Phantis Forums

EURO 2008: Turkey - Greece

plato-ny

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a great victory for Hellas and it was nice to advance in Turkey, on "home soil", and to reclaim Constantinople, figuratively speaking . This victory reminded me of Greece's 1-0 victories in Euro 2004. After the Turkey match in Greece, the Turks' heads got inflated and thought they would easily win the division and were one of the elite teams od Europe.

Now how do they look? They are on the verge of not qualifying for a major tournament for the 3rd straight time. The last time was Wc 2002 where they defeated and tied teams from Asia, Africa, and Central America of which none were in the Top 25 of the FIFA rankings.

Turkey has a chance to make 2nd place WITHOUT playing a playoff, something which haunted them the last 2 qualification tries. If the Turks bring up the 1-4 win, Greece's 1- 0 win in Turkey is MUCH bigger considering that in the match in Greece, there was much less on the line wheras in Turkey, there was much more on the line. Its interesting that the road team has had the positive result in all 4 meetings and the Turks should not be so stuck on their record against Greece in meaningless friendlies.

Greece recovered very well psychologically from the home loss to Turkey and have had all postive results since. Terim is so stupid as his comments gave Greece motivation. I love the fact that Greece went for road wins against Norway and Turkey instead of all defense and going for ties. This is the best ball, in the Turkey match, that Greece played under Otto, who deserves plenty of praise for his work. That embarasing home loss to Turkey actually helped Greece and would eventually hurt Turkey in an ironic twist. What would come full circle in this whole oddyssey is for Turkey to not qualify and REALLY stick it to them and would make them think twice before any Turk brings up 1-4, which would have an asterisk attached to it saying "you didnt pass but Greece did".

On a side note, Cyprus almost won in Ireland and blew it at the 90th minute but they did beat them 5-2 at home months back so thats good.

AUSTRIA AND SWITZERLAND, LIKE IT OR NOT, HERE COME THE DEFENDING CHAMPIONS!!!

To all Greeks

I have not commented much since the March 1-4 loss, mainly as I attacked those Turkish morons who invaded the site with the typical 1-4-5-3.

My last comments was the game in Greece was played at the wrong time with the emotion of Greek Independence Day being critical. I also mentioned that Greece would qualify as these results happen to every team and is a good wake up call. Similar to the result Germany 1 vs England 5 a few years ago.

Even though I was unable to see the match, this performance showed character and a showed that the perfomance in Athens was one of those days where everything goes wrong.

We should be proud of he achievement and they have qualified in style. Norway could even see that Turkey does not even qualify. They meet next in Norway and this would be great to see them knock Turkey out to rub real salt into the wounds.

The Turks have had a bad few weeks, their football has gone back and the politics over various issues has seen their nation taking a hammering.

I would expect Terim to be sacked probably after the Norway match if they do not qualify.

But the day belongs to Greece and thanks to all the players who were committed to the cause. My only regret...not placing a bet on them to win today.

What a win, cant wait for next summer!

greece is starting to show the world that euro 2004 wasnt a fluke and that they are one of the elite teams in europe.

even though their group wasnt relatively strong, its never easy playing 12 international games against european nations. Maybe our group didnt have a "superpower" like germany or france, but every team was competitive.

In group A, are poland, finland and serbia THAT much stronger than norway, turkey and bosnia? NO

& portugal had a lo of trouble holding their 2nd spot

A mark of a good team is not the way they can pull an upset against a top team, but the way that they can consistantly perform against even the smaller nations. Something teams like turkey and bosnia could not do. greece in my mind is inching closer to becoming a elite team in europe.

I would also like to see a youngster like ninis come in and add an energetic, creative element to our game, makng us less predictible and a more complete showcase

something i think our forwards could benefit from next summer

HELLAS OLEEEE

^^^

too right mate, I'll buy that man a doz of mythos any day!!!!!

i was going to make some unsavoury comments about the two turkish woman on that site but in fear of making this a race war i will keep them to my self......

GGGGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLL

see you at the euro08 greece!!!!

Alright guys, I know the victory over our rivals Turkey was something to get excited about, but as Irlandos have posted, there will be no racist or derogative remarks being made towards Turkey. We want to keep it professional and enjoy this victory with class. If it continues to happen, I will delete those posts. Thank you!

