Phantis Forums

EURO 2008: Turkey - Greece

plato-ny

Shocking comments from Terim! How dare he says something like that, I expect him to say something more professional! :nono: Now is Greece's chance to make a point, we need a result (either draw or win). Let's take it to them! :gr: :gr: :gr:

I'm surprised that the Turkish coach would say something like that as well especially since his team was the beneficiary of a call against Hungary.

At the time it appeared that the Hungarian player might get a penalty shot but instead he got a RED CARD and only then did Turkey take control.

The Turkish team is feeling the heat and I'm sure there are several Turks who want to take over as head coach for the national team and those Turks might actually be rooting for Greece to win. Failure by one person is an opportunity for others.

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bosnia-Herzegovina star Mirko Hrgovic had an eventful game, seeing red just two minutes after levelling the scores at 1-1 at the start of the second half.

Terim said: "Some interesting things are happening in our group. Greece were playing Bosnia at home and the best Bosnian player was sent off. I didn't believe that. It must be something to think about."

I can't believe that last comment in red ...  :o

The two other comments in red don't worry me. They were also supposedly way better than Moldova and they were also going to beat Moldova and look what happened ...

We got to beat them badly just for the last comment.Just because he dared to imply something,we have to go there and go Mohamed Ali on there a..,THE CHAMP IS HERE,THE CHAMP IS HERE :box: :box: :box: :box: :box: :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr:

This comment is not actual and very old.

And it is not correct translated.... I read it in turkish .. He meant with ,,interested things happened''not the Greece gets an advantage or something . He meant that it was unlucky for Bosnia that they lost theri best player and this was lucky for Greece... this is not a bad comment.

On wednesday my friend you will see a fighting turkish football team who will play like it will be their last game - and greek defense will have much to do.

I expect that greece will also score goals because Turkey will play aggressive forward and there will be more roam for greek strikers in the turkish goal area.

But I expect also that Turkey will at least score more goals then Greece because the turkish team is much more fit than it was in March.

Congrulations for the Greek football team for their win. Now they are in a very good position , Greece will go to Euro 2008 and Turkey will follow.

Bosnia-Herzegovina star Mirko Hrgovic had an eventful game, seeing red just two minutes after levelling the scores at 1-1 at the start of the second half.

Terim said: "Some interesting things are happening in our group. Greece were playing Bosnia at home and the best Bosnian player was sent off. I didn't believe that. It must be something to think about."

I can't believe that last comment in red ...

Dear Dude,

I can say what ever I want - you hate Turkey and you hate everything from Turkey...

Ok I can understand this everybody loves and hates something or somebody.

And I know that millions of people wants to see my people down-Ok I can understand this too because there are people who needs an enemy too feel good -what I cant understand.

I want to tell you about my view:

It is great that Greece is on the top of this goup and not Norway, because Greece has deserved to go to Euro 2008 they are the champions.

I want to remember you that the turkish team is capable to get every result they want just if they want- on Saturday they showed their old desease that they understimate small countries and unlucky for us that Moldova defended with 11 men (really not a fake)

I believe that Norway will be beaten.

And please dont be so negative to Turkey -look forward and relax

@ turkcell, thanks for offering another side of the story, I can't read Turkish so I don't know, but whatever Terim meant, it must've been a weird way of formulating for it to get translated that way.

Something else though, DUDE in his post (the one you quoted, that was two sentences long and only said that Norway will beat Turkey) said nothing wrong or nothing to provoke you. He has a right to an opinion like you do. Nobody's talking about "taking your people down", (except for you), we were talking about Turkey-Greece this wednesday should you be in doubt.

So for the sake of keeping things calm in here, don't get things confused and heat things up when nothing bad has been said.

Anyways, a short sentence like "We will beat Greece for sure", was that also translated badly? Or did Terim really say that?

Dear Dude,

I can say what ever I want - you hate Turkey and you hate everything from Turkey...

Ok I can understand this everybody loves and hates something or somebody.

And I know that millions of people wants to see my people down-Ok I can understand this too because there are people who needs an enemy too feel good -what I cant understand.

I want to tell you about my view:

It is great that Greece is on the top of this goup and not Norway, because Greece has deserved to go to Euro 2008 they are the champions.

