Phantis Forums

EURO 2008: Turkey - Greece

plato-ny

It is time for revenge all players and greek fans should know losing 4-1 to anyone is a disgrace, we need to remeber that we are the european champions no-one beats us at home especially turkey, and we need to set the record and bragging rights straight that we are the better team, that's why we are first in our group.

The presuure is on turkey they have to win, if they lose, draw than Terim is out of a job, they struggled to beat Hungary if it was not for that red card and playing with 10 ment since the 56th min, they would have drawn, turkey at the moment are not plaing good football, its time for us to play attacking football, if we get an early goal then i think the pressure on turkey will be too great they will cop red cards because they are sore loosers, i dont think they can cope with pressure too well, especially at thier own home ground.

I say play to win, lets beat them and assure qualification lets get it over and done with, then the other 2 matches wont mean much to us we can experiment with the younger players. :gr: :gr:

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wishing Greece all the best for the match against Turkey. It would be really nice for us norwegians if you could grab a point there, or preferably all 3.

Greece will probably reach euro 2008 no matter the result, but I take it your boys will be top motivated. I've been on this forum enough to notice the relationship between your countries...

so, best luck, Greece :tup:

Turkey will be without their first choice goalkeeper/

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/euro/news...sid=602942.html

^ I recall Turkey winning in Greece with a mostly-second team so I dont think that will make a big difference. The advantage for Greece is that all the pressure is on Turkey. In the 3 games between them, the road team has had the positive result.

also i understand we have NEVER beaten turkey so if we win it will be our first victory against them and back to back EUROS

That's not true, we have beaten them 2 or 3 times and tied the last two before Euro 2008 qualifs.
i will correct myself this will be our first victory against the Turks for 55 years.....

we have had 2 wins and 2 draws

but draws dont count as victories re file, unless your a PC person then they count as "moral victories" hahaha

although this victory will be the most beautiful of all im sure we can all agree on that

Otto Rehhagel refused to get carried away after a 3-2 win for Greece and a 1-1 draw for Turkey left the European champions in a commanding position in Group C.

Cautious coach

The German coach was far from convinced by his side's victory at home against Bosnia-Herzegovina and was not ready to book his ticket to Austria and Switzerland just yet despite Greece being four points clear at the top of their section with three games to go. "The qualifying phase is like a 400m race in athletics," he said. "We might be on the final stretch but we haven't crossed the finish line yet. When we are mathematically certain we will acknowledge that we achieved our goal - but not before then."

Wrong mentality

Reflecting on Saturday's win, he added: "We took a deserved lead through [Angelos] Charisteas, but then I saw some things in my team I didn't like, as well as in the second half after the Bosnians were reduced to ten men. Perhaps it's a matter of mentality, because everybody thought - even before the match - that we had already qualified. I say you have to wait for the ball to cross the line before you celebrate. However I don't want to criticise my players."

Charisteas achievement

Charisteas' goal put him fifth in Greece's all-time scorers' list, level with Demis Nikolaidis - a team-mate at UEFA EURO 2004™ and now president of AEK Athens FC - on 17 goals. The 1.FC Nürnberg striker said: "It was a deserved victory from a stressful match. It was important to take the lead early, but we were pegged back from a set piece. However we stayed cool and managed to score quickly afterwards and then took advantage of our numerical advantage."

'In debt'

Greece now face Turkey in Istanbul on Wednesday looking to avenge the 4-1 home defeat that rocked Rehhagel's team back in March. Defender Vassilios Torosidis said: "Our 4-1 defeat to Turkey last March was a heavy one. More than anything, this next game is a matter of pride." Greece captain Angelos Basinas agreed: "The 4-1 defeat against Turkey has left us in debt to Greek fans."

'A big deal'

However, Turkey's 1-1 draw in Moldova on Saturday has taken some of the sting out of the tie, as Stylianos Giannakopoulos acknowledged: "We focused on our match, but then we learned also about our gift from Moldova. Now we can travel to Istanbul with no stress at all. It's not a matter of settling old scores - our goal is always to win. We were very upset after the 4-1 defeat - we were criticised and that made us more determined. It will be a huge accomplishment if we qualify for a second consecutive EURO. It is also a big deal for all the players who couldn't be with us in Portugal three years ago."

From uefa.com.

