Phantis Forums

Fernando Santos

george21

I think this is a great move for PAOK. Santos may not be a winning coach to get you a championship but for a team in PAOK's situation that does not have a great deal to work with he is the best choice.

Hopefully, he will be given the chance to make the moves he needs to bring the team to a strong point.

Parasxos was not the choice of Zagorakis but he was there and it would have been foolish of him to fire him before the start of the season. The players are physically fit and merely need to be given the proper direction.

Good luck to Santos

Santos takes over his coaching dueties on Thursday, and will coach PAOK at the AEK tournament this weekend. He will sign a 3-year deal with the team.

I have mixed feelings about this move. On one hand I think Santos is a better coach than Parashos, but than I don't like the way this was played by Zagorakis. He should have let Parashos go at the begining of the season. This is no way to treat a decent person (and a PAOKtsi).

Hope this move will work out for PAOK.

Santos takes over his coaching dueties on Thursday, and will coach PAOK at the AEK tournament this weekend. He will sign a 3-year deal with the team.

I have mixed feelings about this move. On one hand I think Santos is a better coach than Parashos, but than I don't like the way this was played by Zagorakis. He should have let Parashos go at the begining of the season. This is no way to treat a decent person (and a PAOKtsi).

Hope this move will work out for PAOK.

Ziaka, I understand your point...but under the circumstances I think he had no choice. You can't change a coach during training and Zagorakis presence on the team was questionable until the end of July.

If he had told Parasxos that he would be fired before the start he wouldn't have waited around. Even though it may be a bad way to treat a person it was the best move as far as the team is concerned.

Good player does not mean good manager..... And Im talking about Zagorakis.....

why do this Santos thing now????? thats wasting a whole preseason's efforts and time he could have been acheiving something with the teams progress....he may as well have done it in the summer, its better for PAOK, and its more professional and curtious towards Parasxos (that he may search another club)

well Zagorakis also didnt look into maintaining the Toumpa for the ethniki..... :rolleyes:

PAOK fans love him, but I really cant see this as a good start as a manager which is what you guys needed....

no city that was a Terrible move...... YOU CAN SWITCH COACH in preseason if necesary- thats the whole point is to get him working ASAP - the more he can be with the players the more he can build his system and do his job

It is worse now because players develeopment (preseason) has been wasted learning and adapting to a new coach that was not even going to be around, and was unprofessional.

PAOK gained nothing by waiting till after the first game to replace a coach....they just lost a whole lot of opportunity time that he could have been training with them on the preseason.

You are right that being a good player does not guarantee somebody to be a good manager. However, in this case the difference between the Zagorakis management team, and the PAOK managements of the past 10 years is like day and night.

Zago has surrounded himself with people that know how to run a business, and they have done more to help the team in the last 2 months than Vezyrtzis/Goumenos have done combined in the last 7 years.

Everybody makes mistakes, and I think the Parashos move was a mistake in my opinion.

As for the Toumba pitch, you can't really blame Zagorakis for this. The damage to the field was done when Vezyrtzis was still running the show during the heatwave and when the sprinkling system malfunctioned. The new management had their hands tied, because there were games scheduled at Toumba, including UEFA Women's Champions League games. The problem lies directly with EPO that should have moved the game to Kaftanzoglio.

http://www.sportime.gr/football_inside.asp...rticle_id=58370

bits of an interview parashos gave. I agree with Ziaka this is no way to treat a PAOKTZI. I don't think this was the right move and I feel sorry for him. Santos signed a three year deal, lets see if he stays that long. I don't know why PAOK sign coaches on three year deals when we sack them after 1 game, and then end up having to pay them out.

Sacking coaches is widespread in every league. Santos was fired from Benfica after the first game. Its business and the owners are looking out for the team. Its not a nice thing to do but it happens and thats what coaches should expect.

Sollied pretty much found out he was out of the picture from the media when he was on Holiday. Get over it, PAOK will benefit from this move.

Cant really comment about the former PAOK coach or about his abilities but I guess you are all forgeting that Santos already coached AEK and Panathinaikos so his knowledge about greek football is not small. He probably knows most of Paok players charachteristics so some of the work is done. It would be very strange if PAOKs board signed someone with absolutely no knowledge about the squad this late.

fcportoultra, yes it is good that Santos knows the Greek reality. This will help. also it is helpful that he coached some of the PAOK players in the past (Konstantinidis, Lakis). Let's not forget that the only reason Santos came to PAOK is Zagorakis, who was a player of his at AEK.

Reports are that Santos will cost PAOK 750,000 Euro per year, which includes salaries for the people that he will bring with him.

I think Parashos got a raw deal and I don't like how Zagorakis handled the situation mostly because he knew what he had in Parashos as he played for him last year. As a result, he should have made a move in August. Secondly, our summer transfers were garbage and to spend that kind of money on Santos is a waste we should have made a quality signing to get fans excited instead.

• 1 month later...

Archived