Phantis Forums

EURO 2008: Turkey - Greece

plato-ny

Galatasaray's stadium will be hosting the match. Its not the same that Greece played in last time. This holds 26,000 whereas the other held 33,000

Posted Image

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...

OK, somebody opened up the topic without my permission! :P :LOL:

OK everybody, time to discuss about our next match, a very important one of all. With Greece beating Bosnia and Turkey held to a draw to Moldova :o , we are in great position to qualify back-to-back European Championship apperance for the 1st time in our national teams history. A victory in Istanbul will punch a ticket to Euro 2008, it will be tough though.

We go there for 2 results,win or draw while they have no other option than play to win.If we are serious and we minimize our mistakes i can see us getting the 3 points in there. :gr: :gr: :gr:

This is the line-up that I think Otto will use against Turkey (remember: Patsa and Katsouranis are out due to yellow cards).

------------------------------------------Chalkias--------------------------------------------

Seitaridis-------------Antzas------------Kyriakos------------Dellas-------------Torosidis

-------------------Stelios---------------Basinas-------------Karagounis-------------------

--------------------------------Gekas------------------Charisteas--------------------------

I'm really hoping that Chalkias plays since I have absolutely no faith in Antonaki anymore (despite the Bremen performance). Charisteas is Otto's favourite so he'll definitely get the start over Samaras (to be fair, Charisteas did score and Samaras is just coming off suspension). If we can get a tie here, I think that would be an acceptable result. Would love to wrap up qualification here with a win but I'll take a tie and then a win against Malta next month.

There is absolutely NO doubt we are playing a 5-3-2. I would personally prefer a 4-5-1, or 5-4-1, but we don't have enough midfielders :(

But, I think Patzatzoglou will be out too ( or am I wrong?); so who will be the 5th defender; Antzas? What if someone needs to be replaced--we don't have enough Defenders either!! :blink:

I hope Rehhagel goes with a 4-5-1, as it flexible between defense and attack(i.e. turned into a 4-3-3 if we are losing).

Assuming no new players:

----------------------Chalkias-----------------------

Seitaridis------Kyrgiakos-----Dellas----Torosidis

-----------------------Basinas------------------------

-------Giannakopulos---------Karagounis---------

Samaras--------------------------------Amanatidis

-----------------------Gekas--------------------------

Amanatidis and Samaras can play the wings when they need to; the remainder of the game stifle Turkish attacks.[/b]

Otto Rehhagel might GO with a lineup something like this, a 5-4-1, the Turks might be getting the better chances in this match, Greece may have fewer chances to score, Otto may be looking for a good result such as a draw.

---------------------------------- Chalkias ----------------------------------

Seitaridis ------------- Kyrigakos -------------- Dellas ------------ Torosidis

--------------------------------- Antzas ---------------------------------------

-------- Giannakopoulos ------------ Karagounis -------------------------

------------- Samaras ----------------- Amanatidis -----------------------

------------------------------ Gekas ----------------------------------------

Final predition: Turkey 1:1 Greece

Let's remember that all the pressure was on Greece last time around when we were beaten solidly 4-1. We were at home around Independance Day. Now with Turkey's poor string of results (draws against Moldova and Malta) the pressure is on them and Terim to salvage their qualification. I would play more defensively and definitely the counter attack. Otto is a strategist and welcomes his chances of a draw and then a win over Malta to clinch qualification. Would not start Samaras as he is not even getting regular time with Manchester City. Gekas and Haristeas. As for the goalkeeping situation it makes no difference between Nikopolidis and Chalkias even though Antoni was a nightmare in the last match. We really need some more depth and look at some additional keepers soon. I don't care what anyone says playing in Istanbul is daunting at best.

Prediction: 0-0

Ta leme paidia!

yiorgos

i too cant wait for this one, it will be explosive as Turkey must win

i believe we can win as long as we dont make stupid mistakes

"revenge" is not the goal here, our EURO is

i reckon somthing like 1-2

also i understand we have NEVER beaten turkey so if we win it will be our first victory against them and back to back EUROS

Otto Rehhagel might GO with a lineup something like this, a 5-4-1, the Turks might be getting the better chances in this match, Greece may have fewer chances to score, Otto may be looking for a good result such as a draw.