I think this will be either a tie or a win for Greece. :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr:

I'm also glad that in one of the interviews Rehhagel acknowledged they will be going for a win and not the draw he first spoke of.

we have a shortage of midfielders in the squad which makes castillo's decision to play for mexico a big loss to greece, we should try to persuade masmanidis to play for greece he will be a good addition to the squad. as for the game katsouranis being suspended is a huge loss and without a proper goalkeeper in our squad i can't see how greece will keep a clean sheet, i'd be delighted with a draw but i think we'll struggle.

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/euro/index.html (click on the blue icon next to the turkey v moldova result)

the above link shows clips of the turkey v moldova match, the moldovan keeper had a blinder, imagine that was nikopolidi or halkias!!

That's something I'm really wondering atm btw ...

Who is Rehhagel gonna put in the goal for this game (considering what Niko did/had last game vs. Turkey). Is he gonna give Nikopolidis a chance for "revenge" or is he going to put Chalkias in just to be safe?

we have a shortage of midfielders in the squad which makes castillo's decision to play for mexico a big loss to greece, we should try to persuade masmanidis to play for greece he will be a good addition to the squad. as for the game katsouranis being suspended is a huge loss and without a proper goalkeeper in our squad i can't see how greece will keep a clean sheet, i'd be delighted with a draw but i think we'll struggle.

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/euro/index.html (click on the blue icon next to the turkey v moldova result)

the above link shows clips of the turkey v moldova match, the moldovan keeper had a blinder, imagine that was nikopolidi or halkias!!

Just did some background info. If this is true, then he cannot play for Greece.

WIKIPEIDA

Ioannis Masmanidis (born 9 March 1983 in Leverkusen, Germany) is a Greek German footballer, who joined Arminia Bielefeld during the winter transfer period 2005/06 from Karlsruher SC. He usually plays on the left side of attack or midfield. Also plays for the German U-21 national team.

He represented Germany Under-20 team at the 2003 FIFA World Youth Championship, Germany Under-21 team at European under-21 championship 2006.

Turkey coach Fatih Terim is in confident mood ahead of his side's crucial Euro 2008 qualifier against Greece on Wednesday.

A 1-1 draw in Moldova on Saturday left Terim's men four points behind Group C leaders Greece, with a tough run-in on the horizon.

After Greece visit the Ali Sami Yen stadium, Turkey will next month travel to Norway, who are just a point back, before returning home to host Bosnia-Herzegovina.

Terim told newspaper Hurriyet: "We will beat Greece, for sure.

"They are in a very positive position, but we have to beat them and travel to Norway with the advantage. We will succeed in doing that.

"Greece games are always important for Turkey - we like difficult times.

"We have the strength and the heart to overcome our difficulties at the Ali Sami Yen."

Greece will travel to Istanbul in high spirits after beating Bosnia-Herzegovina 3-2 in Athens on Saturday.

Bosnia-Herzegovina star Mirko Hrgovic had an eventful game, seeing red just two minutes after levelling the scores at 1-1 at the start of the second half.

Terim said: "Some interesting things are happening in our group. Greece were playing Bosnia at home and the best Bosnian player was sent off. I didn't believe that. It must be something to think about."

Terim insisted his players would learn from Saturday's draw with Moldova, when they dominated the game but could not claim more than a point after falling behind early on.

"We could have won the game by a big margin," Terim said. "We didn't play well and we have made it harder now. We will be more disciplined from now on.

"We should have been level after the first half.

"We managed to score through Umit Karan in the second half and started playing a more attacking game, got some chances, but we couldn't score. However, We are still in the race."

Hakan Sukur did not feature on Saturday after suffering a hand injury in training.

The extent of the damage should be confirmed on Tuesday, but goalkeeper Hakan Arikan will definitely miss out against Greece after exiting the Moldova game with an injury.

Source.

I can't believe that last comment in red ... :o (I highlighted them myself of course).

The two other comments in red don't worry me. They were also supposedly way better than Moldova and they were also going to beat Moldova and look what happened ...

Once again take the 3 pts and run,but conceding 2 goals to a Bosnian side is a concern.

Last game vs Turkey their pace and our lack of hustle...and horrible keeping showed 1-4.

Our boys better be ready, because the Turks have their backs against the proverbial wall. Otto better have the boys mentally ready for this one,or I see a bad result.