I want to remember you that the turkish is capable to get every result they want just if they want- on Saturday they showed their old desease that they understimate small countries and unlucky for us that Moldova defended with 11 men (really not a fake)

I believe that Norway will be beaten.

And please dont be so negative to Turkey -look forward and relax

All i said was that I think Norway will beat Turkey at home... relax.

As for Turkey being able to win a game whenever they want... didn't they want to beat Latvia to qualify for Euro 2004 or did they prefer to stay at home and watch Hellas win it? :LOL: :gr:

You are right about one thing though... if you don't qualify, I'm going to love it! :D :gr:

@ turkcell, thanks for offering another side of the story, I can't read Turkish so I don't know, but whatever Terim meant, it must've been a weird way of formulating for it to get translated that way.

Something else though, DUDE in his post (that was two sentences long and only said that Norway will beat Turkey) said nothing wrong or nothing to provoke you. He has a right to an opinion like you do. Nobody's talking about "taking your people down", (except for you), we were talking about Turkey-Greece this wednesday should you be in doubt.

So for the sake of keeping things calm in here, don't get things confused and heat things up when nothing bad has been said.

Anyways, a short sentence like "We will beat Greece for sure", was that also translated badly? Or did Terim really say that?

Thanks for you comment.

Sure Dude has its right to say it - but I also read every post of Dude since I am member here - I never read one positive word for our turkish team.... but change the topic.

I also read everything Terim said in the turkish paper: Believe me also not very correct translated if you just read one sentence of a huge interview.

What Terim says is that turkey must win against Greece not cause of any political motivation or cause Greece is getting understimated.

Fatih Terim figured out that Greece has a very good team at this moment and it will be very hard on wednesday. But he believes in his squad that they will beat Greece -this his is words and really guys - I also played amatuer football for years - and no coach on earth will use another words.

Every coach must say this- every coach believes in his squad, to his players and Fatih Terim is more a father-figure in the turkish NT, he cant say words like ,,maybe we can win'' or something else he must use sentences like ,,we will beat Greece''

cause he believes in his team- this is sports man.

If anybody has questions of the latest inteview comments of Fatih Terim, I will translate it for you and I will write it down here in this Forum.

If anybody is interested of the turkish line up on wednesday (like injuries etc.)

I can also inform you from turkish paper sources about the latest news

Sure Dude has its right to say it - but I also read every post of Dude since I am member here - I never read one positive word for our turkish team

You want a positive comment, ok...

ummmm.... errrr.... let me think...

You play exciting and fast football. You have a good future too because of your talented youth teams. Nonetheless... you still won't qualify for Euro 2008. ;)

On a serious note, I'm not trying to be provocative or anything, but how come Turkey plays in the European competitions? If you were playing with your people in the Asian Cup you'd have more of a chance to qualify and you'd feel right at home. Just a thought.

You want a positive comment, ok...

ummmm.... errrr.... let me think...

oh my god.... what do youre parents or your teachers say to this kind of words :LOL: :LOL:

Hey Dude relax man.... I know that you are not old enough to think like an adult.

My message again:

guys I am willing to post here Informations about the latest news from the turkish NT like interviews form Fatih Terim ( Translated by me from the turkish) and of the current state of injuries and line up of turkish squad..

but tommorrow... so just post your questions her so I will try my best.#

Let's not all get ahead of ourselves simply because Turkey tied with Moldova. They are a tough side to play at-home, and we struggled ourselves for that 1-0 win. Turkey had some bad luck that day, and the Moldovian keeper made some nervy saves.

If we lose, I think it will be because of our keeper problem. Although Niko made some outstanding saves during the Werder Bremen match, I still don't trust him. Chalkias, sadly, is our only hope.

Turkcell: I don't think Turkey will play as offensively as you say; there is no doubt Terim knows we will use a 5-3-2, so he will be cautious of the counter attack---that is what happened, after all, in Malta.

Our players' resolve is good and they are in the best form, but, with a lousy keeper in goal, I'm not so sure we can win. They take a lot of powerful shots from outside the box, which, because of our keeper situation, is our biggest threat.

