Phantis Forums

Cyprus-Wales

bides

This is Cyprus chance to give payback tp a weak Welsh club with out Craig Bellamy..We need the three points..Konstantinou and Aloneftis should be fired up for this match...Its time to give Mr Koumas some payback..Konstantinou will be raring to go he has the Republic of Ireland coming up as well as he desrtoyed there defence this time last year..Good luck to the boys at the GSP!!!!!!!!!

Lineup

Georgiallides.Okkarides,Garpozis.Christou,Theodotou,Charalambides,Micheal.Makrides,Aloneftis,Okkas and Konstantinou...We have a full squad!!

This is Cyprus chance to give payback tp a weak Welsh club with out Craig Bellamy..We need the three points..Konstantinou and Aloneftis should be fired up for this match...Its time to give Mr Koumas some payback..Konstantinou will be raring to go he has the Republic of Ireland coming up as well as he desrtoyed there defence this time last year..Good luck to the boys at the GSP!!!!!!!!!

Lineup

Georgiallides.Okkarides,Garpozis.Christou,Theodotou,Charalambides,Micheal.Makrides,Aloneftis,Okkas and Konstantinou...We have a full squad!!

When we play in Cyrpus we know that our magic triangle of Aloneftis, Okkas & Konstantinou get goals. They work beautifully together and cause EVERY team problems. The main issue is whether we can keep a clean sheet.

Also with Greece playing 2 hours later hopefully we can get a decent size crowd for the game (although realistically that will only ever happen if we move the games back to Lemesso) <_<

Konstantinou can't be that sharp considering he's lacking first team football, but I'll still be optimistic and go for a 2-1 win.

Bellamy is fit and will play! Jason Koumas is inujured and won't feature though. While highly-rated Welsh forward Freddy Eastwood has promised to show what he can do.

I'm really nervous about this game. Konstantinou isn't sharp at the moment and Wales are in great form, and that is worrying.

3-1 Cyprus final..Konstantinou is hungrier than ever and so is Aloneftis..Cyprus will play hard at home and i think they will get the three points..Annastiades knows how to motivate the lads and they will keep there winning streak alive...

Konstantinou 2 goals Aloneftis 1

3-1 Cyprus final..Konstantinou is hungrier than ever and so is Aloneftis..Cyprus will play hard at home and i think they will get the three points..Annastiades knows how to motivate the lads and they will keep there winning streak alive...

Konstantinou 2 goals Aloneftis 1

I hope you're right, I'm much more nervous about the game. Konstantinou may be motivated but he isn't sharp.

Larissa's Nekatarios Alexandrou injured his ankle in training and won't play in either of the coming games. APEOL goalkeeper is back in the squad following his broken finger but PLEASE don't play him Anastasiadi! PLEASE!! He is the worst professional goalkeeper I've seen and if he plays ahead of Georgallidis we'll lose.

Bellamy is also on GREAT form, he scored a hatrick in Wales' last outing when the beat Slovakia 5-2 away!!! :o

The more time that passes the less confident I am :(

APEOL goalkeeper is back in the squad following his broken finger but PLEASE don't play him Anastasiadi! PLEASE!! He is the worst professional goalkeeper I've seen and if he plays ahead of Georgallidis we'll lose.

i've never seen him play but can he really be worse than nikopolidi & halkias ??

APEOL goalkeeper is back in the squad following his broken finger but PLEASE don't play him Anastasiadi! PLEASE!! He is the worst professional goalkeeper I've seen and if he plays ahead of Georgallidis we'll lose.

i've never seen him play but can he really be worse than nikopolidi & halkias ??
His name is Morphis and yes he is MUCH worse than either of the Greek gks, MUCH!!!!

From UEFA.com:

Cyprus striker Yiannis Okkas has called on his side to continue their good run when they take on Group D rivals Wales on Saturday in Nicosia. "We are the favourites," the 30-year-old said. "We have shown we can beat almost anyone at home, but we have to be focused so we can beat Wales – they are a good team." Wales and Cyprus are level on ten points after eight matches.