Someone posted that Spyropoulos should not be put in, I believe this is exactly the game he should play,he will be hungry,wanting to earn a regular spot and not thinking for reservations for wife and kids for Euro 2008. I'm hoping they come out with a hunger not only to clinch,but to eliminate our arch rival!

I like a counter attack as the tactic de jour, we do not have the midfield to go 4-3-3.

Lineup:OFI-MTL 4-5-1

Chalkias,Giourkas,Dellas,Soto,Spyropoulos,Salpi(or Stelios),Torosidis,Basinas,Karagounis,Amanatidis,Gekas

Lineup Otto:

Nikopolidis,Giourkas,Dellas,Soto,Torosidis,Antzas,Basinas,Karagounis,Stelios,Amanatidis,Gekas

Good Luck to the Boys

Once again take the 3 pts and run,but conceding 2 goals to a Bosnian side is a concern.

Last game vs Turkey their pace and our lack of hustle...and horrible keeping showed 1-4.

Our boys better be ready, because the Turks have their backs against the proverbial wall. Otto better have the boys mentally ready for this one,or I see a bad result.

Someone posted that Spyropoulos should not be put in, I believe this is exactly the game he should play,he will be hungry,wanting to earn a regular spot and not thinking for reservations for wife and kids for Euro 2008. I'm hoping they come out with a hunger not only to clinch,but to eliminate our arch rival!

I like a counter attack as the tactic de jour, we do not have the midfield to go 4-3-3.

Lineup:OFI-MTL 4-5-1

Chalkias,Giourkas,Dellas,Soto,Spyropoulos,Salpi(or Stelios),Torosidis,Basinas,Karagounis,Amanatidis,Gekas

Lineup Otto:

Nikopolidis,Giourkas,Dellas,Soto,Torosidis,Antzas,Basinas,Karagounis,Stelios,Amanatidis,Gekas

Good Luck to the Boys

Bosnia-Herzegovina star Mirko Hrgovic had an eventful game, seeing red just two minutes after levelling the scores at 1-1 at the start of the second half.

Terim said: "Some interesting things are happening in our group. Greece were playing Bosnia at home and the best Bosnian player was sent off. I didn't believe that. It must be something to think about."

I can't believe that last comment in red ...  :o

The two other comments in red don't worry me. They were also supposedly way better than Moldova and they were also going to beat Moldova and look what happened ...

We got to beat them badly just for the last comment.Just because he dared to imply something,we have to go there and go Mohamed Ali on there a..,THE CHAMP IS HERE,THE CHAMP IS HERE :box: :box: :box: :box: :box: :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr:

we have to go there and go Mohamed Ali on there a..,

Do you mean Mike Zambidis? ;)

We can beat these punks. "We will beat Greece for sure"... if a 4-1 defeat at the hands of these mongols and comments like this and the one about the red don't punp up our players nothing will. Personally, I think (know!) that to beat Turkey we need pace in the team. We have the better individual players but the team lacks speed in midfield. I'd LOVE to see this:

----------------------------------------Chalkias---------------------------------------------

-------------------------Goumas------Dellas--------Kyriakos------------------------------

Seitaridis----------------------------------------------------------------------Spyropoulos

-------------------------Torosidis-----Basinas-------Karagounis--------------------------

-----------------------------Haristeas-----------Gekas-------------------------------------

Ideally I would have played a different team but we have to consider what is realistic for Otto and I hope we see this. Torosidi will destroy them if he plays in centre-mdfield. Let's be solid and get some energetic over-lapping from our full backs and some powerful runs from Toro. Later in the game introduce Amanatidis, Stelios, & Lybe and let's get our revenge!

NIKI MES TIN POLI, ELLAS-OLE, OLE!

TIME FOR THE PIRATES TO RECLAIM THEIR GOLD!!! :ph34r: :gr: :ph34r: :gr:

I was trying to edited your post with blue letters, no seem to work! he he he

Like I said ... "if".

And "if" it were to be, I guess because "we" (whatever that may mean in sports) as a country have fairly good relations with Spain, and well, their queen is Greek, so ... :tup: :gr: :tup:

Maybe queen Sofia can convince him to whistle to our advantage a bit :D.

Honnestly though I think we should not at all underestimate these Turks, pressure or not, as they won't hand it to us on a silver plate ...

But I do agree with you, Serbian, Armenian or Cypriot would be an even bigger advantage ! ! ! :LOL:

Archived