Phantis Forums

Wanted: 1 New Manager

Akritis_1944

Any potential candidates for the position? I would like a foreigner. Louis Van Gaal from AZ Alkmar is my choice. But I have no say in anything, even though I personally would do a better job than Herr Otto.

Over the last 2 years Otto and his wife have done more than enough to defame and dishonour the galanoleuki fanela. This man is NOT bigger than our National team. I dont want to read about what he has done for us. We don't live in the past. We live in the here and now and every national team that has played us has been rubbing their hands at the prospect of embarassing us after Euro (i.e. Albania, Ukraine, England, Sth Korea, Japan, Australia etc)

It's not good enough to come up with excuses and use examples like Germany losing 1 - 5 etc etc. We aren't Germany or any other nation. Why is it that we get pumped by England 4 zip but in England's very next match they get outplayed by FYROM?????

Are FYROM better than us? IS Israel better than us? They probably are as things are right at this moment with our andrikelo for a coach...but I won't ever except this.

We can also start by never ever putting in Niko-a******s in goal again. I hope for his sake that whatever he made for throwing the match was worth it.

How about forgetting the undiscussed blacklisting of players and selecting Tavlaridis and Zikos??? Why are these players not in our team???

dev tha stamatiso tin antidrasi otan blepo pos exoume katatvisi. O Otto eine abalos kai autos eine epeuthinos gia auti tin rezilia. Megali vtropi se olous pou exoun sunergasia me auti tin omada. An o Germanos eine aksioprephs, tha fugei topa.

Isn't the problem deeper than the coach?

I know, as an English fan I shouldn't really being there to criticize Greece BUT Greek teams are not doing well in Europe at the moment. Look at Olympiakos, AEK or Panathinaikos, not brilliant is it? Not to mention PAOK or the smaller clubs that don't last a round in UEFA or Intertoto.

In the line on Saturday, how many players are proper regulars in their team?

Eriksson has been well-criticized in England and now we do regret him a bit

when we look at McClaren. The Swede built a new team with a good defence and also put forward someone like Owen Hargraves whose bloody awesome for England (yesterday he did play well).

Now, he could be a good manager for Greece but he would need the sort of striker England had during his 5 years in place, the like of Mickael Owen.

Samaras is a major disappointment here in England. At first, he looked great but now seems lost in the mediocrity of the foreign players at Man City (I'm racist in saying this, it seems that only the Brits are playing for the blues!)

Having said that, Greece is still in good position, Norway looks awful at the moment and Greece has won in Bosnia.

I don't know if Bajevic is the answer but i think he will do good. He knows the Greek players so he might be a good fit. About Otto he should have left after the Euro. He did an amazing job and he should have left on top!!!

I know, as an English fan I shouldn't really being there to criticize Greece BUT Greek teams are not doing well in Europe at the moment. Look at Olympiakos, AEK or Panathinaikos, not brilliant is it? Not to mention PAOK or the smaller clubs that don't last a round in UEFA or Intertoto.

In the line on Saturday, how many players are proper regulars in their team?

Eriksson has been well-criticized in England and now we do regret him a bit

when we look at McClaren. The Swede built a new team with a good defence and also put forward someone like Owen Hargraves whose bloody awesome for England (yesterday he did play well).

Now, he could be a good manager for Greece but he would need the sort of striker England had during his 5 years in place, the like of Mickael Owen.

Samaras is a major disappointment here in England. At first, he looked great but now seems lost in the mediocrity of the foreign players at Man City (I'm racist in saying this, it seems that only the Brits are playing for the blues!)

Having said that, Greece is still in good position, Norway looks awful at the moment and Greece has won in Bosnia.

Of course you're not out of line criticising the team, it's great to have input from a foreigner regarding our team and you make some excellent points. The problems do run deeper than the coach but without him Greece can still compete with the top teams. I dont mean the A rate teams like Brazil, Italy, England, etc. But If we had a better manager we would at least be in the B' rate teams (Sweden, Denmark, Croatia, etc). Gekas is top scorer in Germany but doesnt get a look in, Salpi is top scorer in Greece but doesnt get a look in, Tavlaridis is a consistent performer at one of France's top clubs but doesnt get a look in... can you see a pattern here?

