Phantis Forums
Ziaka

Toumba Stadium

Was talking to an uncle earlier today and he kept insisting that there was some sort of announcement made by Savvidis in the past few days that he's contracted (another?) company to do a preliminary investigation around Toumba to see if they can detect any potential archaeological finds under the stadium (which would make sinking the pitch and widespread construction effectively impossible). I haven't been able to find any actual articles about this, so I don't know if there's any truth behind it - anyone hear any rumors?

I think every time the team is not doing good, talk of new Toumba surfaces as a smoke screen.

22 minutes ago, Blackhawk said:

I think every time the team is not doing good, talk of new Toumba surfaces as a smoke screen.

Lol.   Kinda like the rich Chinese buying PAO.   

InPAOK keeps reporting that Savvidis is nearing a decision/announcement. Now to see if anything happens.

PAE PAOK announced that for seasons 2018-2019 and 2019-2020, the team will use Kaftanzoglio Stadium for its games. Savvidis will pay the government to make improvements to that stadium. 

Starting Monday the ball gets rolling on re-building Toumba Stadium.

Today's reports say that if everything goes as planned, construction will be completed in 2020, and PAOK will play season 2020-2021 in new Toumba. Preliminary reports say that the capacity will be 35,600 and it will cost 60 mil Euro to build. 

Apparently the go-ahead was decided today during a meeting between Ivan Savvidis and the erasitexni PAOK president Katsaris. Erasitexnis PAOK owns Toumba and 80% of the land. The other 20% belongs to Ministry of Defense. Apparently there is a deal between PAOK and the Ministry of Defense for that portion of the land.

I can't wait to see the plans. Let us all pray to Zeus that we won't find an ancient agora under the stadium.

• Haha 1

Those are great news, but why 60 million only? I would really love for us to have the best stadium in Greece. From my understanding is that it will be on the same level as Karaiskaki and Agia Sofia. Not to sound pessimistic, I just feel that Savvidis should invest more money to that project and make it his biggest of all!

Being a pessimist PAOK supporter, I'm still finding it hard to believe this could even be a possibility but it sounds like it could really happen.  I saw the pics on sport24.gr and they look pretty cool.  Ante na doume.

As far as the stadium is concerned, who will it belong to and who is paying for it ?

It will belong to erasitexni PAOK. Apparently Savvidis will finance it, but I am sure there will be some kind of leasing agreement (50 years?)

So apparently this stadium isn't going to be an extensive remodeling - the entirety of Toumba will be demolished and then rebuilt. Seems that 13mm of the 60mm cost will be taken up by an underground parking facility (so that our players' cars don't get trashed, I'd assume!).

Let's hope there are many cameras included there so that we can identify and hand over to the cops every hooligan who costs us tens of thousands of euros in fines. Wishful thinking, I know.

The one thing I'm most unsure of - are those renders that are floating around, the actual plans? From what I recall, that was just a guesstimate that was provided by the club.

14 hours ago, pash said:

So apparently this stadium isn't going to be an extensive remodeling - the entirety of Toumba will be demolished and then rebuilt. Seems that 13mm of the 60mm cost will be taken up by an underground parking facility (so that our players' cars don't get trashed, I'd assume!).

Let's hope there are many cameras included there so that we can identify and hand over to the cops every hooligan who costs us tens of thousands of euros in fines. Wishful thinking, I know.

The one thing I'm most unsure of - are those renders that are floating around, the actual plans? From what I recall, that was just a guesstimate that was provided by the club.

excavation is generally the most expensive portion of any construction

Apparently we prepared paperwork to lease Kaftanzoglio for 2+1 year starting with 2018-2019 season. Let's see if the management of Kaftanzoglio and the grannies oppose this.

On 12/10/2017 at 12:07 AM, pash said:

I really hope they find Alexander's spoon

I have a great idea....Name the new stadium,  ALEXANDER THE GREEK!!!  Would instantly turn PAOK into a winner.

• Haha 1

According to news reports today, a PAOK contingent met with Kaftanzoglio management to inspect the stadium. It is reported that PAOK will sign a contract in May of 2018 to use Kaftanzoglio for 2 years with 1 year option in case construction of New Toumba is delayed. PAOK will pay for certain upgrades to the stadium (new dressing rooms, VIP boxes, etc.). Other teams (Iraklis, Aris, Panserraikos) can use the stadium at the same time, but will not be able to use the facilities at the stadium that were upgraded and paid for by PAOK.

I only skimmed an article about it earlier today, did that include office space? Just wondering if Iraklis is already using that area (assuming it exists in this stadium).

I think there was a mention of office space construction as well. As far as I know Iraklis does not have any office space at the stadium. And if they did, the most likely did not pay the rent for it.

My take away: thank goodness Iraklis' right to use the stadium without paying will not be infringed upon.

7 hours ago, Megas said:

hurry up savidis and build the stadium so the ethniki have somewhere better to play than kautazoglou.

I don't think the NT team will ever consider playing there.  The fans spoiled that a long time ago.

Agreed. If anything, the events over the past few matches have convinced them that partisan stadiums are a bad way to go, since Greeks are all goddamned animals.

1 hour ago, pash said:

Agreed. If anything, the events over the past few matches have convinced them that partisan stadiums are a bad way to go, since Greeks are all goddamned animals.

Don't be so hard on yourself pash.  Remember Greece is surrounded by Animals.  Just inside former Yugoslavia, Albania,  Bosnian, I don't know about the new Macedonian, Turkey.  Considering all that s%$#! around you....we're doing good.

if this is the case I don't get why the government didn't build a mutual stadium somewhere or pumped more money in pankritio and made it a bit smaller but with retractable seating.

Well technically Kaftanzoglio IS that neutral ground. Same with OAKA I guess (even if both locations do have permanent tenants). Honestly, I think publicly-financed stadium construction is a horrible idea even in a country with a healthy economy - in Greece, I could only imagine the graft that would result if the government would start building stadiums again.