the Greek nets it already carried - Mega Cosmos and A SAT here in the States.

According to DIRECTV, GMTV is the television home for Greek music, movies, fashion and other pop-culture topics. The company said Alter Globe TV offers news, comedy and other cultural programming.

Both channels are available in the GreekDirect II programming package, which includes Mega Cosmos and A SAT for $34.99 per month. Alter Globe TV is also available on an a la carte basis for $14.99 per month, the company said.

DIRECTV's GreekDirect II package is part of the WorldDirect platform that is tailored toward Greek-speaking audiences within the U.S. The company's WorldDirect Platform has launched 104 channels that deliver programming in several foreign languages, including Spanish, Russian, Hindi, Tamil, Gujarati, Bengali, Mandarin, Cantonese, Vietnamese, Tagalog, Korean, Italian, Polish, Arabic, Caribbean, Ukrainian and Greek.

DKSat

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This piece of news as reported on SATLEO is even funnier:

"DIRECTV is growing its WORLDDIRECT programming platform with the addition of two new Greek-language channels – Alter Globe TV, the international version of one of Greece's premiere entertainment channels and GMTV, the first music video channel dedicated to the music, sounds and style of Greek-Americans. DIRECTV is now the exclusive satellite provider of popular Greek networks Alter Globe TV, GMTV, Mega Cosmos and A SAT in the United States." (Greeknews)

Now, who better to know the "music, sounds, and style of Greek-Americans" than some unknown local channel from Galatsi? :LOL:

I don't know if it was Greeknews, Directv, or GTV itself that gave us such a lesson in hilarity.

Now, who better to know the "music, sounds, and style of Greek-Americans" than some unknown local channel from Galatsi?  :LOL:

I don't know if it was Greeknews, Directv, or GTV itself that gave us such a lesson in hilarity.

hahaha LOL :LOL: :LOL:

You are very right LOL

Some small town channel that hardly covers Greece lol

Yeah must be cause of Galatsi TV premium content such a big name channel must of cost alot to get GTV hahaha LOL :LOL: :LOL: :gr: :whistle: :LOL:

Apparently Directv thinks we are Amerikanakia :rolleyes:

I can't believe they don't have the $34.99 option for 3 channels on their page without that lousy GTV. Hmm, isn't forcing channels on people what so many here didn't like about Dish Network's policy? Then again, this is GTV we are talking about. :LOL:

Apparently Directv thinks we are Amerikanakia :rolleyes:

I can't believe they don't have the $34.99 option for 3 channels on their page without that lousy GTV. Hmm, isn't forcing channels on people what so many here didn't like about Dish Network's policy? Then again, this is GTV we are talking about. :LOL:

Maybe its a typo. I checked my account online, and it shows its 8 dollars more than before, which would make it 34.99. I can't check the details online with out singing up for "paperless" billing (only can check balance), so lets see what my bill says when it comes in the mail.....as well as others who have ordered it.

Apparently Directv thinks we are Amerikanakia  :rolleyes:

I can't believe they don't have the $34.99 option for 3 channels on their page without that lousy GTV. Hmm, isn't forcing channels on people what so many here didn't like about Dish Network's policy? Then again, this is GTV we are talking about.  :LOL:

Maybe its a typo. I checked my account online, and it shows its 8 dollars more than before, which would make it 34.99. I can't check the details online with out singing up for "paperless" billing (only can check balance), so lets see what my bill says when it comes in the mail.....as well as others who have ordered it.
Also in the press release at the top of the page it lists the price as 34.99. So it must be a typo.

Yeap looks like it was a type http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/packProg/cha...assetId=3320001

Four networks filled with great Greek programming - $34.99

Posted Image

GMTV, Channel 2165

GMTV hosts the freshest music videos, movie news, fashion updates and pop culture reports. With shows like "GMTV NEWS," "GMTV TOP 10," and "GMTV Turbo," Greek-Americans can stay in touch with all the coolest Greek entertainment.

LOL :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Looks like its not GTV www.gtv.gr to what the logo looks like

I have never heard of GMTV ( Greek Music TV ) they must be even smaller and unknown then GTV just keeps getting better and better with this unknown channel.. LOL :LOL:

Anyone found a website yet for this Big name channel? LOL :LOL:

Is this some DirecTV inhouse channel DirecTV has made for Greeks in America as I cant find anything at all about this channel?