We have young talents, Torosidis is potentially great. Big, strong, quick and direct. He can play right-back, centre midfielder, & right midfield. Where does Otto go and play him???? Left back! He just isnt giving youngsters a chance. Last night we were out run by them. Our current crop are too old now, and as you say some just aren't good enough yet Otto sticks with them. The problem starts with him I'm afraid. :(

From the domestically known managers only Bajevic would be good enough.

From the rest, I would go with a defensively sound manager. We dont have the flair in our footballing culture, or the depth to be attacking especially because our defense lacks pace, playing a high line is suicidal, as we saw yesterday. George Graham could be an option. The problem would be finding a manager who has enough know-how on the Greek league. He would have to be willing to move to Greece.

i don't know of any decent greek manager and i can't think of a good foreign manager that will be willing to coach this team. the goalkeeper is awful but chalkias is worse. and besides ninis and papastathopoulos don't know of any decent young greek players. also tavlarides needs to be playing why otto keeps ignoring him i don't know. in goal i'd probably go for eleftheropoulos, nikopolidis played badly in the world cup qualifiers the lack of competant keepers in greece is amazing.

We can't blame Rehaggel for Kyrgiakos' failing to move forward on the first goal or for Nikopolidis' mistakes on goals 2 and 3.

Whta happened, happened. Rehaggel will prove how good a coach he is by regrouping the team in time for the Malta game.

otto is the worst coach ive seen in a long time the idiot has to go. he makes the stupidest decisions with the players he picks and his shitty tactics most of the time and never gives any1 a fair chance or at least a deserved chance in stead he sticks to the same losers and he makes it look like greece has absolutely no depth. with otto in charge greece is moving backwards and its going to be hard to recover. and why does he never choose tavlaridis whats wrong with him?

some players need to go or be benched. as soon as otto leaves this line up would be what id like to see

............................chalkias

giorkas......tavlaridis....kyrgiakos....torossidis/ patsatzoglou

.............................basinas

..........................katsouranis

....karagounis............................amanatidis/ salpigidis/ (castillo? doubt it)

...................gekas..............samaras

bench

GK

nikopolidis/ eletheropoulis (ele if he starts playing consistently in greece or italy 1st division should replace niko)

sifakis

DEF

dellas

patsatzoglou/ torossidis

a. papadopoulos

spyropoulis

MID

stelios

lagos

zikos/ illiadis

tziolis

FOR

salpigidis/amanatidis

charisteas

see greece has the players but otto is a shocking manager and sticks to the same players for some reason.........its a joke

We can't blame Rehaggel for Kyrgiakos' failing to move forward on the first goal or for Nikopolidis' mistakes on goals 2 and 3.

Whta happened, happened. Rehaggel will prove how good a coach he is by regrouping the team in time for the Malta game.

Actually you can blame Otto for that. Nikopolidis should've retired after the Euro 2004.

As far as the topic of this forum is concerned, I am sure that TOPALIDIS would be the ideal replacement for Otto. He is the one who has been advising otto about some players (torosidis for example) and he knows everything about the Greek team. It would be the smoothest of all transitions.

I have a lot of reservations about all the other coaches mentioned in ths forum so far, both because they don't know about Greek football and national team. On that note, apart from TOPALIDIS, who is my first choice, the second should be a foreigner who knows about Greek football, and unfortunately, that is only Dusan Bajevic. Any other recommendations about a coach who knows about the Greek national team?

I look forward to your justified recommendations; but one thing is sure, that Otto MUST go.

:gr:

NO.

This is the purest example of a coach being responsbile you can get. This is not only humiliation from rivals, this is 3 years of awful preformances and humiliations. Rehagel has set his lineup in 2001 and is refusing to change it.

