Phantis Forums

EURO 2008: Greece - Bosnia-Herzegovina

dark_horse

With just one month remaining until Greece's next Euro 2008 qualifying match, they will host at OAKA Louis Spiro stadium in Athens to face a "must-win" vs. Bosnia-Herzegovina. The Greeks need to win to increase there lead over Norway to 5 points (Norway is off October 13). Greece needs to win to ensure a 2 point lead over Turkey (assuming they beat Moldova). Good choice by EPO to play in this stadium, IT'S ABOUT TIME! ! ! :gr: :gr: :gr:

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Greece should win if you look at both teams form in the group. bosnia have had 2 very poor performances in september, while greece got a very crucial point away to norway.

The last time these two met, greece had a very convincing 4-0 win in bosnia. However i feel this game will be closer, Bosnia arent as bad as people think.

I still think will be too strong and we will 2-0.

I think we need to fix our defense as it worried me when i was watching the norway game. we looked slow and shaky. I was also nervous on set pieces against norway. it looked like we didnt know how to defend corners or free kicks.

I think we need to fix our defense as it worried me when i was watching the norway game. we looked slow and shaky. I was also nervous on set pieces against norway. it looked like we didnt know how to defend corners or free kicks.

i don't blame the defence, when you've got a shaky keeper behind you thats not commanding and flaps at crosses it makes defending set pieces difficult

...The last time these two met, greece had a very convincing 4-0 win in bosnia...

We cannot go by that score! Bosnia were trailing us 1-0 until they had a man sent off and then the roof caved in on them with 3 very late goals.

We must be careful and take the game very seriously so we don't lose the gains we made with the point in Oslo!

This game is tricky because Bosnia is unpredictable. They threw away 11 points to the bottom feeders yet won in Norway and beat Turkey at home, 2 results that Greece could not achieve. Even though Bosnia is out, they could do damage...

This game is dangerous ala Ukraine where they sat back and are inability to finish...1 counter 0-1.

The lineup :

Chalkias

Giourkas,Antzas,Kyriakos,Torosidis

Patsa,Basinas,Katsouranis,Karagounis

Samaras,Gekas

Samaras cannot play against Bosnia due to his stupid yellow card. :tdown:

The same goes with Seitaridis. :nono:

This game is dangerous ala Ukraine where they sat back and are inability to finish...1 counter 0-1.

The lineup :

Chalkias

Giourkas,Antzas,Kyriakos,Torosidis

Patsa,Basinas,Katsouranis,Karagounis

Samaras,Gekas

Samaras cannot play against Bosnia due to his stupid yellow card. :tdown:

The same goes with Seitaridis. :nono:

Samaras must e a bird brain withthat cheap yellow then,no way to get a mangers cinfiidence in you,especially when you see the palyer in front of you stink up the first half.

New Lineup

Chalkias

Patsa Antzas Kyriakos Fyssas

Torosidis Basinas Katsouranis Karagounis

Lybe,Gekas

I have more faith in Fyssas playing a solid game and Torosidis being a physical force on his natural side ,than watching Salpi do nothing over and over.Lybe's fitness is a question, so lets hope he strikes early!

Watched Ele last nite , he looked very confident on corner and set pieces,Wouldn't kill us if OTTO took a look.

I think we see:

Chalkias

Patsa-Dellas-Antzas-Kyrgiakos-Toro

Kara-Basinas-Kats

Charisteas-Gekas

-although I'm not sure what Otto is doing with his keepers - I don't think he has decided

Vyntra might stat at RB, and if I think about it why wouldnt Toro move over to the right side, his natural side, then Patsa,Fyssas orSpyropoulos should move over to the left - but in reality I think Otto likes Toro on the left, and why not????? We have played well with him there

And Charisteas???????????????

I think that Otto was ready to start Samaras since he has played well, holds well and dominated vs BH last time around

I think Lybe is much better off as a sub - he is amazing in that role

Salpigidis has been mediocre for the ethniki

Amanatidis is an option, especially as a LM in a 5-4-1

Then there is Stelios, he may be in shape by then and Otto may use him in a 5-4-1

I think BH is done, we will be tight and nervous but will prevail

2-1

:gr: :gr: :gr:

You are right, Greece got to take them seriously or we could be dropping points.

yes I hope they will make damage :D

...in football everything is possible you cant predict anything

Norway also has to go to Bosnia ..and Turkey has to play them on the last game :unsure:

This group is a strong group cause if you look to Malta,Moldova,Hungary or Bosnia you can see young talented players and a team-game -I mean they fight in every inch on the ground and it is so hard to shot a goal against a team who is defending with 9 men.

The hungarians defended their goal with 10 men ..in the front just one men waiting for a ball--like Malta, Malta shot the goal twice with this tactics.

Turkey can drop points like Greece can drop it against Hungary and Norway in Malta and in Bosnia.

So Turkey must beat the two teams who are playing like a real football team : Greece and Norway. Something says me that we will drop points in Moldova and against Bosnia but we will beat Norway and Greece cause especially Greece is a team who is playing also a lot of offensive game so they also will give lacks in their defense.

On another note Giannakopoulos informed Otto that he is going to be ready to play against Bosnia and Turkey since he is getting back into form:

http://www.sportaction.gr/document.php?cat...cument_id=79541

back into form ? he hasn't played all season and is unlikely to get a game for bolton before the international matches. i'm a big fan of stelio but his lack of first team football is a problem

On another note Giannakopoulos informed Otto that he is going to be ready to play against Bosnia and Turkey since he is getting back into form:

http://www.sportaction.gr/document.php?cat...cument_id=79541

back into form ? he hasn't played all season and is unlikely to get a game for bolton before the international matches. i'm a big fan of stelio but his lack of first team football is a problem
He didn't say he's returned to form, but he's returned to "full rhythm", i.e. fitness.

His lack of first team football is a problem but he can still make a huge contribution off the bench.

no chance at all.

expect this:

Greece squad for norway game

Goalkeepers: Antonios Nikopolidis (Olympiacos CFP), Konstantinos Chalkias (Aris Thessaloniki FC).

Defenders: Giourkas Seitaridis (Club Atletico de Madrid), Sotirios Kyrgiakos (Eintracht Frankfurt), Traianos Dellas (AEK Athens FC), Nikolaos Spyropoulos (Panionios GS), Loukas Vintra (Panathinaikos FC), Ioannis Goumas (Panathinaikos FC), Vassilios Torosidis (Olympiacos CFP), Paraskevas Antzas (Olympiacos CFP), Christos Patsatzoglou (Olympiacos CFP).

Midfielders: Angelos Basinas (RCD Mallorca), Georgios Karagounis (Panathinaikos FC), Alexandros Tziolis (Panathinaikos FC), Konstantinos Katsouranis (SL Benfica).

Forwards: Dimitrios Salpingidis (Panathinaikos FC), Nikolaos Lyberopoulos (AEK Athens FC), Theofanis Gekas (Bayer 04 Leverkusen), Georgios Samaras (Manchester City FC), Ioannis Amanatidis (Eintracht Frankfurt)

+Charisteas, Kapsis, and Stelios.

otto has become very predictable since the euro.

Archived