Phantis Forums

EURO 2008: Greece - Bosnia-Herzegovina

dark_horse

I very much liked your spot aek66. I think Otto will rely mostly on experienced players but some of the ones you mentioned, if they improve, could help significantly.

in all the games, Greece will defend the first place. 3 points against Malta at home and I am sure we can get 1 away to hungary. The remaining 2 games are decisive.

I predict that Turkey will drop points at Moldova....

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

good recent news from England - Samaras and Stelios on form -

With Samaras out vs BH I think Stelios will play a vital role off the bench

I keep saying it but here goes again - we have more fire power up front than we have had in many many years

Gekas

Samaras

Amantidis

Charisteas

Lybe

Stelios

alll very dangerous - and all Otto will the best way to use them

good recent news from England - Samaras and Stelios on form -

With Samaras out vs BH I think Stelios will play a vital role off the bench

I keep saying it but here goes again - we have more fire power up front than we have had in many many years

Gekas

Samaras

Amantidis

Charisteas

Lybe

Stelios

alll very dangerous - and all Otto will the best way to use them

We do have plenty of fire-power, but, unfortunately, they are not being exploited properly.

For one, we have limited tactical options, because we lack the right players. No doubt you have all noticed we never have more than 4 midfielders called up. This is really insane. Our options are restricted primarily to 5-3-2 and 4-3-3, but even using those formations, we don't have effective players suited/adapted for them.

With 5-3-2, especially with the choice of players being used, that "firepower" is rendered useless, simply because we can't retain much possession in the midfield and wings. Not only that, a 5-3-2 is generally a defensive formation, and we still end up conceding an unusual amount of goals (Spain 3, Norway 2). That is very telling. It suggests to me that our defensive play is being effected by the lack of midfielders as well. Why foolishly improvise?

If we would have played something like a 4-2-3-1 with Norway, I guarantee, we would have left with a 1-0, or 2-0, score. The Norwegians kept us on our own side for the entire 2nd half; we were lucky they did not score again! Our options on the counter-attack are not fool proof, as evinced by Lymberopoulos' twice hitting the post.

Also, I have a suspicion Rehhagel will use Nikopolidis against Bosnia, since he is currently playing in the Champions league.

To conclude, I'm confident we will win the next match, but I'm going to be very nervous as usual; especially after our opponents are taking their 2oth corner during the 85th minute.

Bosnia are an upcoming team. I really don't want England to be in their group for the 2010 WC qualifiers.

They have dropped points against lower teams but I have proved to be great competitors against Norway and Turkey.

Regarding Greece, I know I shouldn't say this as an Englishman but you really should solve that GK issue. I've seen all highlights of the Greeks and quite frankly Nikopolidis is to blame for most goals. His most "notorious" performances were against Turkey (4 goals = 4 mistakes) and against Norway, with a decent keeper, Greece would have won.

3-1 Greece

I have to think that Bosnia are going to be pushing many players forward.

They have to win (not draw) the rest of their games to have a chance. Eventually this decision catches up to them and they lose by 2 but they will get a goal in the 2nd half.

Oh Please!! Bosnia will not beat us 3-1; especially in the state their team is in now. I think you are the same one who was saying Norway was going to beat us 3-0 lol Are you just saying all this to avoid jinxing the team?

Don't get me wrong, they are definitely going to push us hard, and there is a possiblity that we lose, but that is slim. Our players are in form, and we have some serious talent playing, in sharp contrast to the disaster of 2006.

Needless to say, if we do lose, qualification will be very, very, difficult.

I predict the following

------------------Nikopolidis--------------------

(Otto will probably use him b/c he is playing in the CL)

Seitaridis----Dellas----Kyrgiakos---Patsa------Torosidis

-----------Basinas--Katsouranis--Karagounis----------

(Giannakopoulos sub) (Amanatidis sub)

---------------------Sam----Gekas---------------------------

I foresee a defensive style 5-3-2 playing on the counter-attack, and, possibly, turning into a sort of 4-3-3 with Amanatidis if we are tied or losing.

Regarding Greece, I know I shouldn't say this as an Englishman but you really should solve that GK issue. I've seen all highlights of the Greeks and quite frankly Nikopolidis is to blame for most goals. His most "notorious" performances were against Turkey (4 goals = 4 mistakes) and against Norway, with a decent keeper, Greece would have won.

You are 100% correct! Nikopolidis costs us an awful lot, and the only reason we lost the Turkey game was because he was in goal. However he kept a clean sheet against Norway, in the 2nd game (2-2) we had Chalkias in goal. We need to look else where. Eleftheropoulos is the natural choice (plays for Siena in Serie A) but he slept with Antzas' wife a few years ago and is known to have a bad attitude so maybe Otto doesn't want to ruin the dressing room atmosphere.

What does everyone think about Kotsolis (Larissa's GK). He seems reliable and quite commanding.

Oh Please!! Bosnia will not beat us 3-1; especially in the state their team is in now. I think you are the same one who was saying Norway was going to beat us 3-0 lol Are you just saying all this to avoid jinxing the team?

Relax re, he is saying Greece will win 3-1.

I'm going for a slightly nervous Greece 1-0 Bosnia.

I'd love to see Otto play this:

-----------------------------------------Chalkias--------------------------------------------

----------------------Goumas----------Antzas------------Kyriakos------------------------

Seitaridis----------------------------------------------------------------------Spyropoulos

----------------------Torosidis---------Patsa-------------Katsouranis---------------------

-----------------------------Samaras------------Gekas-------------------------------------

I'd say the chances of seeing this though are about a million to one! This team would beat Bosnia 5-0 imo :D

I'd guess

--Nikopolidis-- (I think Otto guessed correctly that Chalkias would help vs Norway's size)

-Giorkas-Kyrgiakos-Dellas-Toro

Kats-Bas-Kara

Amantidis-Gekas

Isn't Samaras susprnded for this one

Even more detailed guess:

Stelios (Kara)

Lybe (Amantidsis)

and Pats (Basinas)

as subs

we win 2-0 Kara and Stelios :gr:

oops, my mistake! :whistle:

My apologies to Jarvis, I misinterpreted what he was writing... :la:

Is Samaras really out? Did he get a yellow before the Norway match?

And Gekas is still injured? What the heck kind of bruised knee is this? lol

Who else is out? Anyone from our midfield??

With 5 days remaining, this will no dobut be an important match, 3 points is all that Greece needs to get themselves in a better position before there tie with Turkey. Much as we are losing 2 scoring threats (Gekas, Samaras) due to injury and suspention, scoring will be a bit difficult, personally I wouldn't mind Greece winning 1-0, just as long as we win.

Ironic that I will actually be travelling from Sarajevo back to Italy on the 13th just in time to watch the game. Local press in Bosnia is faily quiet but it appears that the team is in turmoil over their up and down campaign. This could go either way, motivate them or deflate them.

Here's hoping for a 2-0 win for us.

Archived