Phantis Forums

New Greek Channels to Canada

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey OFHMAN,

Welcome to the forum! :gr:

First, let me say that your subject title is a little misleading, when I first read it I thought that it was talking about new channels launching in Canada. You got me excited... until I read the message and discovered you were asking a question.

I am very interested in this topic, a resident expert you could say so I will give you the quick summary of the situation in Canada invloving Greek channels.

Currently there are two channels on the air- OTN 1 (ANT1 Satellite) and OTN 2 (ERT World). They are not of very good quality IMO. I have had them in the past and was not impressed. The owners are not investing very much in the channels and it shows. They have very little original programming and what they have is shall we say crap. :tdown:

Now as for new channels, I have been calling and emailing various companies for over a year now to see if anyone is looking to launch any new ones and I have had no success whatsover. Due to the stupid laws here in Canada, you can thank the CRTC for that, the only way you are going to see any new channels is if some Canadian company launches another channel. There are currently 4 different companies that have licenses for Greek channels but thus far no one has launched anything and I see no sign of this changing any time soon. Here are the companies:

Odyssey Television Network- 2 channels on the air, licenses for 2 more channels

Ethnic Channels Group- licenses for 2 channels

Unknown company- licenses for 2 channels

Patricia Parcharides- licenses for 3 channels (just got approval yesterday)

So to sum it up, presently the situation looks grim, we have the 2 channels from OTN and that is about it. There was some indication from Ethnic Channls Group that they may launch MEGA but they have been saying that for the past year and still have not launched anything.

I suggest if you are interested, that you contact any or all of the above companies and ask them what their plans are and whether they plan on launching anything.

As far as Greek channels go, it sucks to be Canadian. :(

Take care file

File, I apologize if i excited you , believe me i have both channels what my problem is being forced to pay for otn 1 I mean a show like o kanada simera zonta 100 tis 100 orthodoxi foni as Greeks shouldn't we be embarrassed. I think every Greek person who has it should cancel their subscription maybe then they will wake up. I don't mind watching local Greek shows but as long as it tastefully. I don't understand in the USA the so called "meting pot" country they have 6 Greek almost no local programming. Here in Canada land of multiculturalism we have to put so many restrictions. Now my parents want to get direct tv because they have heard of all the good channels . I told them good luck

Its nice to see that I am not the only one who is not impressed by these channels, not to mentioned that the people that own them are very rude! <_< I think that OTN is operated on a shoestring budget, they don't even show as much local content as they supposed according to the license that the CRTC gave them. But the CRTC being the joke it is, doesn't enforce its own rules and did not do anything to Odyssey.

I agree that everyone should cancel their subscription, $$ talks and that is the only thing that will get through to them loud and clear. Unfortunately however, not very many people would cancel because their is no alternative and also most older people can't do without their Greek TV. The only alternative would be grey market and a subscription to DirecTV but most aren't willing to go that route either because of cost or other reasons. It seems to me that the only way you are going to be able to see MEGA, Alpha and Alter in Canada is through a subscription to DirecTV.

Not sure where you are from, but in Ontario take a look at Omni.1 and the Greek show they produce which airs every Sunday afternoon. The quality of this 1 hour program is 100 times better than both Odyssey channels combined. :LOL:

The channels in the US are direct from Greece that is why they have no local content. Also, the rules are different there, not as restrictive as in Canada.

I contacted Odyssey TV and apparently they are looking to bring MEGA Cosmos to Canada?! The person with whom I spoke (first time speaking with someone who was not rude- I am still in shock because these people aren't usually friendly :LOL:) did not know much info but they told me to call back tomorrow and speak with the owner.

If I get any real info from Mr. Maniatakos tomorrow, I will post. I was told the same thing about MEGA from Ethnic Channels Group, must be something going on behind the scenes here. How can two companies be claiming to launch the same channel?! ;)

DKSat any news for us Canucks on this situation, will we ever see MEGA, Alpha or Alter up here??

:gr:

Good luck in trying to get a straight answer from anyone. I mean the crtc appproved 7 greek channels lets say theoretically we get alpha mega alter what other channels are we going to get ?.

Look at the application from patricia Parcharides what kind of channels is she bringing in ?

