Phantis Forums

EURO 2008: Malta - Greece

Ziaka

On Wednesday we play Malta for a qualifyining game for Euro 2008. This follows the game with Turkey. Of in terest is the fact that Greece never beat Malta in Malta.

Our history with Malta is 6 games - 3 wins, 2 ties, 1 loss

All our games with Malta have been part of Euro championships qualifying competition.

For more details on our games with Malta check this link:

Greece - Malta history

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have to rebound from today's embarrassment and beat Malta. :box:

We can't take anything for granted, Malta are heating up with a win and a draw in their last two qualifiers! We must also try to use guys like Gekas in place of Charisteas from the start! And I am not so sure about playing Fyssas either! Germanos, you are also in question... you showed today that you are unsure of who should be playing, making those subs after the 60th minute... that said, I would rather have a Greek coach! Finally, Nikopolidis, at least let the ball hit you for goodness sake!

Sorry for the mini-rant, come on ELLAS :gr:

After watching the game live on the web and having time to absorb what happened, this Greek team is in serious trouble. After the 5th minute, Greece showed no heart or passion through the game except for little spurts during the second half. I dont agree that it was ONLY Nikopolidis' errors and Rehhagel's choice of players. Turkey was the better team and showed more creativity, urgency, and passion to win and with some of their players out. Even without Nikopolidis errors and Rehhagel's choice of players, particularily Charisteas instead of Gekas, Greece would have still lost. Greece lost as a whole and not only because of Nikopolidis or certain other players bad performances. Rehhagel could also be blamed for the team being unprepared and playing flat. However, the biggest reason of all could be that Turkey is a better team than Greece, especially on offense

Turkey manage to kill Greece with half of their starting players out, playing on the road in Athens, a day before Greece's Independence Day, and playing in a stadium named after one of the revolutionary leaders. With all this factors added to the equation, this SHOULD have been the game for Greece to win 4-1. But Turkey wanted to win more than Greece did. This is the kind of game that could tear the national team apart. But, fortunately, Bosnia did Greece a HUGE favor by winning in Norway and they still have a shot.

Congratulations to Turkey on a well-deserved win.

Here is my solution to the whole goal scoring situation. During every match, everyone --Amanatidis and Gekas in particular -- should deliberately aim for the post!

My logic is as such: If our strikers are currently aiming for the net and instead are hitting the posts, then by aiming for the posts, perhaps, just maybe, the ball will find itself in the back of the net! :P

If they follow this course I predict, out of 29 shots on target, 1-0 win for Greece against Malta! :tup:

Forget Rehhagel, I should be the new coach! :LOL:

Here is my solution to the whole goal scoring situation. During every match, everyone --Amanatidis and Gekas in particular -- should deliberately aim for the post!

thats actually a real tactic (at least in lacrosse) players are told to aim for the post - if they miss its 50-50 that it will go in and hit a corner pocket...

I see a 1-1 or 2-1 Greece, we never beat Malta and Malta actually got a result the other day...

Im not sad seeing a bad result to speed up the new coach process which has to happen for Greece to go forward

I see a 1-1 or 2-1 Greece, we never beat Malta and Malta actually got a result the other day...

Im not sad seeing a bad result to speed up the new coach process which has to happen for Greece to go forward

YAP! Sumfono!

We win - we win.

We lose or draw hopefully = No more Otto = win.

After yesterdays result i don't see anything possitive for this game. If we get a draw that will be a good result. Maybe this is the time to start Xalkias and Gekas!!! :tup: :tup:

Greece looked slow and old during the course of the game. Turkey may have used some back ups but they could at least run and last time I checked running was still an integral part of a soccer match.

This also begs the question....if Greece does qualify won't all these old players be even older once the Euro 2008 begins and how much slower will they be at that time.

Even one or two players without a lot of soccer skill can be useful if they just have some speed. If Charisteas had some speed in the first half he would have scored on that long ball but of course the Turkish keeper got there first.

As for the Malta game ....Greece will win but I sense it will be something like the Moldova game where a corner kick in the last 12 minutes manages to find its way in. It won't be a classic but Greece needs the points right now.

A loss in Malta means that Greece could be looking at a 4th place finish. Boz-herz is in 3rd place in case you didn't know and Norway still plans to make a run as their schedule becomes favourable starting in June.

After yesterdays result i don't see anything possitive for this game. If we get a draw that will be a good result. Maybe this is the time to start Xalkias and Gekas!!! :tup: :tup:

Not only those 2 guys but lets hope that Otto brings in a couple of new guys into the lineup (especially in the back)

the 1-0 scoreline looks good for our team.

I saw some of the headlines and read about the Malta game and they had 1 sending off and didn't really produce any good chances in that game.

Samaras is on form and he's going to score against this bad defense of Malta

I cannot se a positive result, this squad and coach will get lambastd by the press over the next 3 days. How do you think training will go on Monday and Tuesday.Maybe they'll fire BEACH BALLS at Nikopolidis!

Paidia who is the leader on this squad,a guy who will grab a guy and make him accountable for his poor play. Please do not say Karagounis,he is a whiner and a diver, If he would fight thru a couple of the challenges instead of flopping(like he use to ) then yes there is our leader.

We have a squad with no identity,no passion,no cohesiveness!

We play lackluster boring football, thats fine with me but please dont play 4-3-3, play a 4-5-1 clog up the kentro, outnumber your opposition in your half stay disciplined and wait for their mistake!

I think not having 2 solid leftfooters on this squad is disgraceful, Fyssas was a wonderful player,his time has passed,Lagos' injury came at a bad time because Otto was starting to intergrate him in AT LEFT BACK , but hi a mid, Darlas got called and then he has disappeared what is wrong he runs to much!

If Torosidis is as strong and fast as some say then he should play Right mid ,since he plays right backas wellgiourkas chances to overlap(imagine that) knowing Toro will cover his A$$. Now Giourkas sees Stelios on the respirator pou na pai to paidi!

VS MALTA

Chalkias (Sifakis your time is NOW)

Giourkas

Anatolakis(Keep the spot warm for Tavlaridis)

Kyriakos(Potential Capt)

Fyssas

Torosidis

Katsouranis(Potential Capt)

Tziolis

Karagounis

Gekas

Samaras

Archived