Btw, does anyone know what TV channels this will be shown on (in either Greece or Cyprus), I'm going to a bar that has Nova but am unsure as to whether they'll have it.

Bad news from Cyprus Mihalaki woke up Saturday morning and he had some pains in his leg, the doctor examined him and he probably wont be playing...So we have to due with out him!! Good luck boys and Good luck to the Mother Country today...Ate bame Ellas--Kypros!!!

Okka & Alonefti were amazing!

Yet another example of what I mean when I say Okka is a big game player. He scored vs Germany (and had one ruled out), scored against France, etc. Then today, when Cyprus are 0-1 down, who steps up? Oly should never have let him go, he offers so much to any team.

DIPLA STIN IRLANDIA KAI GERMANIA KAI MIA NIKI ENTOS EDRAS ME TIN TSEXIA KAI PAME YIA PROKRISI!!!!!!!! :P

Bellamy is fit and will play! Jason Koumas is inujured and won't feature though. While highly-rated Welsh forward Freddy Eastwood has promised to show what he can do.

I'm really nervous about this game. Konstantinou isn't sharp at the moment and Wales are in great form, and that is worrying.

Dude u had No confidence in the Cypriots it wasnt only Okkas and Aloneftis stepping up it was the whole team...First star goes to the coach who gets these players motivated!!! I watched this game Wales was completely outclassed the whole game just read the reports and i will link them below...Charalambides did his famous touba today he was great Makrides,Aloneftis superb game the defence played well too even with the defensive laps..Okkas brilliant scoring his 5th goal for Cyprus in this competition..Who would have thought even without there biggest weapon Konstantinou they rip apart the Welsh...He might be ready for Ireland ,Aloneftis got a late card and will not play..He played amazing turning the defence inside and out and setting up 2 goals...It could have easily been 6-1 tonight...Have confidence in the boys Dude and for the record the Welsh are in poor form..As john Toshak might resign after this clinic in football..All Cyprus needs know is the mentality of going away from home and winning games..In Cyprus we are not afraid of anyone hopefully this will soon change....Bravo kai stin Ellas to defend there title it was a great day in Greek football!!!!

Bruce Pope

Cyprus striker Yiannis Okkas (right) grabbed two goals against Wales

Wales threw away a good start to slump to a disappointing Euro 2008 qualifying loss in Nicosia on Saturday evening.

After Wales rode a tricky start, James Collins found space on the back post to side-foot home a Gareth Bale free-kick.

But Cyprus hit back with three goals after half-time, their task made easy by defensive lapses from free-kicks.

Yiannis Okkas claimed two close-range goals in a fine display, while a Konstantinos Charalampidis header from another set piece finished Wales off.

Interview: Wales manager John Toshack

Interview: Wales captain Craig Bellamy

The defeat puts a huge dent in Wales' hope of claiming third place in Group D to earn a better seeding for future tournaments.

Wales arrived seeking a third successive away victory, a feat they had not managed for 26 years.

But it was Cyprus who started the brighter at the Neo GSP Stadium, as the home side made light of the injury-enforced absence of top striker Michael Constantinou.

Okkas, in particular, caught the eye as Cyprus channelled much of their attacking play through the Celta Vigo forward.

A looping header from Chrisou Paraskevas was shepherded wide by Wales goalkeeper Danny Coyne, while Efstathios Aloneftis had a 25-yard pile-driver charged down.

606: DEBATE

What are your thoughts on Cyprus v Wales

Collins, playing on the right of a three-man Wales central defence, in particular had struggled to deal with the lively Okkas.

But after a difficult opening period the West Ham man turned the tables as he put Wales ahead.

The Cyprus defence was drawn to the near post as wing-back Bale ripped across a free-kick from wide on the left, leaving Collins unmarked at the far stick to side-foot his first goal for his country.

A driving run from Konstantinos Makridis nearly brought Cyprus level as he outpaced Danny Gabbidon, but Coyne was out well to snuff the danger.

Then just before the break a dangerous Cyprus free-kick found Alexandros Garpozis free in the Welsh area, only for the midfielder to put his strong header straight at Coyne.

During the rearguard action goalscorer Collins fell awkwardly and was forced to limp off a minute before half-time, to be replaced by Craig Morgan.