Turkeys 4-1 was the result of panic. After conceding the first goal, we panicked and sent all our men up front, and after missing a number of easy chances, they kept catching us on the counter attack. That is why the psychological warfare Terim is playing has to be brushed aside; their is no gauranteed victory or qualification for anyone yet (at least not mathematically).

Let's not all get ahead of ourselves simply because Turkey tied with Moldova. They are a tough side to play at-home, and we struggled ourselves for that 1-0 win. Turkey had some bad luck that day, and the Moldovian keeper made some nervy saves.

If we lose, I think it will be because of our keeper problem. Although Niko made some outstanding saves during the Werder Bremen match, I still don't trust him. Chalkias, sadly, is our only hope.

Turkcell: I don't think Turkey will play as offensively as you say; there is no doubt Terim knows we will use a 5-3-2, so he will be cautious of the counter attack---that is what happened, after all, in Malta.

Our players' resolve is good and they are in the best form, but, with a lousy keeper in goal, I'm not so sure we can win. They take a lot of powerful shots from outside the box, which, because of our keeper situation, is our biggest threat.

Turkeys 4-1 was the result of panic. After conceding the first goal, we panicked and sent all our men up front, and after missing a number of easy chances, they kept catching us on the counter attack. That is why the psychological warfare Terim is playing has to be brushed aside; their is no gauranteed victory or qualification for anyone yet (at least not mathematically).

The problem won't be the keeper, they can only take advantage of that if we let them. The problem is pace. Basinas, Dellas, & Karagounis are very slow, and they are the spine of the team!!! We need pace in the middle. Get Spyropoulo in a left back and Toro in the middle and we'll demolish them. Otherwise Tuncay, Arda, etc, will simply out pace us.

I managed to see the whole Greece vs Bosnia game on Youtube (it's been posted in 11 different parts) and I've got to say that that is the worst performance I've seen under Otto. It was constant long balls! Get the team playing as a unit gamoto!!! My heart is saying we'll get revenge but my head is telling me we're in for another raping.

Our players know what needs to be done in this game and i have faith in them that they will be succesfull.Turkey needs to win,we need not to lose and we know that there is tomorrow for us while for them a not positive result might be disaster with the Norway game away.As a said before,we show up serious and we play hard & smart,check your passports boys because we are going to Euro 2008 to defend our title. :tup: :gr:

Can you believe the arrogance of this Turkish coach? And what, he was suggesting our match vs. Bosnia was fixed? It might be good for the football community if he were to shut his UGLY FACE. Let me put it this way: we have the better talent, and we have a team that can put things together on a good day. THEY DON'T.

Not to provoke an of our Turkish friends - but I think that Norway will win the game vs Turkiey and in all honesty I think they have a great chance to win the group

I think they win all 3 to go to 26 pts

we lose to Turkey, beat Malta and get to 25 - then we have progressed to EURO and lose at a motivated Hungary team with a team of backups and youngsters

Turkey will be at 21 pts - then they win their final game

final standings

Norway 26

Greece 25

turkey 24

I honestly think there is a great chance of this happening

personally I don't care who progresses with us to EURO

I think our team has played the best soccer but the Turks did feed up a beating

However they have played uniinspired soccer vs the minnows

On the other hand Norway has only 2 point sin 3 games against us and Turkey

plus as a fan I much prefer the Turks style to the Norweigans - they were brutes against us and should have lost

Not to provoke an of our Turkish friends - but I think that Norway will win the game vs Turkiey and in all honesty I think they have a great chance to win the group

I think they win all 3 to go to 26 pts

we lose to Turkey, beat Malta and get to 25 - then we have progressed to EURO and lose at a motivated Hungary team with a team of backups and youngsters

Turkey will be at 21 pts - then they win their final game

final standings

Norway 26

Greece 25

turkey 24

I honestly think there is a great chance of this happening

I think our team has played the best soccer but the Turks did feed up a beating

However they have played uniinspired soccer vs the minnows

On the other hand Norway has only 2 point sin 3 games against us and Turkey

plus as a fan I much prefer the Turks style to the Norweigans - they were brutes against us and should have lost

Ma'se me ta kala sou re? FORZA NORWAY!!!!!!!!
Hey DUDE i agree with you about this turkey stuff. their fans had nothing good to say about us either and that just pissed me off even more. :angry: :angry: . I understand that all fans are not this way but the comments of those fans just pissed me off so i dont really care if their team qualifies.