Hellenic TV 1= The applicant states that the programming will target the Greek speaking community, specifically, youth and children = Dora the explorer in greek? jetix in greek

Hellenic TV 2=The applicant states that the programming will target the Greek speaking community, specifically, an older age group.= finos film network.

I wrote a while back to ECG this is what he had to say

Hi Sir,

I would like to know when will your greek channels be available?

Unfortunately, that depends on cable provider and we don

OFHMAN,

I made some calls, I actually got some info from Odyssey which is shocking. The trick I beleive is to speak English, not Greek to these guys. Maniatakos' wife answered the phone, she wouldn't let me talk with him so I asked her the questions. Apparently they are looking to launch a third channel but she wouldn't say which one or when, they are aiming for this fall. I asked about MEGA and she said that the rights fees are too high so if they were to get this channel, they would have to charge more and people won't pay that much for it?! ;) Translation: Globestar (who own the rights) are asking for too much and they don't want to pay or don't have the money to pay.

I am assuming the channel they are looking to launch might be Alpha Sat, which according to DKSat, the rights are held by someone else not Globestar. It could also be one of the ANT1 clones but who would subscribe to those?!

I contacted Globestar and spoke with my contact there and he told me that MEGA is coming soon and will be available through Ethnic Channels Group. They are close to an agreement but he couldn't say specifically when it would launch. Its possible they might also launch Alter Globe since they have licenses for 2 channels but no word on that at this point. Has anyone else called Globestar to ask about MEGA, because every time I have called before they kept telling me the same thing- we are working on it. This is the first time I have been told that for sure it is launching soon. I am wondering if people have been calling and driving them crazy that is why they are actually putting in an effort to get this channel into Canada.

I have not been able to get a hold of anyone at ECG, I will call again and see what they have to say. I have gotten the same response as you OFHMAN, they won't tell you anything specific which is annoying.

I hope ECG will do a better job than OTN, I agree with you about the guy that does the news- what the heck is that about?! :huh: Couldn't they find someone else, half decent who can speak clearly to do the news report?? Does nobody want to work for these people or is there no Greek person who wants to work for a small channel like Odyssey?

From the list of companies I posted in my previous message, Ethnic Channels Group is the best bet. The guy who owns it has people behind him with deep pockets so he has money to spend to get programming rights. He told me that he planned on launching 30 channels, but now he has licenses for over 50. Odyssey on the other hand, is small potatoes compared to him and I don't think they have money to spend that is why the channels are so poor quality. Also up to now they have a monopoly so they think that people will subscribe to their channels no matter what, so they don't spend anything I think.

The unknown company I listed is owned by some lady called Bridgette Galucci. Stupid Italiians, very rude like Maniatakos. I called back when their licenses were approved and they were asking me stupid questions and spoke in an angry tone. I hope to hell they never launch anything because I am not giving my money to those idiots!

As for the Particia lady, I sent 2 emails and have yet to reicieve a reply. There is no phone number listed on the CRTC site so I don't know what she is about. I agree with you about her channels, what kind of descriptions are those, is she going to launch a Greek children's channel, there isn't one even in Greece, Jetix has all foreign shows from what I know so what vlakies are these? I wouldn't spend 15 bucks a month on a children's channel or channel for older people. What you need is a general interest service, not a niche channel.

Unfortunately ECG only has 2 Greek channels but even those will be butchered versions with local content. I think they should hire that Trialonis guy from Omni TV, he does a great job with the news report IMO. ECG told me they would be creating original programming in Greek but I am not sure exactly what.

Oh, when I asked Odyssey if they are looking to launch any new channels, she said 'everyone wants some channel from Athens, we can't have every channel from Athens' WTF?! :blink: I don't need every friggin' channel broadcasting in Greece, only the main ones. We already get ANT1 and ERT so the only one left IMO is MEGA. Alpha and Alter would be the only other two I would be interested in but I could live without them.

I will post if I find out anything new.

I am assuming the channel they are looking to launch might be Alpha Sat, which according to DKSat, the rights are held by someone else not Globestar.

In the other thread, DKSat had said that DirecTV own the rights to Alpha while Globestar is marketing it? Something like that.