Looks like its not GTV www.gtv.gr to what the logo looks like

I have never heard of GMTV ( Greek Music TV ) they must be even smaller and unknown then GTV just keeps getting better and better with this unknown channel.. LOL  :LOL:

Anyone found a website yet for this Big name channel? LOL  :LOL:

Is this some DirecTV inhouse channel DirecTV has made for Greeks in America as I cant find anything at all about this channel?

No. It's GTV. It shows the same logo on the screen as GTV. Maybe they just changed the name and logo to GMTV to make it look bigger in the US.

Bottom line: GMTV sucks compared to what MAD WORLD has to offer. Although I have noticed that it does offer a better mix of videos than BLUE, it sucks. Very empty. And there is no "movie news, fashion updates and pop culture reports. With shows like "GMTV NEWS", "GMTV TOP 10," and "GMTV Turbo," . I have yet to see any of those. And the programing schedule dosnt show that either. Just videos.

Maybe they are making this into a new channel based in the US, but using video feed from GTV in Greece. Sort of how BLUE has the Entertainment news show "cafe grek" or something based in the US.

I cant wait for MAD WORLD to come...

Also its beginning to look more and more like GMTV is a "free channel" since its not offered in A la carte and the package price for all 4 is 34.99, the same as the package price for the 3 channels given by DKSat before GMTV came.

I cant wait for MAD WORLD to come...

Also its beginning to look more and more like GMTV is a "free channel" since its not offered in A la carte and the package price for all 4 is 34.99, the same as the package price for the 3 channels given by DKSat before GMTV came.

Hmmm--if you are going to offer a channel for free to your subscribers, why make it this one? Weird...

Also, what are the chances the same platform will have 2 musical channels (GMTV now and MAD WORLD in the future)?

Interesting. I justed tuned into GMTV and the logo has changed from the "G" to "GMTV" pink logo with white background. I took a picture with my camera. Sorry for the quality, thats just how it comes out:

Posted Image

Notice how the letter "G" is in the same style as GTV Greece.

Also on the on screen guide, the description for the channel is "GMTV is the first music and pop culture destination for young Greek-Americans".

This makes me think that they plan to tailor the channel specifically to Greek-Americans in some way.

Yes and specifically to younger demographic it looks like...

They must be doing as you said using selected stuff from the GTV feed from Greece and making local shows in the US for GMTV to be shown

That logo looks horrible... LOL

Yes and specifically to younger demographic it looks like...

They must be doing as you said using selected stuff from the GTV feed from Greece and making local shows in the US for GMTV to be shown

That logo looks horrible... LOL

I just checked their website http://www.gtv.gr/, and it looks like they use the pink G in Greece too. Also it looks like their site hasnt been updated since at least last fall. :la:

But I dont know where DirecTV got that other logo from.... :gr:

Four networks filled with great Greek programming - $34.99

With comedy, news, drama, music, pop culture and more, GreekDirect II has programming for the whole family. To get GreekDirectII service, you must first subscribe to one of the following base packages:

• DIRECTV® BASIC ($9.99/mo.)

• DIRECTV PREFERRED CHOICE" programming package ($29.99/mo.)

• any DIRECTV base programming package (valued at $29.99/mo. or above)

How to Order

Add GreekDirect™II to your package when you order DIRECTV® service or call 1-800-378-7229.

Get DIRECTV Now

MEGA Cosmos, Channel 2162

MEGA Cosmos offers the very best in Greek Language entertainment television. 24-hour news, sports, movies, dramas, game shows and more.

Alpha Sat, Channel 2163

Features entertainment, soap–operas, game and reality TV, national and international news, as well as lifestyle programs.

Alter Globe, Channel 2164

With quality programming featuring Greece's top personalities, news anchors and highest-rated shows, Alter Globe offers a wide range of entertainment. Tune in for the latest in fashion, comedy, news and culture, and see the series that have made Alter Globe a favorite in the Greek community.

GMTV, Channel 2165

GMTV hosts the freshest music videos, movie news, fashion updates and pop culture reports. With shows like "GMTV NEWS," "GMTV TOP 10," and "GMTV Turbo," Greek-Americans can stay in touch with all the coolest Greek entertainment.

DKSat

Archived