Phantis Forums

Toumba Stadium

Ziaka

1 hour ago, Bananas said:

You know what would make sense ?  Aris, Iraklis and PAOK having stadium that fit say, 15000 fans, and having 1 big stadium in Thessaloniki that fits say 60,000 for the big derbies and European games that is shared by all 3.  But that would make sense ...

you have lived in Australia too long..

that does not make any sense in european football..

I don't see how it doesn't make sense.  PAOK's average for most games is ~10,000.  But if we're playing Olympiakos or a Dortmund, we could easily get 60,000.  But we'd only need such a stadium maybe half a dozen times a year.  All that lost revenue now is ... lost.  And instead of having to rebuild a new Toumba at 100 million (or whatever the figure is) you can build one a lot cheaper.

On 23/12/2016 at 4:34 PM, Bananas said:

I don't see how it doesn't make sense.  PAOK's average for most games is ~10,000.  But if we're playing Olympiakos or a Dortmund, we could easily get 60,000.  But we'd only need such a stadium maybe half a dozen times a year.  All that lost revenue now is ... lost.  And instead of having to rebuild a new Toumba at 100 million (or whatever the figure is) you can build one a lot cheaper.

currently ALL 3 Thessaloniki clubs play in stadiums that hold more than 15k...

reducing capacity...is dangerous and shortsighted....I subscribe to the 'build it and they will come theory'..

given this is greece..it's more a case of 'build it and hopefully one day they will come and one day things will be better hopefully'.

The danger with reducing capacity is that you close the opportunity for many fans to to attend...As much as PAO fans think playing at Leoforo is great....you eventually 'condition' a large number of fans 'not to attend'.....and they simply just stay at home..week after week..season a after season...

sure PAOK could get 60k...for derbies and big Euro games....but building such a stadium for all 3 teams could only be built by the state...that just won't happen unless we host a Euro or WC....And even then..to only use it 5 times a year would be a shame..and a waste.......It would default into the home stadium of either PAOK or Aris..

@jvc I agree.  It's all just kafeneio talk but we're just passing the time.

@RED SHERIFF I agree there is zero chance the state would ever build something, I was just talking about an ideal world.  The last thing I want is games like in the Serie A where they play in huge stadiums but even with 15K or 20K fans the atmosphere seems lifeless.  End of the day, if PAOK was to build a new stadium, 25K to 30K is the right number.

Ο κόσμος δεν πηγαίνει τελευταία στο γήπεδο. Αν το ποδόσφαιρο ήταν πιο ενδιαφέρον, πιο καθαρό και με περισσότερες καλές ομάδες τότε θεωρητικά θα μπορούσαμε να κάνουμε μεγάλο γήπεδο. Προς το παρόν 8.000-10.000 πηγαίνουν στο γήπεδο και άλλοι 200.000 βλέπουν τα ματς στις καφετέριες και στα σπίτια τους.

Δεν έχω ακούσει φίλε. Απλά μου φαίνεται πολύ παράξενο η ΑΕΚ που έχει περισσότερο κόσμο να έχει γήπεδο 30.000 και ο ΠΑΟΚ με λιγότερο κόσμο να έχει 40.000.

12 hours ago, OlympicHellas said:

The 60K ground sharing idea mentioned above signals that bananas has finally gone bananas, ridiculous idea...

Not ground sharing.  But rather an "OAKA" type stadium for Thessaloniki, to be used as and if required.  Each team would still have their own stadium that they would use for all their games except for the very biggest derbies or European games.  The stadium would be the property of the country just like OAKA and could be used for things other than just football.  Anyway, pipe dreams considering the state of the country.

yeah...but OAKA is NOT used for 'derbies' or 'European' games....

Clubs want to use their own stadiums even for those big matches....   I suspect if PAO ever play in UCL group stages..UEFA will push for OAKA..PAO will push to play at Leoforo.

That's why good proper stadiums are required by ALL clubs with any aspirations or who want to attract a strong supporter base.

Notwithstanding this.....I support an OAKA type venue for Thessaloniki.....and any future Euro bid would require one.

the 10 year turnaround has a lot to do with  the general economy more than the GSL...

The GSL like all in Greece is suffering  because of the way Greek society and business in general operates.

yes....there will be a turnaround in Greek economy and GSL...and yes it may take 10 years..

but a turnaround in Greek mentality and sociopolitical landscape may take 100 years.

3 hours ago, RED SHERIFF said:

yeah...but OAKA is NOT used for 'derbies' or 'European' games....

It's not, but it should be.  If by some miracle PAO made it the CL and played say a Juve or Real, it makes no sense to play it at their current stadium.  This whole sub-topic is about hypotheticals.  The reality is nothing will happen.

• 8 months later...

Was talking to an uncle earlier today and he kept insisting that there was some sort of announcement made by Savvidis in the past few days that he's contracted (another?) company to do a preliminary investigation around Toumba to see if they can detect any potential archaeological finds under the stadium (which would make sinking the pitch and widespread construction effectively impossible). I haven't been able to find any actual articles about this, so I don't know if there's any truth behind it - anyone hear any rumors?

• 1 month later...

PAE PAOK announced that for seasons 2018-2019 and 2019-2020, the team will use Kaftanzoglio Stadium for its games. Savvidis will pay the government to make improvements to that stadium. 

Starting Monday the ball gets rolling on re-building Toumba Stadium.

Today's reports say that if everything goes as planned, construction will be completed in 2020, and PAOK will play season 2020-2021 in new Toumba. Preliminary reports say that the capacity will be 35,600 and it will cost 60 mil Euro to build. 

Apparently the go-ahead was decided today during a meeting between Ivan Savvidis and the erasitexni PAOK president Katsaris. Erasitexnis PAOK owns Toumba and 80% of the land. The other 20% belongs to Ministry of Defense. Apparently there is a deal between PAOK and the Ministry of Defense for that portion of the land.

Those are great news, but why 60 million only? I would really love for us to have the best stadium in Greece. From my understanding is that it will be on the same level as Karaiskaki and Agia Sofia. Not to sound pessimistic, I just feel that Savvidis should invest more money to that project and make it his biggest of all!

Being a pessimist PAOK supporter, I'm still finding it hard to believe this could even be a possibility but it sounds like it could really happen.  I saw the pics on sport24.gr and they look pretty cool.  Ante na doume.

As far as the stadium is concerned, who will it belong to and who is paying for it ?

So apparently this stadium isn't going to be an extensive remodeling - the entirety of Toumba will be demolished and then rebuilt. Seems that 13mm of the 60mm cost will be taken up by an underground parking facility (so that our players' cars don't get trashed, I'd assume!).

Let's hope there are many cameras included there so that we can identify and hand over to the cops every hooligan who costs us tens of thousands of euros in fines. Wishful thinking, I know.

The one thing I'm most unsure of - are those renders that are floating around, the actual plans? From what I recall, that was just a guesstimate that was provided by the club.

14 hours ago, pash said:

So apparently this stadium isn't going to be an extensive remodeling - the entirety of Toumba will be demolished and then rebuilt. Seems that 13mm of the 60mm cost will be taken up by an underground parking facility (so that our players' cars don't get trashed, I'd assume!).

Let's hope there are many cameras included there so that we can identify and hand over to the cops every hooligan who costs us tens of thousands of euros in fines. Wishful thinking, I know.

The one thing I'm most unsure of - are those renders that are floating around, the actual plans? From what I recall, that was just a guesstimate that was provided by the club.

excavation is generally the most expensive portion of any construction