Okkas had the ball in the back of the Wales net within two minutes of the restart, but the striker had strayed marginally offside and was denied by the assistant's flag.

Cyprus continued to press but nearly fell to a classic counter-attack as Joe Ledley's incisive pass sent Craig Bellamy through on goal.

The Wales skipper showed pace that belied the groin operation he underwent nine days ago and drew a full-stretch save from Antonis Georgallides.

James Collins scored his first Wales goal before Cyprus hit back

Wales manager John Toshack added further pace by putting Rob Earnshaw on up front in place of a subdued Freddy Eastwood.

But no sooner had the swap taken place than Cyprus equalised through dangerman Okkas.

A curled Aloneftis free-kick from the right should have been claimed by Coyne, but the Tranmere keeper was back on his heels as Okkas rose in front of him to power a header home on 59 minutes.

The nerves spread and Wales found themselves behind nine minutes later as Sam Ricketts and Morgan left a deep free-kick from Yiasoumis Yiasoumi to each other.

Aloneftis needed no second invitation on the back post to send the ball back across the area and Okkas smashed home his second goal from two yards.

A third Cyprus goal soon followed to end the visitors' hopes and again the cause was Wales going to sleep as a free-kick was curled in.

There was no defender within five yards of Charalampidis as the ball was knocked back across goal and the Carl Zeiss Jena striker could not miss with a simple header.

Wales must now pick themselves up for Wednesday's match away against Group D minnows San Marino, while Cyprus travel to take on the Republic of Ireland.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cyprus: Georgallides, Okkarides, Satsias, Elia, Michail, Paraskevas, Garpozis, Makridis, Nicolau, Aloneftis, Okkas.

Subs: Morphis, Lambrou, Theofilou, Theodotou, Charalampidis, Marangos, Yiasoumis.

Wales: Coyne, Ricketts, Bale, Gabbidon, Collins, Nyatanga, Ledley, Robinson, Davies, Bellamy, Eastwood.

Subs: Price, Eardley, Vaughan, Crofts, Morgan, Easter, Earnshaw.

Referee: Carlo Bertolini (Switzerland).

Att: 8,500

Toshack fury with Wales 'debacle'

Wales boss John Toshack despaired at Wales' tame loss in Cyprus

John Toshack described Wales' 3-1 Euro qualifying defeat in Cyprus as a "debacle" and in his frustration even questioned his own position as manager.

Wales took the lead in Nicosia but a series of defensive lapses saw Cyprus hit back to win 3-1 on Saturday.

"I will have to have a long hard look at myself and what I am doing here," said the 58-year-old.

"After what I have seen in this match I am obviously doing something wrong... we were second best everywhere."

Interview: Wales manager John Toshack

Interview: Wales captain Craig Bellamy

Toshack saw a side that had beaten Slovakia 5-2 in their last match slump alarmingly in the Neo GSP Stadium after being ahead at the break through a James Collins goal.

"I was bitterly disappointed by the performance and want to apologise to our fans who made the trip out here to watch this debacle," Toshack added.

606: DEBATE

What are your thoughts on Cyprus v Wales

"Cyprus were worthy winners and we were fortunate to be 1-0 up at the break.

"We tried to make some changes at the break but went from bad to worse. It was a shocking performance and we did not compete in any areas of the pitch.

"It was very, very disappointing to watch that."

Cyprus coach Angelos Anastasiadis said: "This is how we want to play in every match we play at this level.

"Apart from their goal, Wales had only one other chance.

"We were just much better than them in the second half. Now we go to face the Republic of Ireland next week with confidence.

"But we must not do what we did last year. Then, having beaten the Irish 5-2 here, we went to Wales and lost.

"We must not do that, we must produce a better away record."

Group D

Germany 9 23

Czech Republic 9 20

Republic of Ireland 10 15

Slovakia 10 13

Cyprus 9 13

Wales 9 10

San Marino 10 0

Not bad, they are only 2 points seperated from Ireland for 3rd place. Would that be nice to finish behind Germany and Czech Republic. :tup:

Archived