Phantis Forums

EURO 2008: Norway - Greece

dark_horse

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We'll have to be solid in this game. Pack out the midfield and fight for everything. I'd go for:

-----------------------------------------Chalkias---------------------------------------------

Seitaridis--------------------Goumas--------------Kyriakos---------------------Torosidis

Patsa----------------Katsouranis--------Basinas--------Karagounis----------Amanatidis

--------------------------------------------Gekas--------------------------------------------

We'll have to be solid in this game. Pack out the midfield and fight for everything. I'd go for:

-----------------------------------------Chalkias---------------------------------------------

Seitaridis--------------------Goumas--------------Kyriakos---------------------Torosidis

Patsa----------------Katsouranis--------Basinas--------Karagounis----------Amanatidis

--------------------------------------------Gekas--------------------------------------------

The formation is bang on for a road game,I would like to see papadopoulos instead of Amanatidis.Keep Amanatidis fresh , as a sub for Gekas, or to partner them up if we are down.I still remember the game vs Russia Paps held the left side well.

Qwik question.What is up with Lagos,is he healthy???

I hope Papasthopoulos gets a call, just to intergrate him with the squad, against a lesser opponent I would have liked to see hime get a run instead of Goumas

The formation is bang on for a road game,I would like to see papadopoulos instead of Amanatidis.Keep Amanatidis fresh , as a sub for Gekas, or to partner them up if we are down.I still remember the game vs Russia Paps held the left side well.

Qwik question.What is up with Lagos,is he healthy???

I hope Papasthopoulos gets a call, just to intergrate him with the squad, against a lesser opponent I would have liked to see hime get a run instead of Goumas

No, Lagos is still injured. I also agree about Papastathopoulos but this isnt the game to introduce him.

Norway return for veteran Johnsen

Ronny Johnsen has been recalled by Norway for their friendly against Argentina at the age of 38, over three years after winning his 61st cap.

In form

The Valerenga IF centre-half is included in a 20-man squad for the game in Oslo on 22 August, Norway's final warm-up before the Group C qualifiers against Moldova (away) and Greece (home) on 8 and 12 September. Coach Age Hareide said of Johnsen, a UEFA Champions League winner with Manchester United FC in 1999; "Ronny has performed well of late. He may be 38 years old but he is still playing at a high level."

Strand surprise

With Erik Hagen suspended for the game in Moldova, Johnsen is one of three players in line to replace the FC Zenit St. Petersburg defender along with club-mate Kjetil Waehler and Lillestrom SK's Frode Kippe. Another surprise selection saw Hareide call in Tromso IL midfielder Lars Iver Strand in place of Fredrik Stromstad whose form has mirrored that of his club IK Start.

Norway squad

Goalkeepers: Rune Jarstein (Odd Grenland), Hakon Opdal (SK Brann).

Defenders: Brede Hangeland (FC Kobenhavn), Jarl-Andre Storbaek (Valerenga IF), John-Arne Riise (Liverpool FC), Kjetil Waehler (Valerenga IF), Ronny Johnsen (Valerenga IF), Frode Kippe (Lillestrom SK), Jon Inge Hoiland (Malmo FF).

Midfielders: Lars Iver Strand (Tromso IL), Martin Andresen (SK Brann), Kristofer Haestad (IK Start), Bjorn Helge Riise (Lillestrom SK), Jan Gunnar Solli (SK Brann), Simen Brenne (Lillestrom SK), Morten Gamst Pedersen (Blackburn Rovers FC).

Forwards: Daniel Braaten (Bolton Wanderers FC), Steffen Iversen (Rosenborg BK), John Carew (Aston Villa FC), Thorstein Helstad (SK Brann).

You make a good point there Aek66, Chalkias isn't exactly a great goalkeeper like those youngsters Greece are developing. He is however a realible one to use in these critical matches than with Nikopolidis. 2 clean sheets from Malta and Hungary isn't enough to convince us he's our "saviour" for the Greek NT. He'll need to be battle tested to see if he can come up with big plays if he is truely our #1 goalkeeper. Bringing Dimitris Eleftheropoulos back to the Greek NT would not be such a bad idea, he is a bit younger than Chalkias. I watched a few matches in the Italian League, he looks to be in much better shape then he was with Olympiakos. :tup:

I watched a highlight from a Swedish network, they do indeed look dangerous. This is why Greece must play "mistake-free" football.

Norway may have looked good in beating Argentina, but bottom line is, it was a friendly. Questions that should be asked are:

Was Norway playing with their normal squad? I would guess yes, to put on a good showing in front of their home fans before a game with the group leaders (that would be us).

Was Argentina playing with their normal squad? I doubt it, game meant absolutely nothing to Argentina.

The game in Norway will be tough, but I think we will come through. :gr:

Friendlies shouldnt be a measure to be taken seriously. Hungary beat the WC Champs 3-1 and I dont think thats a sign that Hungary are a team to reckon with nor should it mean that Hungary will easily beat Bosnia at home..

what about karipides who plays for the Hearts for defensive back he could be the replacemrnt or team mate with Dellas centre back or sweeper? what do you think ;)

he's been in and out of the hearts team this season. when he plays he plays at right back, he's worth calling into the squad because he's miles better than vyntra but he's not good enough to displace seitaridis

Archived