It is time for a win we have not beaten them yet, but i tell you what a time to beat them, and knock them out of contention even a draw would be enough ;)

EuroBet Odds

Turkey-Greece 1.90 3.15 3.90 (Turkey favorite)

Bosnia & Herzegovina-Norway 3.25 3.30 2.05 (Norway favorite)

TERIM BULLISH FOR GREECE CLASH

Posted Image

Turkey coach Fatih Terim is in confident mood ahead of his side's crucial Euro 2008 qualifier against Greece on Wednesday.

A 1-1 draw in Moldova on Saturday left Terim's men four points behind Group C leaders Greece, with a tough run-in on the horizon.

After Greece visit the Ali Sami Yen stadium, Turkey will next month travel to Norway, who are just a point back, before returning home to host Bosnia-Herzegovina.

Terim told newspaper Hurriyet: "We will beat Greece, for sure."

They are in a very positive position, but we have to beat them and travel to Norway with the advantage. We will succeed in doing that.

"Greece games are always important for Turkey - we like difficult times.

"We have the strength and the heart to overcome our difficulties at the Ali Sami Yen."

Greece are will travel to Istanbul in high spirits after beating Bosnia-Herzegovina 3-2 in Athens on Saturday.

Terim said: "Some interesting things are happening in our group. Greece were playing Bosnia at home and the best Bosnian player was sent off. I didn't believe that. It must be something to think about." (How about the Hungary game where Turkey needed a red card to win the match? How about Norway's first goal against Greece which was a foul)

Terim insisted his players would learn from Saturday's draw with Moldova, when they dominated the game but could not claim more than a point after falling behind early on.

"We could have won the game by a big margin," Terim said. "We didn't play well and we have made it harder now. We will be more disciplined from now on.

"We should have been level after the first half.

"We managed to score through Umit Karan in the second half and started playing a more attacking game, got some chances, but we couldn't score. However, We are still in the race."

Hakan Sukur did not feature on Saturday after suffering a hand injury in training.

The extent of the damage should be confirmed on Tuesday, but goalkeeper Hakan Arikan will definitely miss out against Greece after exiting the Moldova game with an injury.

[The problem won't be the keeper, they can only take advantage of that if we let them. The problem is pace. Basinas, Dellas, & Karagounis are very slow, and they are the spine of the team!!! We need pace in the middle. Get Spyropoulo in a left back and Toro in the middle and we'll demolish them. Otherwise Tuncay, Arda, etc, will simply out pace us.

thats basically my point. we lost patsa and katsouranis. we need another midfielder who can make things happen. this has got to be torosidis. there is no other option. otto will probably go for antzas which is a decent solution but cripples us in terms of pae and drive as you say.

to me torosidis is a great player. it is very sad to see him wasted as a left defender when he simply doesnt know the position and can t live up to his potential. we need crosses flying in the box and toro on the left wont be able to bring them in.

to give spyropoulos his first cap in this game is also somewhat risky. thats a mistake otto made. we had the games to give spyropoulos a chance. we wasted them. so realistically toro will play on the left and probably wont get raped but will be nowhere as good as he could be and thus wont help the team as much as he could.

[I managed to see the whole Greece vs Bosnia game on Youtube (it's been posted in 11 different parts) and I've got to say that that is the worst performance I've seen under Otto. It was constant long balls! Get the team playing as a unit gamoto!!! My heart is saying we'll get revenge but my head is telling me we're in for another raping.

what has to be said in favor of otto though is that even though we play like garbage at times. we get the results. once may be luck, a whole campaign is more than just luck. still the group may not be as strong but the important part is qualifying. except for our midfield problem which will resolve once otto uses spyropoulos on the left (if he ever does), we only need finetuning in defence to field a good squad at the euro. i am somewhat more optimistic than i was before.

still there is alot of work to be done. and wednesday is a good time to start.

Archived