Mr Dksat ,

I have been reading your posts for a while. Is this one of your cryptic messages? :whistle:

Because the situation in Canada is getting real bad. I want know what is the best way to get it through to everyones thick skull that we (Greek Canadians) want really good programming straight from Greece not some second tiers programming

For those interested,

I just spoke with Ethnic Channels Group and I was told that they will be launching MEGA Cosmos next month on Rogers Cable! :tup: It may also be added to Expressvu but seeing as how they are complaining about lack of space, don't look for it any time soon. They may also launch a second channel (either Alter Globe or Alpha Sat) but for now its MEGA. I say that for those not in Rogers areas, bombard Star Choice and Expressvu with emails and phone calls requesting they add MEGA to their line-ups. This is the only way these people are going to add any ethnic channel to their line-up.

I will believe it when I see it, but if this news is true all I can say is "ITS ABOUT DAMN TIME p*****THES!!!!!!!!"

For those in Toronto, check your local Greek papers as ECG will be taking out ads to advertise MEGA coming to Canada. Here are the websites for the 2 most read papers in Toronto:

Greek Press- www.greekpress.ca

Evdomada- www.evdomadaonline.com

There is  some excited news for the Greek Canadians.

It will be coming by land line and by sky very soon.

DKSat

I already posted this DKSat, MEGA Cosmos is coming next month via Ethnic Channels Group. If you have anything about any other channels, please share with us we are dying for information here.

As for your land and sky comment, I was told it would be launching on cable (Rogers) in the beginning, what have you been told?? This is not very exciting news for most since Rogers only broadcasts in Ontario, what about the rest of the country?? I hope it comes to Star Choice satellite and not Bell Expressvu because I don't like them and would not want to subscribe to their service.

HellasHab,

Its is being confirmed from my sources that Mega Cosmos is coming to Canada within 2 to 3 weeks it will be broadcasting from Bell Expressvu and Rogers cable and other Canadian cable companys.

There is future plans for , Alpha , Alter , Music Video Channel and 2 Radio stations to come to Canada .

I hope this is enough news for one day.

DKSat

Thanks for the info DKSat! :tup:

Its about damn time, stupid idiots took them over a year to bring MEGA Cosomos back to Canada. Unfortunately it looks like all we will ever get in Canada is butchered versions through Canadian channels. Oh well, something is better than nothing I guess. :(

Alter may be launching through Ethnic Channels Group, they have 2 Greek channels and Alpha could perhaps be coming through Odyssey as I was told they are looking to launch another channel. As for the video music channel, that could also be Odyssey if its Blue?!

What are the 2 radio stations you mentioned, can you not give us a hint? :D

HellasHab,

Do you think ERT SAT in Canada is butchered?

Thrylos2006,

What I mean by butchered, is the fact that all Canadian channels are required to have a certain percentage of Canadian content. As a result of that, the channels currently available in Canada are not the same as the ones available in the U.S. These are CDN services that contain programming from ERT or ANT1 or whatever Greek channels. If you compare the schedules of ERT World on Dishnet and ERT World Canada you will notice that some programming has been cut out because the Canadian channel has to have local programming.

The thing that really ticks me off, is that the so-called local programming that Odyssey TV has is CRAP. They don't even put in any effort to produce something of quality. If they did show something half decent then I 'might' be able to live with this version of ERT but they don't. Iam not sure what Ethnic Channels Group plans to do regarding local programming but I don't tihnk it will be much better. From what I understand, on their other channels they currently show travel videos to meet their Canadian content requirement. ;)

I think most people want the real thing, meaning direct from Greece without any filler stuff. Unfortunately that is not possible, so we are stuck with what we got.

Here is the latest email that I got from Videotron concerning mega cosmos

Madam, Sir, Thank you for your interest in Videotron's illico services. By virtue of the CRTC's regulations, the Mega Cosmos channel is not presently licensed for broadcasting in Canada. However, we have taken note of your interest in this channel and sent it to the department concerned. A popular channel could eventually be sponsored by Videotron for its introduction in Canada. However, this does not guarantee a subsequent approval for broadcasting We hope that these information answered your question. Thank you for your understanding. Marie-Claude Ladouceur Vidéotron administrative [email protected] web site: < http://www.videotron.com

so I guess it will be another "odyssey channel" with a lot of Canadian fillers

:tdown:

Guys,

Sorry to disappoint you but ERT World Canada is not the same as in the U.S. and is IMO a butchered version. All Canadian channels (and this IS a CDN channel) are required to show a certain amount of CDN programming. If you take a look at the schedule for ERT World Canada on Zap2it you will see that 'O Kanadas Simera' is shown 3 times each day at 5am, 11am & 6pm. The schedule on the abandoned Odyssey TV website shows the same thing. I think they update the schedule every week, the only thing they do on that site. Not sure what the point of having a website is if you never update it but that is another matter. Here is a link that should work: Zap2it

ERT World does not have as much 'crap' as OTN1 because it is only required to show 15% CDN content while OTN1 has a higher percentage. ERT World Canada's license was supposed to be up for renewal this year but that has been posponed until next year. If anyone is interested, I suggest filing a comment with the CRTC when the license comes up for renewal. I am thinking of doing this, just to tell them that they should not increase the CDN content percentage, because then it will become like OTN1- unwatchable. :tdown: I may also comment on their website and the fact that it has never been updated since the put it up several years ago but I don't think the CRTC gives a crap about that.

OFHMAN,

MEGA Cosmos, as I previously mentioned, will also be a Canadian channel with programming from MEGA so it too will have to show local programming. Under some new rules the CRTC implemented a while back regarding foreign channels, it is possible to have the 'real' Greek channels but none of the companies who own the rights (Globestar- MEGA & Alter, ANT1 & Globecast- ERT World) wanted to go this route. There are lots of channels that are approved for carriage in Canada that have gone this route. Look at RAI from Italy, its the real thing not a butchered version. Why can't the stupid companies I mentioned above have done the same for ANT1 or MEGA??

In the end all we are going to get here is stuff like Odyssey TV, unless something drastic changes regarding the CRTC and its stupid rules. IPTV may be an alternative but rights issues are an area of concern there.

For now I say enjoy MEGA (for those who can get it) because for now it won't be much different then ERT World Canada, probably only a couple of hours each day of CDN content. I say call Ethnic Channels Group and ask them to tell you what kind of local programming they plan to air.

HellasHab, I watched Ert yesterday and here in Montreal they DON"T butcher it up.I don't know how Maniatakos organizes the programing to comply with the CRTC and frankly I don't care. Actually I am going to cancel my subscription and find an alternate route to get my greek tv . When I see RAI International 3$ why should I pay 15$ to watch odyssey tv . Forget it and I think all Greek Canadian 9(ya you all there all the guests and anonymous users who check out this post) to boycott odyssey and you will see how fast OTN is going to jump. We have the power not him. Don't let them take advantage of us.Frankly we should have done the same as the Italians did we should write to our mp and force them to get us better Greek Tv.

Thank you

• 1 month later...

I contacted ECG about a week or so ago and the person told me that it was now supposed to be launching in September. When I told him that he had previously said August, he just said that he only knows what they tell him and he was told September. ;)

I am assuming that since most Greeks are on vacation in July and August that perhaps they posponed the launch until September when everyone is back from holidays. I would give it another week or so and if there is still nothing then give them a call and see what they say. The more people who call and bug them about it the sooner it will launch... I hope. :( .

On another note, I recently contacted Odyssey about the radio station they are launching and also made some inquiries about OTN. To my surprise I actually got a reply and more then one! These guys have never responded to any emails before so that threw me for a loop to say the least. In any event, Mr. Maniatakos told me that they are looking at bringing in MEGA & Alter. Not sure what is going on here but from what I was told Ethnic Channels Group is supposedly bringing MEGA to Canada so what he is talking about I don't know?! Globestar and ECG both told me it was coming and from their response it sounded like a sure thing, now Maniatakos is saying he is looking at MEGA. His wife gave me a different response when I spoke to her on the phone, it looks like everyone has a different story. This is getting crazier by the minute.

I WANT MEGA COSMOS, I DON'T CARE WHO LAUNCHES THE DAMN CHANNEL AS LONG AS IT IS FINALLY AVAILABLE IN CANADA- HOW DAMN HARD IS IT TO LAUNCH ONE FRIGGIN CHANNEL?! :angry: :tdown:

Archived