Phantis Forums

UEFA Cup draw: Blackburn

Ziaka

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Larissa claim Blackburn scalp

Despite a valiant comeback by their English Premier League opponents, Larissa FC held on for a memorable aggregate win to reach the UEFA Cup group stage at the expense of Blackburn Rovers FC.

Cleyton opener

Cleyton's early goal, which gave the Greek visitors a 3-0 aggregate lead, was cancelled out by Matt Derbyshire's retaken penalty and a Stephen Warnock strike but, with two further goals required in the second half, Blackburn had given themselves too much to do.

Larissa chances

Mark Hughes's side had been hoping to get off to a good start in order to make inroads into their two-goal first-leg deficit but they found themselves another goal worse off after 17 minutes when Cleyton controlled Panagiotis Katsiaros's cross and rifled in the opener from eleven metres.

Alexandrou chance

Rovers started sluggishly and Cleyton could have doubled his tally when he fired just wide, but the home side finally mustered an effort on goal when Christopher Samba headed over on 27 minutes. David Dunn and Derbyshire both squandered chances before the visitors threatened again, this time through Nektarios Alexandrou, whose shot deflected wide.

Derbyshire penalty

Blackburn pulled a goal back just before half-time when goalkeeper Stefanos Kotsolis brought down Dunn in the penalty area and, although the Larissa custodian saved Derbyshire's initial effort, he was adjudged to have advanced from his line and the England Under-21 forward made no mistake second time around.

Warnock goal

Six minutes after the break Warnock gave Rovers hope when he latched on to David Bentley's pass and dispatched it from distance. Prompted by the excellent Bentley the hosts streamed forward in search of two more goals, Derbyshire narrowly missing Warnock's centre and Samba heading over again. Those efforts were in vain, though, as the Greek side held on for a memorable aggregate win.

Source.

Larissa explain it all

Georgios Donis said "heart and will prevailed" after Larissa FC joined four other Greek sides in the group stage despite a 2-1 defeat at Blackburn Rovers FC.

Donis delighted

Donis, who played for Blackburn in the mid-1990s, led his side to a 2-0 win in the home leg in Volos and then watched Cleyton score a crucial away goal at Ewood Park to demoralise the English Premier League side. Blackburn went on to win the game but lost the tie. "Our enthusiasm, heart and will prevailed," Donis said. "Sometimes these ingredients can lead you past great obstacles. I want to thank my players and our fans who made the trip to England and helped us. We are creating a new generation of fans who get to experience triumphs rather than just hearing about past glories from their fathers."

Prestigious wins

Back in 1988, Larissa became the only side from outside Athens and Thessalonika ever to win the Greek league, but they were relegated in 1996 and went through several years of financial and administrative turmoil before Donis led them back into the top division in 2005. They then beat Panathinaikos FC 2-1 in last season's Greek Cup final but arguably pulled off a bigger shock in beating Blackburn. As Donis said: "The prestige of the loser gives more honour to the winner."

Cleyton assessment

Having also scored in the first leg, Brazilian Cleyton was thrilled to have inflicted further damage on Mark Hughes' side in Lancashire. "It's the most important goal of my career so far," he said. "I hope that more will come in the future. We worked hard, we believed in ourselves, we studied our opponents and we achieved a hard-fought but deserving qualification."

Greek contingent

While celebrations were kicking off in earnest back in Larissa, Konstantinos Piladakis - who took over as the club's president back in 2004 - explained his side's unique appeal. "The secret is that we remain down to earth," he said. "It's important that all five Greek teams qualified to the group stage. We still have a lot to show and I'm very proud of our side." They now join Panathinaikos, Aris Thessaloniki FC, Panionios NFC and AEK Athens FC in Tuesday's group stage draw.

Source.

HAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!

POUTSA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HOW DO YOU LIKE THAT YOU CUNTS??!!!!!!!!  :gr:  :gr: :gr:  :gr:

4/4!!!!!!!!!!!

mila ligo kalytera re!
Sorry re 2nd Mouse, I was over excited in the heat of the moment. I had about 3 strokes and a brain anurism during the game so when the final whistle went I released all the pent up nerves... sorry

Archived