Phantis Forums

EURO 2008: Greece - Bosnia-Herzegovina

dark_horse

I had a similar problem. I too did not see the match because the their was no link on sopcast :angry:

I live in the US, and put it on the Fox Soccer Channel in hope they would show the game; they were showing Albania v. Slovenia!!!! :blink:

The link finally worked, and I got to watch the second half with a huge lag. The rest was with ERA Spor on the radio....brings me back to the Euro 2004 when that was my ONLY means of experiencing ANY match (until we started to progress and all the bars began showing them in Astoria).

Anyway, ver satisfied with the win!! I am even more satisfied that Turkey tied with Moldova; they shot themselves in the foot. Someone actually predicted this in the beginning of the thread--GOOD CALL!!! :tup:

I don't see why so many people are complaining, everyone in my opion performed well. Kyrgiakos was trying to catch Ibesevic offside...Torosidis -- by a hair-- waited too long. But that was in stoppage time, so who cares??

NIkopolidis was OK, but he leaves too much of the net open...that is a major vulnerability

BRAVO PAIDIA!!! WE ARE GOING TO DEFEND OUR TITLE!!! :box: :box:

:gr: :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr:

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're probably right aek66. 

I don't think Otto will go with the 4-3-1-2 either.  We'll see Saturday, I was just guessing

well, your 4-3-3 scheme panned out. we won 3-2...though i'm still not convinced whether it's a 5-3-2 or 4-3-3. we still have too many offensive handicaps (lack of width on both sides & lack of left footed players) to feel as though the greece side will be quality game in - game out.

thinking about it, the current greece roster is perfect (only if spyropoulos plays as left defender) for a 4-3-1-2.

I like your idea of a 4-3-1-2. A few months ago, I posted what I thought might be a decent line-up to try in a friendly and as it turns out, it was a 4-3-1-2 formation:

----------------------------------------Chalkias----------------------------------------------

Seitaridis-------------------Kyriakos----------------Dellas-------------------Spyropoulos

--------------Patsatzoglou-------------Basinas---------------Karagounis------------------

--------------------------------------Katsouranis--------------------------------------------

------------------------Gekas------------------------------Samaras------------------------

I really think Katsouranis could excel in a more offensive role as he definitely has the ability to make offensive runs and give proper service to the forwards. As for Spyropoulos, I definitely think he should get a cap whenever the next friendly rolls around (knowing Otto, he'll probably start every game the second he transfers to Oly).

I knew the Greeks could pull off the victory, it was a good game and we are looking good boys. Our 3 strikers scored when they should, Basinas and Karagounis we're big in today's match. As promised, I'll open up the Turkey - Greece thread now that this match is over. :tup:

I didn't see today's game because of a NIGHTMARE! :( Are you ready for this?

Initially I was planning to watch the Greece game on the net at uni, but I was also pumped about Cyprus' game which I couldn't watch at uni. So I made the 4 hour journey to London to watch both games at a Greek bar (Greece started 15 mins after Cyprus finished so I could watch both). I got there 45 mins before the Cyprus game kicked off and had a couple of drinks while playing pool (billiards for our American-based friends here) and was discussing our chances.

To my horror, 10 mins before the Cyprus game kicked off, THE BAR'S NOVA BROKE!!! :xxx: So I jumped in the car drove to the local kafenio to watch the games, but they had closed early because the old men went on some trip, so I drove home (a 40 minute drive and listened to the Cyprus game on the radio). I also had 2 friends at the game so was getting constant telephone updates. I was gutted I missed such a great comeback but consoled myself with the fact that I would watch Greece. So I purchased the game from UEFA.Com AND IT WASN'T WORKING!!!!!!!!!!! :huh?:

I ended up following the goal updates on footienews.com before driving back to uni. So in summary I've driven a combined total of 10 hours today for the games and didn't see either of them... what's worse is that I have no idea where I can watch the Turkey game now. I'm having a panic attack about it as we speak!! :bangin:

As for the game, I'm pleased about the result but am disappointed that we conceded 2 goals. The first was unstoppable so no criticism there, but the 2nd... Kyriako is my fav defender, but don't turn your back when expecting a shot gamoto! Make yourself big & block it!!!

As for Turkey, I don't share Aekrossoponti's fears, I think Torosidi can cope at left back, but I would rather have him in centre mid and have a proper left back there! The danger of that though is that Spyropoulo has no experience and playing him against Turkey away is a "baptism of fire"! What if the pressure gets to the kid? Otto should have given Spyropoulou a chance earlier, but now we have a problem because Katsourani & Patsa are out. We really do have big selection problems imo. Having said that, I'd like to see a positive line up. Let's go for the win and get revenge! I'm not just saying this because it's Turkey, I'd be saying the same thing if it was Norway that beat us 1-4. If we draw Turkey in the finals of Euro 2008 what confidence will this team have? We are the Champions of Europe and it was us that gifted them that win with individual errors (mainly from Nikopolidi) so let's put them in their place by showing them who the boss is...

It's time for the Empire to Strike Back! :gr: :gr: :gr:

Weird.

I'm working in France at the moment and I saw a pub that is showing the Turkey v Greece game as it is at 10.45pm local time.

Aren't there more Greek bars in London? I'm sure they are more than a couple.

I'm not talking about the silly chains like "The Real Greek" or whatever...

I have been a professional strugglers in Paris :LOL: to get a pub that shows the England games (yes, they are rare!), I've found one so I'm ok now but I would advise you to call before going to London, just to make sure everything is working and that they are showing the game.

As England are playing at 4pm, you should find a decent pub that we will broadcast the Greece game.

With all due respect to Mr. Otto... He was the right person at the right time for Greece; we could not have done it without him. But, he should have retired 3 years ago.

I don't think he manages the team very well. Yes, we're almost in the next Euro, but I just don't see how we can do anything good over there. It was more than evident during the World Cup qualifiers that he was not managing well.

It's hard to criticize a great man who's done so much for the Greek national team, but....

Sumfonw!

I have been saying this for over 3 years!!!!!!

He WAS the right person at the time he was appointed and credit to EPO for having the guts and foresight to get their man, but since winning Euro he has done nothing to convince the football world that he can adapt his managerial methods to what the NT now faces.

I wanted him replaced, but I guess it's too late now...hopefully something positive happens and we're not humilated in future matches.

Kali epitixia stin Tourkia paidia!

Archived