We are seeing players that were part of the Euros change, and Otto will incorporate them into the team NO MATTER ANY FACTOR whatsoever - all they have to do is be able to walk. Form was never considered in lineups. Players are rarely and only recently being tried out. There is no foundation for a new generation. Its repeating what is old and outdated, and trying to keep the same players. And guess what, it doesnt work. Watch our games its ALL evidence what hes been doing 3 years now is simply a failure.

Irlandos - dont try to pin the blame on Kyrgiakos for that goal - its 150% nikopolidis - the ball was directly at him and he had PLENTY of space. Why on earth he chose to punch instead of catch (an EASY catch mind you) confuses the footballing world. And everygoalkeeper knows you DONT CLEAR OR PUNCH TO THE TOP OF THE AREA- only to the wings.

The problem here everyone does start from the top and it goes down to the players.

When Otto frist came onot the scene the players played the games w/ heart and listened to him from begining till end.

Right now our players have become these "pre-madonnas" and they know that they are going to be in the starting 11 and that's it.

They're already heroes, and nothing is going to change with that.

What we need to do is hire a Greek coach (one that's qualified w/ license to coach and actually has some BALLS)

It's this that we need and at the moment it's sad that we can only get that from someone outside of Greece.

The problem here everyone does start from the top and it goes down to the players.

When Otto frist came onot the scene the players played the games w/ heart and listened to him from begining till end.

Right now our players have become these "pre-madonnas" and they know that they are going to be in the starting 11 and that's it.

They're already heroes, and nothing is going to change with that.

What we need to do is hire a Greek coach (one that's qualified w/ license to coach and actually has some BALLS)

It's this that we need and at the moment it's sad that we can only get that from someone outside of Greece.

There is really no Greek coach that is good enought to take over the NT. The only coach i can see will be Bagevic because he knows the Greek players and there mentality!!!!

haha, what has otto's wife done to deserve your scorn? i'm sure she makes some tasty strudel.

to be fair, you brought up fyrom and israel...'are they better than us'?

i don't think they are better than us, but they certainly play more attractive football than us, and the fact that fyrom and israel utilize wide play, keeps them in most matches with the giants of football.

the pitch is huge, use it to spread out the opponents and to pressurize the opponent's defense.

for the very short term: if lagos was 100%, i'd say drop either basinas or karagounis. utilize stelios as a right midfielder, samaras and gekas up front...and there's your 4-4-2.

it is also time for nikopolidi to go. and this paliatso is the captain?

i'd call up eleftheropoulo and kotsolis.

anyways, i expect otto to make wholesale changes. i'm guessing tavlaridi will get called up. we need to find a left back...maybe we can naturalize someone, anyone...willing to play left back for us.

as far as a greek manager? forget it..my favorite was the tsabouka alefantos. what a piece of nationalistic garbage.

louis van gaal would find it unacceptable that in a nation of x-amount of footballers, there isn't anyone with a quality left foot. i think he'd turn us down..

I wasn't joking when I brought up his wife. That comment was in relation to Otto who got annoyed at a press conference after the England humiliation last year when the press asked him who influences his team selections.

This is where he got irrate and said that the only one with any influence on the team is his wife!!!

What does she have to do with selecting our NT? I agree with you I am sure she is a nice German woman who can whip up a mean strudel and saur kraut, but she really shouldnt be meddling in our NT affairs.

Also I agree with the concept of playing with width like some of the "lesser" teams, one of which we are now at the bottom of that pile.

After the 2004 Euro I was hoping Otto would stay on and keep moving the team forward. I was thrilled when he decided to stay w/us. However soon after his first few games I realized there would be no repeat of his magic. Over time, his lack of creativity became annoying as I started to see the team slide and now, it is obvious that his time has come.

Thanks for the memories and the glory but the magic moment has passed and everyone else has moved on except for us. We need a new coach, new blood and a strong team captain. Otto refuses to budge on this and so a new coach. Who should lead the team is a good question for which I have no answer...

According to Sportime.gr Gagatsis has spoken to Rehhagel on Sunday regarding the critical game with Malta this Wednesday, and, essentially, told Rehhagel that the result must be positive or else! Clearly Gagatsis was intimating that he may be replaced.

