Phantis Forums

Eurobasket 2007

Will Greece repeat as European Champions?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Will Greece repeat as European Champions?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How does the format of this tournament work? I thought after Greece played each team in their group and if they finished in the top 2, they would move on to the the knock out stages. I guess it's set up different, can someone please explain?

In the begging of the tournament were 4 groups:A,B,C,D.Each group had 4 teams.Each team played 3 games.The last of the group were eliminated.

A team takes only points from teams that passed the round.For example Greece won 2 games in the 1st round but the points against Serbia does not count because Serbia did not make it

Now We have 12 teams.ok?With these 12 teams were created 2 new groups E,F

The E group is from the 6 teams of the groups A and B

The F group from the 6 teams of the groups C and D

Now I take for example the E group.

Each team of the A group will play ONLY against each team from tha B group.

In the end they will pass only 4.The other 2 are eliminated

And we will have 4 teams from the E group and other 4 from the F group.

The 1st of the E group plays with the 4rth of the F

2nd with the 3rd

3rd with 2nd

4th with the 1st

I hope you understand it

To GS1905:

So if the 2 face its better from the 1st why do you have to insist with the first?

Well you know the Italians are in the same position as yours but they seem very optimistic.They say that it is very possible for them to pass.So cheer up.If they can do it,you can do it.

If Germany loses against Slovenia and Italy(it is possible),Italy against you(it is possible),and you win against France(this is the tough one).Then you will pass the round

It will be Germany 6 points,Italy 6 points,Turkey 7

To GS1905:

So if the 2 face its better from the 1st why do you have to insist with the first?

Well you know the Italians are in the same position as yours but they seem very optimistic.They say that it is very possible for them to pass.So cheer up.If they can do it,you can do it.

If Germany loses against Slovenia and Italy(it is possible),Italy against you(it is possible),and you win against France(this is the tough one).Then you will pass the round

It will be Germany 6 points,Italy 6 points,Turkey 7

I just saw the schedule.The bad news are that in the next game you play against Italy.And I dont know how they will react if you beat them.If they will have the need to win against Germany i mean.Because I believe that at 80% Germany will lose against

Slovenia

The Greeks have stumbled to two straight losses for a 1-2 record and could drop to fifth place in the six-team group (only the top four advance to the quarter-finals) with a loss and an Israel victory.

So I guess we're in luck what concerns Israel as they lost from Portugal earlier on.

Archived