---------------------------------- Chalkias ----------------------------------

Seitaridis ------------- Kyrigakos -------------- Dellas ------------ Torosidis

--------------------------------- Antzas ---------------------------------------

-------- Giannakopoulos ------------ Karagounis -------------------------

------------- Samaras ----------------- Amanatidis -----------------------

------------------------------ Gekas ----------------------------------------

Final predition: Turkey 1:1 Greece

Rehhagel and the players want to win in Turkey based on their comments after the Bosnia match. Greece and Turkey had 0-0 draws during the WC 2006 qual. campaign. Seems like the home team has more pressure and the road team has gotten the positive result, just like Turkey's 4-1 win in Greece. Since the same scores occured in 2006, the same scores will occur here.

Therefore, Greece will win 4-1 in Turkey.

i think we see the same formation as vs BH with Giorkas back in at RB, and Stelios in for Kats

we win 5-1 with Gekas, Charistea, AMANTIDIS, Stelios and Samaras

this is huge for Turkey - if they dont get 3 then I think they will be out since Norway has a favrable schedule and momentum

I think we ll lose,but at this point it doesn t matter.We need a win against Malta and x against Hungary.Turkey and Norway will play against each other.It doesn t matter if we will be 2nd at the end.An perasoume apo oti akousa tha eimaste epikefalois se Group

i believe the duo up front should be Gekas Amanitidis because they are both quick and it will help in the 5-3-2 formation on counter attacks. as far as the game goes...

greece and greek teams in general have not faired well in games with no pressure. when assured of qualifications or whatever, greek teams seem to lay back and try to play finesse football which is really not our forte.

i hope we stick to the game plan which is sound defensive football and hope that they make a few fatal mistakes...

my prediction..

1-1

I think we ll lose,but at this point it doesn t matter.We need a win against Malta and x against Hungary.Turkey and Norway will play against each other.It doesn t matter if we will be 2nd at the end.An perasoume apo oti akousa tha eimaste epikefalois se Group

Greece only needs 3 pts. to qualify, not 4.

i believe the duo up front should be Gekas Amanitidis because they are both quick and it will help in the 5-3-2 formation on counter attacks. as far as the game goes...

greece and greek teams in general have not faired well in games with no pressure. when assured of qualifications or whatever, greek teams seem to lay back and try to play finesse football which is really not our forte.

i hope we stick to the game plan which is sound defensive football and hope that they make a few fatal mistakes...

my prediction..

1-1

I hope that we play good defense but don't play a defensive style of game.

One thing I've noticed about Turkey (the few times I've watched them) is that they put a premium on players who have more offensive skills than pure defensive players. Their weakness is that they give up a number of goals and can't shut teams down who put pressure on them. If Greece sits back most of the game they are playing into their hands.

I think Greece should play a 4-3-3 and attempt to win the game 3-2 instead of sitting back and hoping for a 0-0 tie.

Greece has some good offensive players and it's time to use them. This is the perfect game as even if they lose it doesn't mean that much in the greater scheme of things.

This line-up would be good to play since Patstatzoglou and katsouranis will be missing the match.

------------------Chalkias---------------------------------

Seitaridis---Dellas---Kyrgiakos---Torosidis------

Karagounis-------Basinas-----Stelios-------------

---------Salpigidis---Gekas---Amanatidis---------

i too cant wait for this one, it will be explosive as Turkey must win

i believe we can win as long as we dont make stupid mistakes

"revenge" is not the goal here, our EURO is

i reckon somthing like 1-2

also i understand we have NEVER beaten turkey so if we win it will be our first victory against them and back to back EUROS

That's not true, we have beaten them 2 or 3 times and tied the last two before Euro 2008 qualifs.

One thing I've noticed about Turkey (the few times I've watched them) is that they put a premium on players who have more offensive skills than pure defensive players. Their weakness is that they give up a number of goals and can't shut teams down who put pressure on them. If Greece sits back most of the game they are playing into their hands.

I think Greece should play a 4-3-3 and attempt to win the game 3-2 instead of sitting back and hoping for a 0-0 tie.

I think it is the exact opposite. We need to stifle their attacks and get them on the counter! That is what they did to us last March; we had all our men up front trying to make it 2-1, and they caught us with our defenses down. They kept picking us off on the CA. That is why I feel 4-5-1, 5-3-2, or 5-4-1 are the best options.

I think Otto may go with a 4-3-3, but will tighten up to a 5-3-2 in case we lead by 2. He did that yesterday by bringing in Antzas for Gekas

Archived