Honestly, I see Rehhagel on board until 2010! (perhaps with the same players :LOL: ) But seriously, I think the entire team will improve their performance dramatically for the remainder of this qualifying campaign. One thing Rehhagel deserves credit for is the fact that, under him, we have not had consistent bad results; we lose a game and bounce back. Remember all the other times we failed to qualify for any major tournament decade after decade? Before Euro 2004, we never even won a match at a Euro, and only qualified for one WC in 94, which was a total fiasco!

Oh, they also stated that Torosidis is definitely starting in place of Fyssas.

I hope Turkey loses or draws to Norway, because if they don't, there is a possibility that our side may prematurely conclude that our 2nd place qualification is clinched and become complacent; they need to be kept on their toes!

Well! Here's a question for everyone then.....

Ok lets say that we do make it to the finals of the Euro 2008.. Then is Gagatsis and Otto going to bring the same old foggies to this tournament?

It's going to be a joke.... How long are we going to keep dragging these fools into this mix? I still blame EPO for all of this because I trully believe that they are the ones that are influencing the "coaching staff" on bringing these guys back and to making them play..

:tdown: :tdown:

Sports is based on what you are delivering and what you will deliver in the future. What one did in the past is irrelevant if you can not deliver the goods now. Everyone knows that as do the players themselves. Otto did a great job for a period in our history but he ain't cutting it now and that is why he has to go!

If he showed flexibility in his selection choices, if he showed creativity in his game plan, if he studied his opponents better, if he wasn't so damn stubborn about Zikos, Tavlaridis, etc. he should be given another chance. However, if he does only some or none of these, then he should find another team to coach or enjoy his retirement.

About Otto been sturburn that is the damn truth!!! He never called Ziko to the NT and the guy was in the starting 11 for Monaco for ever and he played in the finals of the CL. But NO he was not good for the NT? What about Soltidis? The guy plays awsome for Oly. He is tall and physical. Otto dosen't see that? If he dosen't he needs to LEAVE NOW!!!! We need to get a coach that can use the Greek talent. Oh and another player what about Tavlaridis for Leon? Is he not good either?

did you forget how long we went without scoring in the world cup qualifying plus confed cup?

dont compare ottos team to past teams. in 2002 we didnt make the world cup in a group with germany and england! come on we wouldnt qualify in that group now as well. the qualification group for the world cup 06 was easy compared to that.

also aek players boycotted the ethniki in protest of the poor refereeing in the greek league. this meant no nikolaidis, tsiartas and zagorakis in their prime. i follow the ethniki for years. the ffotball we display now is worse than what we played years ago. saturdays game was easily the worst home game i ever saw from greece. having said that the game in bosnia wasnt better, just the result.

torosidis is not a left back. if otto wants one he will have to get spyropoulos!!! he is even wasted as a right back. he excels in def mid at olympiakos. only otto doesnt know that.

if norway wins in turkey, we are in trouble.

Look, you are right, we have had some bad times with Rehhagel. But, remember, you are talking about results in the Conf. cup! The fact that we were even there speaks for itself! We did have some scoring issues, but remember we only narrowly missed out on qualifying. In the last WC qual., we only had 7 pts; only 2 wins and 1 draw (the draw was with England after Rehhagel took over)! In the past our results were never any better and we were never taken seriously.

Bottom line, you may be right. I guess I still have a slight weakness for Rehhagel because of Euro2004, and still have a shred of hope left in me. I too had some harsh feelings about Rehagel and his choice of team after Sat. myself; however, I'm starting to rethink whether any drastic changes now will be to our benefit.

As for Torosidis, I don't know what to say; I was under the impression he was a wingback--I personally don't know how he performs as a def. midfielder. Regardless, we don't need another defensive midfielder. As seen on Sat., the majority of the pressure was on the left side, not the middle. We need to need strength on the wings, that is crucial! Fyssas is slow and old, he has to go!

Archived