I don't know if I'm alone here, but, after yesterday's win, everything seems, well, different; my food tastes better, the sun seems to shine brighter, I feel happy and motivated. I did not realize it then, but our loss last March must have put me into a slight depression, which I didn't realize until today! I am very serious about this LOL.

Month after month of trash-talking on youtube, seeing 1-453, etc., etc., it must have really had an effect on me. LOL

I guess it is true, as the saying goes, he who laughs last laughs best!

MUUAHAHAHAHAHA

:D

I went through depression myself, I struggled to get back on my feet after that horrible defeat. The lesson I learned in life is to move on and understand that it's only a football game. We do sometimes tend to have too much of our national pride in our heads. ;)

The fun being made is justified after the 1-4 ... any rival fan would do that ...

but that is what makes footballing and sporting revenge so sweet

so dont use names and try not to be insulting in your excitement ...

Be sure that this 0-1 hurt 4 times more than the 1-4 as it came at a point when Turkey needed the win desperatelly!

and lets all enjoy a great win ...

but sont get out of line ...

Immagine you shout, laugh and tease the nice people in Ali Sami Yen who applauded our NT yesterday and tell them to look forward to our next clash ...

this is sport!

tease them to death ... dont insult them...

the ones who get out of line (from both camps... ) ignore them ...

that way this is a true win !

a WIN with capital letters ...

i just wanna add another dimension to this discussion in regards to the turkey greece game which is not related too much to the game. I went to turkey for 3 weeks in between my 2 mnth stay in greece this yr and I found instanbul to be a great. The people in turkey are fantastic me tropous ,,,,,and i will say this ,,,,mas pane emas ellines,,,,this bad hate has to stop,,to those compleksi who hold bad blood from the past. THe current turkish people i found were warm friendly and when i told them i was greek they were even more hospitable. My turkish mate who i grew up from 5th class in sydney took me into his family who treated me like a son. I wasnt sure what it would be like to go to a place like turkey but believe u me,,,these people are so muck like us it is not funny. Noone will ever change my opnion on this ,,,but there will always be some minority of idiots on either side trying to get politics into this but end of day it is a game. I would like turkey to make it with us in euro ,,,because of my fantastic exeperience i had there this summer and also because norway tried to play like dirty k.unts against us...,,,,i dont want some cold ,,,dry toast personalities like norway to make it instead no way..It was great the turks apllauded us at the end bravo tous

forza elladaa

thats the site who ever wanted to know

i dont recall "cheers" at the end, just boos and hisses

personally i dont care who qualifies with us

but i will say that i hope England does not qualify so their fans can shut the Fark up about us "fluking" the Euro04

i want to see croatia and russia through from that group.

Congratulations to you guys - I'm really, really pleased that Greece have qualified. Seems like a long time ago since that home defeat to Turkey.

Sorry that the chap above doesn't like England much, but if we don't qualify (doesn't look good) then I'll definitely be cheering for Greece!

Ella Elatha! Ella Anglika!

What a great win for our team!

This was the best I ever remember us play in a game since ... the 1-0 against Russia with that awesome Nikoloudis' goal way back then... B)

Too bad for Turkey. They are full of skill but yesterday their heads were cloudy. We played the perfect game in all respects, and our boys did not loose their nerve in the boiling hot stadium. Bravo to the Turkish fans who cheered our team in the end. They showed class in defeat. I hope they find their way and I look forward to many more games to come with them. The games against Turkey have a unique taste to them either in victory or defeat (I suspect for both nations).

Retuning to EURO 2008 as champions and on top of our table is the way to go, but what was more promising was the excellent performance.

I read somewhere that if we win our last three games (Turkey, Malta, Hungary) we can climb all the way to the 9th position in the FIFA table (up to September rankings here: http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/ranking/...ullranking.html ).

Does anyone know what the ranking significance is in terms of benefits for out team besides prestige? I would appreciate an answer.

Edit: Ok I found the answer to my own question from wikipedia:

The rankings are used by FIFA to rank the progression and current ability of the national football teams of its member nations. The data is used by FIFA for very few things, as FIFA says they are only to create "a reliable measure for comparing national A-teams".[2] However, one task they are used for is as part of the calculation to seed competitions. The rankings are also used to determine the winners of the two annual awards national teams receive on the basis of their performance in the rankings.

Archived